2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium
480 Posts
Of course there are other variables since engines are bit more powerful in Sienna/Highlander, but still the point is still valid here that less weight gives us better mpgs.
Post 51... is that where you claimed that a more powerful engine got worse mileage because its car's heavier? More powerful engines have been less efficient since long before my time. Why do you keep proving my point?

Your point is well taken, but rendered moot, in this case, by regenerative braking.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Post 51... is that where you claimed that a more powerful engine got worse mileage because its car's heavier? More powerful engines have been less efficient since long before my time. Why do you keep proving my point?
Oh my that's highschool physics... As far as engines go they are both 2.5L engines and Highlander has just 24 more hp. That's hardly you can call "bigger". It needs more horses to pull all that extra weight 800 more pounds and even that "bigger" makes it slower and not as efficient as smaller R. If they would have put same engine as in R no one would have bought one.

Your point is well taken, but rendered moot, in this case, by regenerative braking.
Yeah you have lots of regenerative braking while cruising on the freeway. Also only hardcore efficient drivers get full benefit out of regen braking.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Perhaps taking Physics would help you understand how well you support my points.

I think everyone else understands that those 24 HP are not free, they come from burning fuel more rapidly, which most of us recognize as greater fuel consumption. I bet gearing is also disadvantaged... weight is only hurting because of all the things Toyota's doing to achieve similar drivability. Another point of agreement....

BTW, commuting on the highway dropped regen percentage to ~2%... Mass matters far less at constant high speed.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Everyone else understands that mass matters quite a bit for efficiency otherwise we would be all be driving EV trucks with 500 miles of range and not the tiny sedans.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[
  • General
    • ALWAYS USE EV COACH WHEN YOU ARE NEW TO THE VEHICLE!
    • There is no explicit SoC gauge or indicator. The outline of the blue EV bar in EV Coach is all that is available. "Full Charge" is roughly equivalent to the blue bar extending to the letter "C" in the ELECTRIC above. When you see this shrinking continuously at even low speeds, it means the HVB is nearly depleted.
I am relatively new to this site and to a hybrid. I love my Ford Escape. I am just asking a stupid question - there are 2 c's in ELECTRIC. Which C did you mean? My box gets as long as the T/R location.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,513 Posts
[QUOTE="cef212008, post: 1159012, member: I am just asking a stupid question - there are 2 c's in ELECTRIC. Which C did you mean? My box gets as long as the T/R location.
[/QUOTE]
Can you explain your question? Doesn’t make any sense. At least to me it doesn’t.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hybrid drivers understand. Turbos don't have this display.

When the ICE is off, the EV Coach displays an outline that tells the driver how much EV is available before ICE starts. The outline grows to the right as HVB charge rises from "discharged," and shrinks to the left as HVB charge is depleted.

The discussion about letters in the word ELECTRIC involve the length of this outline, as the word ELECTRIC is parallel to the outline box. It's the only reference for discussing the size of the outline, and thus HVB SOC.

In practice, it's only a useful gauge for low HVB charge. Once charge rises enough to provide 20Kw EV, the outline stops growing... at perhaps 50%?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm looking forward to getting my FEHP in about 4 weeks and testing everything to get Max Performance using my ScanGaugeII.

Paul

·
Registered
114 Posts
As someone who bought a C-Max grill cover from Paul, I'd like to point out that internal shutters can have substantial benefits which are nonetheless smaller than the benefits of a smooth front end with minimal air infiltration. Paul tested it, so his MPG improvement claim has data behind it. In the Northeast US, I never had a cooling issue, and I always had water temperature displayed in My View.

Take a close look at Paul's car... the grill block is just the start.
  • front grill blocks, upper and lower.
  • wheel disc covers
  • rear wheel fairing
  • (Paul, you still using vortex generators?)

For what it's worth, Saturday we got a 70F day, and I got to drive my old commuter route, round trip, for take-out Mexican. 56 going, 64 MPG coming back on the warm start. My C-Max ran in a similar range at that temperature, over that route, with increased tire pressures and grill blocks.. The Escape is 100% stock, save for 91E0; not even tire pressures (which are up a little with warmer weather... remember, these are P-metric, so max. is 41 psi.)

Stay well,
Frank
How far are those routes? And how fast? You can get that milage day and night? ThAts really good...

·
Registered
480 Posts
That was a year ago. Mileage is temperature and speed dependent. These data are for a 3-leg round trip, during Summer and Winter. I use trip duration to calculate actual speed, but report display mileage, which is 5% high.
Extrapolation to higher speeds seems valid

·
Registered
114 Posts
NORMAL mode coasting requires a little throttle. In ECO, it needs a lot more throttle
Wouldnt this be bad? Im understanding this as in eco mode you need to apply throttle while coasting to maintain speed. On flat ground wouldnt you want to coast as long as possible? I can see it aiding when coming to a complete stop, but overall i see more throttle=lower mpg. Pick up the hybrid on fri!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Wouldn't this be bad?... Pick up the hybrid on fri!
You'll understand once you drive the car.

Off-throttle rolling will show 5-30Kw of REGEN braking, depending on speed, mode (NORMAL/ECO/etc.) and use of the "hill assist" feature (menu enabled).

"Coasting" is defined as rolling without applied power or brakes. To coast, you'll need your foot on the gas to reduce REGEN braking to zero.

If you've ever driven a lawn tractor with hydrostatic drive, it's a little like that: your right foot controls both drive and braking.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So your trying to charge the battery with the most power in the quickest time? And eco does that because you need to give it more power, and since it's running ice anyway that energy is better used charging the battery quicker?

·
Registered
114 Posts
You'll understand once you drive the car.

Off-throttle rolling will show 5-30Kw of REGEN braking, depending on speed, mode (NORMAL/ECO/etc.) and use of the "hill assist" feature (menu enabled).

"Coasting" is defined as rolling without applied power or brakes. To coast, you'll need your foot on the gas to reduce REGEN braking to zero.

If you've ever driven a lawn tractor with hydrostatic drive, it's a little like that: your right foot controls both drive and braking.
So I ended up taking a test drive and the first thing I did was put it in eco mode. It wasn't till the way home I found eco coach and "chased blue". I was like wth are they talking about chasing blue hah. Then traffic behind me did not exist and i was determined to stay in ev mode!
I kept it in eco mode and I noticed how it did slow down soon as you got off the brake like a lawnmower. I'm not sure that's good for my style of driving. Maybe for a city like NYC. It wouldn't really coast you needed to keep some gas to coast so you ended up using some battery. I'll have to try it in normal mode. I'm looking for a nice slow down with no acceleration needed. I'm good at judging and maybe that's why I can get 35-40mpg in the 1.5 so easily around town. I want the hybrid but sometimes I wonder if I would be kicking myself and end up getting worst mpg. On the highway I can get 45mpg easily doing 50mph(speed limit 55). That's using the cars calculator so I'm assuming -5mpg real world.

It's usually just me and I don't tend to blast the ac so I wonder if the hybrid is taking a step back in MPG for me..you can't really beat it. 4500 off MSRP and I would just owe $500 for the trade in.

Oh, I believe I got 💯 brake scores every time except once!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here’s my observation. I am not an expert but I turn off dual climate zone mode to get better gas mileage. I think the dual climate mode is just needed to reduce the number of driver/ passenger arguments. The cabin is so small and one person chooses 80F while the other chooses 76F, the net result is about 78F. No need to run two zones rather use the electricity to drive the wheels.
Good observation. Anything that prevents the ICE from running will improve mileage. I try to park with climate off so the engine stays off when I start. Below 32F, climate state doesn't seem to matter, engine's on right away. We'll see if 0F brings ICE-only operation. (Li-ion batteries can't charge below 32F, or discharge below 0F.) Maybe next week?
Any other tips?

Also do I understand that the AC can be run by EV while the heat is only ICE? Wont be running much heat this winter!

·
Registered
480 Posts
So your trying to charge the battery with the most power in the quickest time? And eco does that because you need to give it more power...
NORMAL and ECO are the same in this regard. The mode differences are a throttle recalibration and a more-gentle cruise control. The throttle recalibration move the 0-point, but I can't tell any other difference. It's possible ECO charges harder, but I see no evidence of it.
I can get 35-40mpg in the 1.5 so easily around town. I want the hybrid but sometimes I wonder if I would be kicking myself and end up getting worst mpg. On the highway I can get 45mpg easily doing 50mph(speed limit 55).
I've attached my mileage summary above...

·
Registered
114 Posts
NORMAL and ECO are the same in this regard. The mode differences are a throttle recalibration and a more-gentle cruise control. The throttle recalibration move the 0-point, but I can't tell any other difference. It's possible ECO charges harder, but I see no evidence of it.

I've attached my mileage summary above...
And your summary is using the escapes mpg calculation?

61 - 80 of 80 Posts