2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Everyone,

We're looking at trading our 2014 Escape for a 2020 Escape Hybrid AWD. We have to have AWD/4WD where we live. The one we're looking at is used, and has about 18,000 miles on it. It was purchased new in January 2020, and there are 2 recalls that have not been done, one for the rear camera, and one for the powertrain module. I can take it to the dealer and have that recall work done, but I would like to know if there are any other things I should be aware of, or watch out for with an Escape Hybrid. I really appreciate your input, thoughts and suggestions.

David

·
Registered
2020 SE Sport Hybid
19 Posts
Morning Everyone,

We're looking at trading our 2014 Escape for a 2020 Escape Hybrid AWD. We have to have AWD/4WD where we live. The one we're looking at is used, and has about 18,000 miles on it. It was purchased new in January 2020, and there are 2 recalls that have not been done, one for the rear camera, and one for the powertrain module. I can take it to the dealer and have that recall work done, but I would like to know if there are any other things I should be aware of, or watch out for with an Escape Hybrid. I really appreciate your input, thoughts and suggestions.

David
Other than the "used car" general concerns, I don't think so. I'm happy with mine in the NE--only 3000 miles but has been completely problem free and reliable.

·
Registered
525 Posts
...... but I would like to know if there are any other things I should be aware of, or watch out for with an Escape Hybrid. I really appreciate your input, thoughts and suggestions.

David
I’m coming up to 1 year in a couple of weeks with my FEH.....9,160 miles. Scheduled the first service for Wednesday (oil change and tire rotation) “Change Engine Oil Soon” alert indicated at 9,140 miles....43.8 MPG overall (actual....did the math total miles/total gallons purchased).

The only recall on mine was the backup camera and it’s been replaced.

Overall extremely pleased with my FEH!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Morning Everyone,

David
i happily recommend the 2020 Escape SE Sport Hybrid; bought mine 12/2019; have just about 6,400 miles on it.
Coincidentally, I just had the rear backup camera recall work performed today. Note: The camera always worked fine.

Low milage, because of pandemic; haven’t gone out much.
But, we have done a few long day trips. No problems to report. My wife and I love the car.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
818 Posts
You're under factory warranty, so I wouldn't worry about it.
It will be a bit different than your 2014 if you had the ecoBoost instead of the 2.5L but in general you'll be happy with it.
My wife moved from a 2014 with the 2.0L EB to her hybrid and loves it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're under factory warranty, so I wouldn't worry about it.
It will be a bit different than your 2014 if you had the ecoBoost instead of the 2.5L but in general you'll be happy with it.
My wife moved from a 2014 with the 2.0L EB to her hybrid and loves it.
Yes, our 2014 is the eco boost. What's the biggest difference you have noticed? Just less power?

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
818 Posts
2.0L EB off the line in regular drive is faster, you can put the Hybrid in Sport mode and its close.
Bigger thing is that the 2020 is way quieter and has laminated glass on the front doors to cut down noise (they ditched that in the 2021+).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Early ones had battery drain issues including ours that was built in March 2020 and they only happen in the cold it seems. If you’re getting yours from a Ford dealer have them pull the service records and show you everything that it’s been in the shop for.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium AWD
9 Posts
I traded my 2015 2.0L Titanium in for the 2020 Hybrid. The acceleration is not as jumpy off the line but the hybrid is definitely no slouch. If you step on it, it scoots plenty well enough for congested traffic driving and acceleration to freeway speeds. Sport mode is very zippy! The biggest thing I think you will like is the eCVT transmission versus the 6 speed. That 6 speed was not great in my opinion. The CVT is so smooth, you'll love it. I always felt dissatisfied with the shift points on the Ecoboost. I had a 2005 Hybrid before that and it ruined me for ever wanting a regular transmission again. The CVT is far superior to any typical transmission in smoothness, drivability and longevity.

No problems so far with ours but only a little over 3400mi on it yet. We had a weird issue with the battery going dead after sitting for 6 days but it hasn't happened again after having the dealer check it out without finding anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a one-year old 2020 Hybrid Escape (Titanium) and am pleased with the performance and most features.
There are 2 things I would advise you to be aware of.

1) I was surprised to discover that any 2020 Escape with the full-size sunroof CANNOT have a roof-rack attached, even though the built-in rails are part of the package. The dealer will not sell you the standard rack, and I received an Email from Ford indicating that installing one myself would "void the warranty". A design defect causes the roof-glass to shatter and the mechanism to be damaged upon installation.

2) Check this post, excellent documentation and community support !!
Ford has confirmed problem in a bulletin, and there is still no resolution from Ford even though the bulletin says one should be issued in January. Ford says it is not a safety problem, but every time I start the vehicle, it sounds like a bag-full of marbles is thrashing around inside the engine compartment for about 3-10 minutes.
I may be old-school, but that can't be good for longevity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I traded my 2015 2.0L Titanium in for the 2020 Hybrid. The acceleration is not as jumpy off the line but the hybrid is definitely no slouch. If you step on it, it scoots plenty well enough for congested traffic driving and acceleration to freeway speeds. Sport mode is very zippy! The biggest thing I think you will like is the eCVT transmission versus the 6 speed. That 6 speed was not great in my opinion. The CVT is so smooth, you'll love it. I always felt dissatisfied with the shift points on the Ecoboost. I had a 2005 Hybrid before that and it ruined me for ever wanting a regular transmission again. The CVT is far superior to any typical transmission in smoothness, drivability and longevity.

No problems so far with ours but only a little over 3400mi on it yet. We had a weird issue with the battery going dead after sitting for 6 days but it hasn't happened again after having the dealer check it out without finding anything.
Thanks!! I have personally had two Prius over the last 14uears, abd yes, I like the CVT, and I'm aware of how cold weather can affect battery drain, but I this car is for my wife, as she loves her escape and really wants a hybrid too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a one-year old 2020 Hybrid Escape (Titanium) and am pleased with the performance and most features.
There are 2 things I would advise you to be aware of.

1) I was surprised to discover that any 2020 Escape with the full-size sunroof CANNOT have a roof-rack attached, even though the built-in rails are part of the package. The dealer will not sell you the standard rack, and I received an Email from Ford indicating that installing one myself would "void the warranty". A design defect causes the roof-glass to shatter and the mechanism to be damaged upon installation.

2) Check this post, excellent documentation and community support !!
Ford has confirmed problem in a bulletin, and there is still no resolution from Ford even though the bulletin says one should be issued in January. Ford says it is not a safety problem, but every time I start the vehicle, it sounds like a bag-full of marbles is thrashing around inside the engine compartment for about 3-10 minutes.
I may be old-school, but that can't be good for longevity.
Of the Escape Hybrids we have loosed at, there seem to be two recalls on most of them. One for the backup camera and one for the power control module. Has anyone else had this recall work done??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to update this thread, we love our Escape Hybrid. Took it in for the power Control module recall fix and that was done. They had to order the backup camera for that recall and that will be done today. So far we both just love it!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts