2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I purchased a 2020 Ford Escape SE (no sunroof) earlier this year and we purchased the car without roof rails. We were able to get a good deal on an SE without the rails and figured that we would be able to get roof rails through Ford Parts after we made the purchase.

However, after talking with our local Ford dealership parts department (and checking the parts catalog online) it doesn't seem that Ford is even offering the rail assembly itself - they have the cross bars available for purchase, but not the rails itself.

Has anyone had any luck with finding the rails itself in the aftermarket or maybe your dealership was able to find the part number for the rails itself?

Note: We have thought about using an aftermarket setup that doesn't require roof rails but would prefer using the rails itself, if possible.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid
15 Posts
The black plastic strips/gutters at the edges of the roof are the crossbar attachment points. I have not seen an escape equipped without those rails. There is no gap under them. They are shaped in a way to allow clipping a crossbar in place. The Ford crossbars are about $280 IIRC. I believe there are already some alternatives available from Yakima, not sure about Thule.

I know somebody on here mentioned they had a Yakima rack in the thread on roof racks on Sunroof cars, maybe they can chime in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@ShaggySG I was under the impression that the gutters aren't able to act as attachment points for the crossbar, that you also needed a rail as an attachment.

For example, my Escape is like the one pictured below without the rails itself (online pic, not my car):

When I do a quick search at Ford 'accessories', I only see a 2-piece cross bar set that attachs to rails that are installed in place of the gutters (https://accessories.ford.com/catalog/product/view/id/12439/s/kit-luggage-crossbars/category/3124/) - so I'm under the impression that I need to not only get the cross bar set, but also the rails that the cross bars attach to.

Instead are you saying that these crossbars can just attach onto that "gutter" piece instead of a rail?

·
Registered
121 Posts
The black plastic strips/gutters at the edges of the roof are the crossbar attachment points. I have not seen an escape equipped without those rails. There is no gap under them. They are shaped in a way to allow clipping a crossbar in place. The Ford crossbars are about $280 IIRC. I believe there are already some alternatives available from Yakima, not sure about Thule.

I know somebody on here mentioned they had a Yakima rack in the thread on roof racks on Sunroof cars, maybe they can chime in.
A neighbor has a 2020 SE, and it does not have roof rails, just black plastic strips that are flush with the roof line.

·
Registered
132 Posts
black plastic strips that are flush with the roof line.
Mine are anything but flush. The "rails" are peanut cross-section; the "crossbars" rest on the top, and clamps fit into the narrowed portion, capturing the top half of the "rail.".

It's also an effective replacement for drip rails; they give you something to grab getting out of the car.

Stay well,
Frank

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid
15 Posts
I stand corrected, there are flush gutters on the S, SE, and SE Sport Hybrid without the premium package, and SE Plug-in Hybrid.

The raised gutters/ rail attachment points are standard on the SEL, SEL plug-in, Titanium, and Titanium plug-in. Also added to any version built with the sunroof even though you "aren't" supposed to put crossbars on a sunroof car.

Granted, Ford build & price isn't the best place to do this research, but I didn't even realize they would bother making 2 different options for gutters. A good related question is why does the premium package SE Hybrid, which comes with the sunroof, have the roof rails yet the standard SE Hybrid without the sunroof has flush rails. There is not a package for the SE, but adding the sunroof shows the rails added in the render.

My dealer has not had anything lower than an SEL in stock that is equipped without a sunroof. I am now thoroughly confused...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine are anything but flush. The "rails" are peanut cross-section; the "crossbars" rest on the top, and clamps fit into the narrowed portion, capturing the top half of the "rail.".

It's also an effective replacement for drip rails; they give you something to grab getting out of the car.

Stay well,
Frank
My Titanium is the same as yours. My neighbor's SE is like I described, flush with the roof line. Some trim levels get the rails, some do not.

·
Registered
'19 Escape Titanium 2.0L EcoBoost
19 Posts
Lately I have been looking into all of the exterior trim pieces.
Mostly between the '17, '18, & '19, however, additionally the 2020 as well and all the parts seem to fit all of these years.
Are you sure the rails from a 2019 won't fit?
When ever I reach an impasse, I usually try it anyway.
Why not get a set for a 2019 and if they don't fit, sell or return them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I stand corrected, there are flush gutters on the S, SE, and SE Sport Hybrid without the premium package, and SE Plug-in Hybrid.
Me, too, but only on some of them. Per the order guides....

S, SE PHEV - cross rails not available; no side rail listed
SE - cross rails not available. Side rails only with sunroof
SE Sport - cross rails not available. Side rails only with sunroof package
SEL, SEL PHEV - cross rails optional. Not compatible with sunroof.
Titanium, Titanium PHEV - cross rails optional. Not compatible with sunroof.

Odd pattern that makes no sense:
  • sunroof always has side rails
  • sunroof not compatible with cross rails.
  • to get a roof rack, buy top-level options package with a popular option removed.
Stay well,
Frank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts