2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Ford Escape - Titanium. I currently have my Thinkware U1000 (front and rear camera) system hardwired with a BlackVue B-124X battery. The cameras receive power without issue while parked. However, the vehicle's modem powers off, which prevents me from viewing the vehicle's camera system while parked. I am not sure, but I think the modem is embedded with the Telematics Control Unit Module. The service provider is AT&T. I know the fuse for the module is #11 (5amp) under the glove box, but this fuse is also used for the power liftgate and hands-free liftgate actuation module. I am wondering if I should hardwire to this fuse (probably with a battery expansion) to power the modem as well as the camera.

·
Registered
2020 Escape
48 Posts
I wouldn’t. It gets shutdown to save battery. It appears these vehicles can be battery voltage sensitive.

I know the ford pass app can do a manual update of the systems it monitors. Have you tried doing a manual update of the app to see if it activates the modem power?

Also, do you know where how power down being called. The module may be terminating power after the fuse.

Also, just for my edification, have you subscribed to the att service? And if so, is the cost 20.00 a month? Or are there other fees involved?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I researched dashcams, one of the concerns commonly cited in the literature was the potential for battery discharge. When the vehicle detected a specific low voltage threshold, it would suspend power to the camera. However, to avoid this, I hardwired the dashcam to a switched fuse so the camera would draw power from the vehicle's battery when the ignition was on. When the ignition is off, the camera draws power from the BlackVue B-124X battery. I am curious if I can somehow power the vehicle's modem with my camera by battery when the ignition is off. I can expand my BlackVue battery capacity by creating a battery bank if need be.

I have no idea how the power down is being called. :(

How do I do a manual update of the system monitor via the application? I can remotely access my vehicle data from the application, but this does not seem to power up the modem for my camera to connect to the Hotspot. I am curious how Ford Pass can remote access the vehicle via modem when the vehicle is off. Maybe it disables Hotspot?

I did subscribe to the AT&T service. It is a flat $20.00. No other fees. It has the 22GB data plan that they call "unlimited."

Thanks for your feedback! I appreciate it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts