2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
141 - 160 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
check out this video, It shows you how DIY. But why not try to get your dealer to do it for free under warranty. Also you need to do a BMS reset if you DIY and if you don't have the equipment that becomes a problem. Here is the link to the video.
As stated below video: "Also, I just found out that the battery management system needs to be updated by Ford service to allow proper charging of AGM battery instead of Lead Acid battery. They charged me a $75 service fee to change it."

An honest dealer or any technician with FORscan tool may do it for less.

·
Registered
58 Posts
As stated below video: "Also, I just found out that the battery management system needs to be updated by Ford service to allow proper charging of AGM battery instead of Lead Acid battery. They charged me a $75 service fee to change it."

An honest dealer or any technician with FORscan tool may do it for less.
Dealer reset the BMS for free on my 2020 titanium hybrid after I installed the upgraded battery

·
Registered
58 Posts
Al, can you tell us which battery you installed? Did you get the MotorCraft AGM? or something else? What part# please?
Check out my thread here:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am new to this forum and a recent purchaser of the 2021 Escape PHEV. Is there a separate forum for the PHEV's? Originally it was to be a2020, but with the Kuga's going up inflames, production was ceasedand my 2020 order turned into a new order for 2021 and delayed delivery til end of August.

I assume this car shares much in common with the 2020 hybrid, so information here may be relevant.

I upgraded from the 2013 Cmax Energi which had the same 12 volt battery issues discussed above.

My question is also on deep sleep. After using the FordPass App a few times while car is off invariably I get a notice car is in deep sleep and App will not update. This happens even when the car is plugged in and charging the HVB. Unlike others, I can open the doors with the fob, and can start the car with the start switch.

Is this an indication of the 12 v battery dropping voltage enough to not respond to FordPass, but still enough juice to start the car? The car has a little over 1,200 miles and 5 weeks in service. I picked it up twodays after delivered to the dealer, so definitely not sitting around.

I have the previously suggested auxilary plug digital voltmeter but my understanding is that the front socket does not stay powered for many minutes after the car is turned off. Does anyone know if the rear accessory socket stays on? If so, could possibly plug in there and read the voltage through the window when I get a deep sleep response on FordPass.

Trying to get a reading in the front when car turns on most likely will show the14 volt charging state which I assumed comes on as soon as you start the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car went into a deep sleep mode over the holiday. I had to get a jump start. I read the manuel and online info and it kept referring to manually starting the car, but didn't show how to do it, other than placing the fob in the tray, but with no power that didn't work. Is there another way to manually start a hybrid car?
Ours did this too on Dec 3. I had just driven to it 1 ½ days prior and had to get it jumped. Very weird. Took it to the Ford dealer and they found nothing wrong with the battery or alternator

·
Registered
178 Posts
The black plastic positive (+) cover is clearly marked, and easily pops open towards the front, as seen here beneath red positive charger clamp... Negative clamp can be hooked up to chassis bolt near strut tower:
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid battery died one day, just out of the blue. It had been driven, albeit not very long distances. When it died, I could not open the hood nor the back hatch; could not get it out of gear either. The dealer was perplexed and it took them two days to figure it out just to get it towed from my driveway. It has been fine since, but I am now getting the deep sleep message. The dealer keeps telling me that I don't drive it enough, or far enough to recharge the battery. Yes, during the pandemic I have only driven 5,000 miles a year. I think I have some ghost drainage, just can't figure out what.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
The dealer is correct but what he did not tell you is that you need a stronger AGM battery. Many here have Installed one in their 2020 Hybrids and there are numerous threads here regarding this if you do a search.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep.... I've gotten the message on the FordPass app "Your vehicle is in Deep Sleep mode...." and when I get in the vehicle this message is on the screen "System Off to Save Battery Please Turn ignition off or start engine." The vehicle has always started (not had a dead battery...yet). For those of you that've been to the dealer with this issue...what did the dealer do to resolve the issue?
My dealer said they found no problem and that this was normal. They checked the battery and said it was fine. Trying to convince me that I don't drive it enough or far enough.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
My dealer said they found no problem and that this was normal. They checked the battery and said it was fine. Trying to convince me that I don't drive it enough or far enough.
As many here have mentioned, the solution is to fit the larger AGM battery. Of course the Ford dealer will tell you the battery is fine etc. as they do not want to get involved but many are aware this is the solution. You will probably have to pay for the AGM battery and fitting and resetting of the BMS yourself through Ford or elsewhere. Suggest you do a search or scroll back on this thread here for what others have done and the AGM battery type to suit. In particular the link on post #144.

Reactions: Barblou and invader

·
Registered
178 Posts
My 2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid battery died one day, just out of the blue. It had been driven, albeit not very long distances... I have only driven 5,000 miles a year.
The least you need to do is charge your 12V battery regularly to maintain its charge level. It has likely been compromised by now from sulphation buildup upon its extended partly discharged condition, even though that particular dealer didn't offer you a warranty replacement.
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
what do you mean?
The temporary fix would be to attach a trickle charger to the battery when not driving to keep it fully charged. Many of these chargers have a recondition or desulphation mode to improve the battery condition as @invader was no doubt alluding to.
Eventually the battery will probably need to be replaced by the more efficient AGM model as suggested though

·
Registered
157 Posts
My 2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid battery died one day, just out of the blue. It had been driven, albeit not very long distances. When it died, I could not open the hood nor the back hatch; could not get it out of gear either. The dealer was perplexed and it took them two days to figure it out just to get it towed from my driveway. It has been fine since, but I am now getting the deep sleep message. The dealer keeps telling me that I don't drive it enough, or far enough to recharge the battery. Yes, during the pandemic I have only driven 5,000 miles a year. I think I have some ghost drainage, just can't figure out what.
Depending on when the car was built, there may be a fix involving the ABS module communicating with the instrument cluster and leaving it turned on, draining the battery. (Service Bulletin SSM 49574). SSM 49990 "No Crank/Discharged battery". Applies to build dates 6/9/2020-11/16/2020.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Titanium
178 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly does having a larger capacity 12v battery help with the Deep Sleep issue? If the vehicle can't adequately keep the smaller (2020 stock) battery charged sufficiently, how can it keep the larger capacity battery charged?

When I had my stock 2020 battery replaced under warranty, the Deep Sleep problem went away for about 3 months, and once it came back, it stayed back. So presumably my driving habits (almost all short & local) weren't sufficient to keep it charged. How will that change with a larger capacity battery?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly does having a larger capacity 12v battery help with the Deep Sleep issue? If the vehicle can't adequately keep the smaller (2020 stock) battery charged sufficiently, how can it keep the larger capacity battery charged?

When I had my stock 2020 battery replaced under warranty, the Deep Sleep problem went away for about 3 months, and once it came back, it stayed back. So presumably my driving habits (almost all short & local) weren't sufficient to keep it charged. How will that change with a larger capacity battery?
The upgrade is for a larger capacity H6/Gr48 battery of the AGM type, rather than flooded celll... AGM battery has a slower self discharge rate when not in use, and can recover from an 80% discharge level, rather than 50% for flooded cell. It charges faster, can readily provide more starting power, and is maintenance free as well as more resistant to vibration and general abuse..

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV
83 Posts
My Escape (8/27/21 build date) just went into deep sleep mode with the larger 12 volt AGM Ford battery Installed. The voltage at the battery terminals was 12.1 volts. The car was driven for 40 minutes two days ago and is always plugged into the level 2 charger in the garage whenever it’s not being driven. Nothing is plugged into the 12 volt power ports and no 12 volt accessories have been added.

the 12 volt battery is charged by power from the large 14.4 kW li-ion vehicle battery through a power converter. I can’t understand why the car programming isn’t se up to recharge the 12 volt battery when the vehicle is off. This is especially dumbfounding when the vehicle is connected to a 40 amp 240 volt charger and the li-ion battery is at full charge, yet the 12 volt battery is somehow draining down in a short time period to activate deep sleep mode.

My previous Chevy Volt had the feature of always maintaining the 12 volt battery charge when parked and plugged-in.

I paid for replacing the 12 volt battery in my 2021 Escape PHEV a few months ago with the larger Ford AGM battery by my Ford dealer to resolve the deep sleep mode issue. Deep sleep was occurring occasionally and one time, the battery went completely dead after a 40 minute drive two days prior. The vehicle electrical system and the small 12 volt battery was checked by the dealer after the 12 volt battery went dead and was all was found to be fine after charging the battery.

141 - 160 of 183 Posts