2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've said it before... it's not the battery, it's the car. Mine doesn't do this, neither should anyone else's. Funny no one's recommending this simple diagnostic device. If what's been discussed is true, a voltmeter will tell you there's a problem before there's a failure.
I totally agree. This shouldn’t happen. It happen to me a few times and I told dealership to check OASIS for the SSM 49574.

(SSM 49574 - 2020 Escape With 2.5L HEV/PHEV - No Crank/Discharged Battery - Built On 09-Jun-2020 And Through 16-Nov-2020)

They said it’s “normal” and it goes into deep sleep if the battery drops below a certain level. Thanks captain obvious. BUT WHY IS THE BATTERY DROPPING BELOW A CERTAIN VOLTAGE??? I asked them to check the battery and hook it up to the computer. They said battery low and charged it and it held a charge. Hilarious!!! Of course it held a charge for the 5-6 hours you had it and after you topped it off with a charger. LOL!!!! As this SSM indicates and as we have all know, there is a key off battery drain. Seems weird with all that high tech equipment the dealership can’t figure that out or they can’t look it up. I have to bring in a printed document to support my claims. I am getting the yellow electric parking brake warning off and on. and I can hear the car making noises for 30-60 minutes after I turn it off and lock it. Sound comes from firewall near drivers side footwell area. I Drive 150 miles round trip daily for work, so I’m assuming the battery gets charged enough to prevent too much drop in voltage. If I don’t drive for 3-4 days, I’ll get the deep sleep message. I too purchased a portable jumpstarter that I threw in the glovebox to be safe. I still need to get it back to them to do the update needed. SSM info attached.

Eric B
2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've said it before... it's not the battery, it's the car. Mine doesn't do this, neither should anyone else's. Funny no one's recommending this simple diagnostic device. If what's been discussed is true, a voltmeter will tell you there's a problem before there's a failure.
It'll always show battery voltage as it's being depleted while drawing even more current to operate your beloved voltmeter... Battery's state of charge still needs to be maintained, which a voltmeter cannot accomplish.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
My vehicle finally got sorted out with the SSM mentioned above and a new body control module C (they alleged it had water intrusion)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I replaced the 45AH lead acid battery with a 70AH Group 48 AGM battery. Besides topping up the AGM battery prior to install, it took about 20 minutes.
Here's a link to the thread that I made for it in the 4G DIY Garage section:
Interestingly, another 2020 Escape Hybrid owner had already upgraded the 12V battery with an H6 (Group 48) AGM over 8 months ago.

I have a 2020 Escape Hybrid and have had a series of strange behaviors and seemingly random error messages. For example, error messages about the automatic parking not available while driving down the street. Sat Nav showing locations 400 miles off from where the car was, automatic liftgate would not open, backup camera working sometimes and not others, proximity detectors giving phantom warnings (ghosts?), as well as constant low voltage shutdown alarms reported through the Ford app. These became so frequent I began taking pictures of the screen when they occured so I could show them to the Ford dealer. The dealer replaced the backup camera twice and eventually the battery but the low voltage errors keep occuring. I think, I hope, I have isolated the problem to the undersized OEM battery. When the voltage gets low (9 volts was the lowest but 10 volts was common) the electronic modules start to get really wonky. The Ford tech claimed the OEM battery was a deep cycle AGM and it tested fine. The OEM battery is not an AGM, it is a really cheap flooded lead acid that cannot keep up with this car's large electrical loads. I replaced the battery with an high quality (according to Consumer Reports) AGM battery (size Group 48, or H6). It's been a week and no errors and everything is working fine, for now at least. You may want to check the battery voltage on your car. If it is below 11 volts your cheap OEM battery is toast. The Ford dealer will say its fine, but its not. If they do replace it they will put the same POS the car came with. My recommendation is to get a larger AGM battery that can service the electrical demands of the car.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,362 Posts
Interestingly, another 2020 Escape Hybrid owner had already upgraded the 12V battery with an H6 (Group 48) AGM over 8 months ago.
Confused on why this is interesting that another member has upgraded their battery 8 months ago? 😊

101 - 109 of 109 Posts