2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I replaced the 45AH lead acid battery with a 70AH Group 48 AGM battery. Besides topping up the AGM battery prior to install, it took about 20 minutes.
Here's a link to the thread that I made for it in the 4G DIY Garage section:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I replaced the 45AH lead acid battery with a 70AH Group 48 AGM battery. Besides topping up the AGM battery prior to install, it took about 20 minutes.
Thank you (y)

·
Registered
73 Posts
What happened to your thread? It's not in the 4G DIY Garage section or anywhere.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Interesting. Thank you for the information. Do you have any idea if there is a BMS that must be reset as in non-hybrid Escapes?
Update on this, the service person at the Ford dealership said that they do need to change the battery charging mode for an AGM battery. They are taking care of it while they also make some warranty repairs for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My car went into a deep sleep mode over the holiday. I had to get a jump start. I read the manuel and online info and it kept referring to manually starting the car, but didn't show how to do it, other than placing the fob in the tray, but with no power that didn't work. Is there another way to manually start a hybrid car?
I have a 2020 escape titanium hybrid and mine iv constantly notifying me that it has gone I to deep sleep mode. My vehicle still starts, but getting the notification constantly is worrisome. The only time it doesn’t do it is when the dealership recharges the battery then no message for about one week. Been at dealership multiple times and they don’t know why. Started with 3100 km on it now at 6500km and still have issue. I don’t feel safe driving out of the city with it

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2020 escape titanium hybrid and mine iv constantly notifying me that it has gone I to deep sleep mode. My vehicle still starts, but getting the notification constantly is worrisome. The only time it doesn’t do it is when the dealership recharges the battery then no message for about one week. Been at dealership multiple times and they don’t know why. Started with 3100 km on it now at 6500km and still have issue. I don’t feel safe driving out of the city with it
I know what you mean. Mine has been happening since I got it in Jan 2020. I've only got 11000 kms on it so don't use it massively but it's on its 3rd battery as far as I'm aware

·
Registered
22 Posts
Update on this, the service person at the Ford dealership said that they do need to change the battery charging mode for an AGM battery. They are taking care of it while they also make some warranty repairs for me.
I'd be interested to know what changing the charging mode means

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep.... I've gotten the message on the FordPass app "Your vehicle is in Deep Sleep mode...." and when I get in the vehicle this message is on the screen "System Off to Save Battery Please Turn ignition off or start engine." The vehicle has always started (not had a dead battery...yet). For those of you that've been to the dealer with this issue...what did the dealer do to resolve the issue?
The dealership here in Regina told me that they have never seen this happen and I get the exact same error message as you. I can’t believe they haven’t found the cause or solution yet. I am starting to regret this purchase ☹

·
Registered
46 Posts
The dealership here in Regina told me that they have never seen this happen and I get the exact same error message as you. I can’t believe they haven’t found the cause or solution yet. I am starting to regret this purchase ☹
I think that it uses a fair amount of energy just to keep the electrics on, while in stand-by mode. If the 12v battery goes lower than 9.5v it goes into deep sleep. Also if it has not been used in 14 days, or in extremely cold or hot temps (though what those temps are is not defined).
There is a Ford TSB about it, but I do not have any more detail:

·
Registered
525 Posts
...... I don’t feel safe driving out of the city with it
I have one of these:
I don’t hesitate to go anywhere with mine. The battery pack is small and fits in the glove box.

....... I am starting to regret this purchase ☹
Still just a minor annoyance for me. I’ve owned my FE 1 year.....never had a failure to start. Be prepared just in case.... get the battery pack and sleep well at night!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have one of these:
I don’t hesitate to go anywhere with mine. The battery pack is small and fits in the glove box.

Still just a minor annoyance for me. I’ve owned my FE 1 year.....never had a failure to start. Be prepared just in case.... get the battery pack and sleep well at night!
Did you get the battery pack from Ford? Mine goes back in the shop next week and if they sell them I will pick one up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think that it uses a fair amount of energy just to keep the electrics on, while in stand-by mode. If the 12v battery goes lower than 9.5v it goes into deep sleep. Also if it has not been used in 14 days, or in extremely cold or hot temps (though what those temps are is not defined).
There is a Ford TSB about it, but I do not have any more detail:
Thanks! My vehicle gets used every other day, and when not used is in an underground heated parking area. Drove 90km the other day in nice weather and as soon as I stopped and shut off vehicle the message came on. It was suggested that I get a battery pack booster just in case. Since my vehicle goes back in next week I will ask about this and if they have will purchase from Ford.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks! My vehicle gets used every other day, and when not used is in an underground heated parking area. Drove 90km the other day in nice weather and as soon as I stopped and shut off vehicle the message came on. It was suggested that I get a battery pack booster just in case. Since my vehicle goes back in next week I will ask about this and if they have will purchase from Ford.
Lead acid batteries degrade quickly if they are discharged greater than 50%. I think Ford is just being cheap by putting 45AH lead acid batteries in these vehicles. The stock battery is a $50 part. The AGM is a $200 part.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium
370 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've said it before... it's not the battery, it's the car. Mine doesn't do this, neither should anyone else's. Funny no one's recommending this simple diagnostic device. If what's been discussed is true, a voltmeter will tell you there's a problem before there's a failure.
Very well may be true. Still, AGM batteries fare much better than Lead Acid to being discharged below 50% and recovering, and they are more resistant to self discharge. And with a larger battery, it will last longer with whatever might be causing the discharge. In order to maintain the fancy electronics like always-on cell connection that enables FordPass, and sensor unlocking doors and such, the battery is being used. My guess is that the vehicles that are having issues sat unused for a long time before being sold, or in people's driveways, and the 12v lead acid batteries were damaged by sitting at too low a voltage for too long a time. Once that happens, the battery will have a diminished charge capacity.
I'll keep my thread about the battery swap updated with whatever I find, but as of now, the problem has not repeated itself.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Did you get the battery pack from Ford? Mine goes back in the shop next week and if they sell them I will pick one up.
No.... direct from Scosche but you can also get one from Amazon

81 - 100 of 109 Posts