2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
570 Posts
Just a reminder the 12v battery is actually the booting battery for the vehicle electronics.
It gets charged directly from the alternator, not the HVB and a 12v battery problem can be spotted real easily if you turn off the car and then turn on the radio (it should play for ~20 minutes).
Old school item to check is the electrolyte level in the battery, pop the caps and if it isn't touching the bottom of the black plastic at the top of the cell add distilled water or cheap bottled water. After that drive it for 20-30 miles on the highway to get a good charge in it since regenerative braking doesn't charge this battery and the alternator doesn't turn in EV mode.

A lot of batteries sat in cars and warehouses due to CoVid and the electrolyte does evaporate.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Your dealer is correct in saying the stop/start feature ...
I don't believe any of this applies to a 2020 Escape Hybrid. Post 15 is accurate.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It is a Ford after all, and not a Japanese engineered Toyota RAV4...
You probably missed my post about Rav4 2020 having widespread issue with this as well. As a matter of fact Escape has had less issues then Rav4 overall.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You probably missed my post about Rav4 2020 having widespread issue with this as well. As a matter of fact Escape has had less issues then Rav4 overall.
You mean 12V battery problems with hybrids? Oh well... It has since been rectified for 2021 RAV4 Hybrid, along with an ECU recalibration for previous models as per T-S-0095-20.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You mean 12V battery problems with hybrids?
Yes. Not sure I can post links to Rav4 forum but if you search you can find most popular forum that discussed that issue to death there.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I don't believe any of this applies to a 2020 Escape Hybrid. Post 15 is accurate.
If you check my post #20 you will find that it was in answer to a different post by @LoonLove involving a 2019 Titanium petrol model which has now correctly been moved to the 3G forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased a 2020 Titanium Hybrid Escape and around 2000 miles I parked it for 8 days while I was on a trip. The battery was DOA. Jumped it and all seems ok and have an appointment on Monday to do some battery tests.

Another strange message came up while driving away form a parking spot. "Vehicle not in Park" or something similar came up twice. At a red light I shifted to PARK and back to DRIVE and haven't seen the message since.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Another strange message came up while driving away form a parking spot. "Vehicle not in Park" or something similar came up twice. At a red light I shifted to PARK and back to DRIVE and haven't seen the message since.
You may have got this message because your battery was not fully charged yet and the message disappeared as you charged it with further driving.
All sorts of technology 'glitches' can occur if the battery is not fully charged..;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently purchased a 2020 Titanium Hybrid Escape and around 2000 miles I parked it for 8 days while I was on a trip. The battery was DOA. Jumped it and all seems ok and have an appointment on Monday to do some battery tests.

While perhaps not as practical, it is much better to maintain the 12V battery by regularly keeping it charged up with an automatic battery charger via the battery jumper posts, rather than jumping/boosting it once it's DOA... Lead acid batteries deteriorate quickly from sulfation buildup when discharged. Battery may also be damaged from freezing whenever its state of charge has depleted.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts