2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished a 5,000 mile trip in our new 2020 Escape Hybrid. The actual mpg (not indicated) was 31.7. Our 2016 Cmax made 36 mpg on close to the same trip last year. I am sure that colder weather would cause a drop, but was expecting it to be closer to 36 mpg. The EPA estimated 37 highway. Needless to say, I am disappointed.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Just finished a 5,000 mile trip in our new 2020 Escape Hybrid. The actual mpg (not indicated) was 31.7. Our 2016 Cmax made 36 mpg on close to the same trip last year. I am sure that colder weather would cause a drop, but was expecting it to be closer to 36 mpg. The EPA estimated 37 highway. Needless to say, I am disappointed.
Just curious as I am considering a hybrid if Ford keeps the closed block engine on it. At highway speed which engine will be the primary driver? My understanding is that the combustion engine will take over depending on speed. That and new engine breakin may explain?

·
Registered
502 Posts
EPA numbers are an estimate. What was your average speed and what part of the country you driving in? Towing anything? What Octane fuel you use?

Tons of factors/variables affect MPG. Weather is one as you have acknowledged. Denser (cold) air requires more fuel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EPA numbers are an estimate. What was your average speed and what part of the country you driving in? Towing anything? What Octane fuel you use?

Tons of factors/variables affect MPG. Weather is one as you have acknowledged. Denser (cold) air requires more fuel.
The trip was Idaho to Kentucky and return. Most all interstate, 70 - 80 mph. Best mileage was between Laramie, WY and Limon, CO 37 mpg. Worst was Laramie to Ogden, UT with a strong cross wind, 28 mpg. Most of the trip was above freezing, except for the last day as it was -6 departing Laramie. We did a similar trip last April in the C-max and made 36.

Hopefully things will improve.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just curious as I am considering a hybrid if Ford keeps the closed block engine on it. At highway speed which engine will be the primary driver? My understanding is that the combustion engine will take over depending on speed. That and new engine breakin may explain?
At highway speeds you are using the gas engine most of the time, except going down hills. Sometimes both when pulling a long grade.

·
Registered
56 Posts
With mine, I've found I get 38mpg with mixed highway/city driving. I don't drive slow, but I hypermile it when I can in the city. When it gets below freezing my milage noticeably drops. Likely due to the heat needed for the cabin causing the engine to run more. I got 31mpg on my 23 mile mostly highway commute this morning in 15ºF weather where I normally get 38-42mpg on the same commute when above freezing. I ran my first tank on 87 dealer fill, on my second tank which is 93 now.

C&D's review said they averaged 30mpg total in theirs. I'm not sure how it was that low, but their 75mph highway test yielded 32mpg. I would expect between 30-32mpg at 80mph all highway.

One feature I'm really annoyed this car doesn't have is Eco Cruise. In the Focus/Cmax hybrid's and energi's it would limit the acceleration when cruise control is active. With adaptive cruise this was nice if you got over to pass someone after the car had slowed down some. The Escape will nearly floor itself to get back up to speed where Eco Cruise on my Fusion would gradually come back up to speed in a normal way I would do it. Sometimes I'll cancel cruise to accelerate slower myself.

Reactions: Phaedrus

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear you on the Eco Cruise. It was a little annoying how it would accelerate so fast when after adaptive cruise slowed you down. I found that I had to get into the passing lane earlier than I was use to in order to keep the adaptive cruise from jerking the acceleration around. I also would kill the cruise at times waiting to pass.

On the C-max you could select "Eco" drive mode, and it would stay in Eco mode until you manually shut it off on the button on the dash. On the Escape, when you select Eco mode, it will go back to normal after the car has been shut down and you restart. There doesn't seem to be way to keep it in Eco mode. I am not sure how much of a difference the Eco mode makes..

All-in-all, we really enjoyed the car on this trip. Comfortable, roomy enough, and drove vey nice.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I'm just guessing based on looks but the C-Max has a better aero coefficient of drag and smaller cross-sectional area and so would get better hwy mileage.

We're both trips at comparable speed?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,422 Posts
An interstate/ highway journey is probably the worst case scenario for displaying any fuel economy advantage of a hybrid. They work better in city/ suburban driving where you get a lot of energy return from decelerating and braking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, both trips at comparable speeds. It seems that the Escape exhibited more power getting up the long grades than the C-max. Agreed that a cross country interstate trip is not the hybrid's sweet spot.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,422 Posts
You're also lugging all that extra hybrid electrical gear on your highway trip. What's the weight comparison like between the two vehicles?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The C-max had a cub weight of 3,640 lbs. and the Escape hybrid 3,706 lbs. That is surprising to me that only 66 lbs difference for a bigger vehicle, I would have thought it would have been more.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ours is too new to say anything about long distance mileage, but my expectations aren't high. This is a wider, taller car than C-Max, so I expect to lose 10% off the top on the highway. That's about what you saw.

Frank

·
Registered
56 Posts
I hear you on the Eco Cruise. It was a little annoying how it would accelerate so fast when after adaptive cruise slowed you down. I found that I had to get into the passing lane earlier than I was use to in order to keep the adaptive cruise from jerking the acceleration around. I also would kill the cruise at times waiting to pass.
Yeah I do the same thing and just get over early. However if for some reason you can't do that the eco cruise was nice where it didn't just slam on the gas to get back up to speed. Been driving with adaptive cruise for a few years, I think I have the best practices that work for me down.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The trip was Idaho to Kentucky and return. Most all interstate, 70 - 80 mph. Best mileage was between Laramie, WY and Limon, CO 37 mpg. Worst was Laramie to Ogden, UT with a strong cross wind, 28 mpg. Most of the trip was above freezing, except for the last day as it was -6 departing Laramie. We did a similar trip last April in the C-max and made 36.

Hopefully things will improve.
Hmmm...I was going to say that the 70-80 mph range is beyond the speeds used for EPA calculations (normally 60mph) of Highway mpg but, in doing my research, I found that the EPA does indeed use "up to 80 mph drive cycles" to help determine averages. It used to be 60 (or even lower). You can PDF it from the within the link this takes you to. Makes it easier to read. There's also links to describe what a drive cycle is and how its performed.

They also include cold weather temps but I didnt delve into that. My guess is that ambient temps may be tested but don't weight heavily in the averages. Say 1 test out of 5 is conducted. It would not severely impact the average in that way.

·
Registered
75 Posts
70-80 mph isn't a good MPG range for a FEH, next time raise your tire pressure to 44PSI and go 65-70 mph and see what you get. Drafting will add 2-4 mpg also. Once I get my FEHPlugin and do some testing I will be able to give more accurate suggestions.

Paul

·
Registered
56 Posts
We had a couple warmer days here and I've been really impressed with my fuel economy. If I stay at about 65mph I get roughly 43MPG on my drive to and from work which is 80% highway. If I do all city I can easily get 50mpg on some routes, but never under 40. If I go 70mph I'm down to 36/37mpg usually. 80mph is closer to 32mpg. When I'm off the highway I purposely drive in an efficiently way, trying to stay in electric or use the gas to get up to speed then make electric only kick in to maintain. I also sometimes watch the SoC of the battery on my phone. It usually allows 15kW up until about 36% SoC then it starts to lower the threshold to kick the engine in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We're waiting for our new Titanium Hybrid to be built but we have had a C-Max Hybrid for 5.5 years and my experience is the same on speed. It does well (38-40 mpg) at 65mph, but that drops to 34-35 at 75mph. The C-Max is somewhat more aerodynamic than the 2020 Escape so a slightly lower mpg for highway driving makes sense.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts