2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Well the one thing I love is the battery, no longer hidden under the cowl...and looks less cluddered too under the hood for the 2.0.......Don't care for new dash compared to mine.. Nice wheels though...cargo area not as flat either...

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
The design of the 2020 is growing on me. It usually takes a while with major redesigns. But I'm sad that the naturally aspirated 2.5 liter engine is no longer an option.

Peruse this forum and you will find that the 2.5 is absolutely the engine that has had the least amount of problems. It is a very tried and true design. I have had 2 of them in Escapes, both base "S" models Absolutely ZERO issues, gas mileage of 25 mpg city, 31 mpg highway, 28 mpg combined for both of them give or take a mpg. I currently have a 2018 with the 2.5. Couldn't be happier.

Is the 2.5 liter engine as snappy as any of the turbo Ecoboost options? Of course not! But not everyone wants a turbo and the increased overall costs and maintenance issues that go along with that turbo. I simply wanted an Escape to get me from point A to point B. And the 2.5 does that all day, all year long.

But turbos seems to be the way forward for all of the mfgs. I get it. The turbo equipped engines are for sure getting better every year but I sure hope that reliability index increases along with the other benefits. But if you don't want a turbo? Get a 2019 while they still offer the 2.5!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The design of the 2020 is growing on me. It usually takes a while with major redesigns. But I'm sad that the naturally aspirated 2.5 liter engine is no longer an option.

Peruse this forum and you will find that the 2.5 is absolutely the engine that has had the least amount of problems. It is a very tried and true design. I have had 2 of them in Escapes, both base "S" models Absolutely ZERO issues, gas mileage of 25 mpg city, 31 mpg highway, 28 mpg combined for both of them give or take a mpg. I currently have a 2018 with the 2.5. Couldn't be happier.

Is the 2.5 liter engine as snappy as any of the turbo Ecoboost options? Of course not! But not everyone wants a turbo and the increased overall costs and maintenance issues that go along with that turbo. I simply wanted an Escape to get me from point A to point B. And the 2.5 does that all day, all year long.

But turbos seems to be the way forward for all of the mfgs. I get it. The turbo equipped engines are for sure getting better every year but I sure hope that reliability index increases along with the other benefits. But if you don't want a turbo? Get a 2019 while they still offer the 2.5!

Ive mentioned before on these forums, our company provides us with 2.5 S escapes. Had several, back to the previous boxy gens. They are pretty decent although certainly lack the midrange fun pull of the eco boosts. I currently have a 2016 with nearly 100k on it, only issue Ive had was a bad throttle body that left me stranded once. I think the new 2020 gen base models get the 3 cylinder turbo but not entirely sure since the build and price function is not active yet online for the new gen. I'm due for a new one this fall....we will see.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the one thing I love is the battery, no longer hidden under the cowl...and looks less cluddered too under the hood for the 2.0.......Don't care for new dash compared to mine.. Nice wheels though...cargo area not as flat either...
Yea, I'm sure they did some research to see what designs and features to include.....its a pretty important vehicle for Ford to get right since they aren't making cars anymore and I IIRC the second best seller behind the F150. I could get used to it but I have no need for a new one for several more years.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Oh, it's the "zonk" guy.... Pffff

·
Registered
87 Posts
Noticed the foam engine cover is back....also, it looks like you can actual access the oil filler tube. The top cowl tray is much smaller allowing access to the battery, as stated before.

·
Banned
246 Posts
Yea, I'm sure they did some research to see what designs and features to include.....its a pretty important vehicle for Ford to get right since they aren't making cars anymore and I IIRC the second best seller behind the F150. I could get used to it but I have no need for a new one for several more years.
I am wondering if that’s still true, the Escape suffered a steep decline in sales in 2018/2019....perhaps the Explorer now holds that spot in the line up?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am wondering if that’s still true, the Escape suffered a steep decline in sales in 2018/2019....perhaps the Explorer now holds that spot in the line up?
It was way over due for a design refresh I think...
Be interested to see how sales for for this thing.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0l Ecoboost
972 Posts
I don't dislike the appearance of the 2020 Exscape any worse than I dislike the 2017 appearance... so I guess that's sort of a plus, and I really like the driver's heads up display... should help the driver keep his eyes on the road where they belong.

Reactions: MoneyPit1946

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The Kuga wears the new look better. Though I vote that for the current gen too.

·
Banned
246 Posts
I agree...the new Escape looks like a Kia or Hyundai, one would have a hard time guessing who made it if all the badges were removed.

·
Registered
686 Posts
So which one looks better?! View attachment 75168
Except for the mouthy "smily face" on the new one, the 2020 design is otherwise looking interesting, like a Mazda. Considering the ties between Mazda and Ford, I think that is the influence here. I keep my cars for 10 years or more, so I'll wait until then for a new car, unless something goes drastically wrong with my '17.

Reactions: MoneyPit1946

·
Banned
246 Posts
Except for the mouthy "smily face" on the new one, the 2020 design is otherwise looking interesting, like a Mazda. Considering the ties between Mazda and Ford, I think that is the influence here. I keep my cars for 10 years or more, so I'll wait until then for a new car, unless something goes drastically wrong with my '17.
there are no ties between Mazda and Ford anymore....Mazda is now tied to Toyota.

·
Registered
462 Posts
RE: '20 Explorer- Comparably equipped they are running $3500-6800 over the '19s due to package bundling differences. E.G., you have to jump to the top package to get a sunroof. Declining sales- 1.5L porous block defect becoming widely known? Paraphrasing an old maxim; an ebb tide lowers all boats.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Agree on the design growing on me. I actually like the rear of the 2020 better than the 2018...I've not been a fan of how the plastic strip on the bottom of the tailgate looks on the current generation...looks out of place, IMO.

Interesting that they're going away from the symmetric windshield wiper design. I like how much more coverage the current wiper design provides. Glad to see the battery is more easily accessible, and how you don't need tools to change the engine air filter. I miss that from my 2010 Fusion. Unlike this reviewer, I'm not bent out of shape that it has a prop rod for the hood.

Pros:
-Toolless engine air filter change
-Battery is easily accessible
-Overall design of the rest of the dash - looks cleaner than the gen-3
-Sliding rear seats
-True rear bumper, no awkward plastic trim along the bottom of the tailgate
-Shark fin antenna

Cons:
-Front end design, while it's growing, I still prefer the 2017-19 design
-Hate the tablet-style center, but it looks like that is becoming an industry standard
-No inner tray inside the arm rest
-Odd looking notch where the rear bumper meets the corners
-Still pathetic cargo area lighting
-Lack of side storage cubies in the cargo area

Those with coolant level concerns with the gen-3 1.5L & 2.0L...note how low this one was filled.

·
Registered
285 Posts
RE: '20 Explorer- Comparably equipped they are running $3500-6800 over the '19s due to package bundling differences. E.G., you have to jump to the top package to get a sunroof. Declining sales- 1.5L porous block defect becoming widely known?
Doubt it. I think it's typical end of design sales slumps. Why do people buy a new car? Because they want the latest and greatest features/design. They're not going to want last year's design.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts