2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
I am considering trading in my 2020 for a hybrid. It looks like I can do it for about $3500, and it will be AWD/leather/sun roof and nav system. Im just wondering if I would end up getting that money back.

So im just wondering if you have a hybrid what is the MPG you are reading right, not really your best or worst. I mostly drive around town which is no more then 40mpg, some highway but speed limit is 55 and i usually set it at 50. Right now im showing 33mpg with the 1.5. im wondering if with a hybrid i can get 45-50?
If you are putting average number of miles it will be roughly a decade to break even that $3500 difference. So you are not getting that money back any time soon but at very least you will enjoy all the extra luxury. If I were you I would drive what you have for a few years and jump on EVs. They are taking over quicker then you might think and all these ICE including hybrids will be old news pretty quickly.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you are putting average number of miles it will be roughly a decade to break even that $3500 difference. So you are not getting that money back any time soon but at very least you will enjoy all the extra luxury. If I were you I would drive what you have for a few years and jump on EVs. They are taking over quicker then you might think and all these ICE including hybrids will be old news pretty quickly.
I dunno. Some guys are posting 50mpg for short trips? That is most of my daily commute. Except some highway but most of it is not over 50-55. I've had the car 6months and did 8700 miles. Do the ice batteries last 10years/150k miles? That's when things tend to brake on me and it's time for a new car. Im also thinking gas is going to go up, maybe $4 in the next year.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I dunno. Some guys are posting 50mpg for short trips? That is most of my daily commute. Except some highway but most of it is not over 50-55. I've had the car 6months and did 8700 miles. Do the ice batteries last 10years/150k miles? That's when things tend to brake on me and it's time for a new car. Im also thinking gas is going to go up, maybe $4 in the next year.
You can do simple math to determine if it makes financial sense to spend $3500 for sake of few extra mpgs. My guesstimate for you based on the numbers you provided I would say you are looking at around 7 year break even even if gas $4, but plug your own numbers.

IMO if you are easily swayed by newer efficient car tech then in 5 years it would be difficult to keep your hybrid when market gets saturated with affordable EV choices.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I appreciate that, how did you make that Excel? I am not good with that.

I have an offer for two states over after rebates it's a 2k difference for AWD and Hybrid. But it has 6k miles as it was a loaner. I'm thinking 2k off is fair with those miles but the market might not allow it and they might not budge so let's see what they say. Is it a good idea getting a courtesy demo?

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium
480 Posts
I am considering trading in my 2020 for a hybrid... for about $3500... Im just wondering if I would end up getting that money back. ...
... im wondering if with a hybrid i can get 45-50?
Looking at Fuelly, there's a 9.5 mpg difference. Make-back time depends on how much you drive and fuel cost.
  • 2020 1.5L I3 averaged 28.3 mpg
  • 2020 2.5L I4 Hybrid averaged 37.8 mpg.

FWIW, I'm paying $0.07/mile for gas. That's the same as 50 MPG using $3.50/gal fuel.
(I am paying an average of $3.38/gal. since Jan. 1)

If your true, life mileage is 33 mpg, @null predictions should be close. However, 33 mpg puts you in the top 10% of 1.5L I3 Escape drivers. At the average, it's a 4 year payback, but only if you get my $0.07/mile. 45 mpg at 50 mph is possible on warm clear days... but the population average is a lot lower. Driving style matters.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Okay so I just drove 14 miles in my 1.5 and the car averaged 39.3 mpg. nothing over 43mph. That is most of my runs around town. How much more efficient is the hybrid? Because I found a base for 31k and I think it has 4k rebates plus my 1250 private offer. I think I could do it for less then 1k and the color scheme is awesome, red ext and tan int.

·
Premium Member
Persian Green 2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium
38 Posts
I'm in Indianapolis, it's flat as a pancake, cold in the winter and you take a good chance of getting killed if you run 70 mph on the interstate. After 7,000 miles my average is 38.9.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm in Indianapolis, it's flat as a pancake, cold in the winter and you take a good chance of getting killed if you run 70 mph on the interstate. After 7,000 miles my average is 38.9.
How often are you going 60+ and do you have a heavy foot? I dont get why im getting such good mpg in my gas...

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape SE Sport Hybrid
17 Posts
In and around town, I get 38-39, and I don't drive it hard. I use eco mode all the time and try to drive all electric as much as possible. I have almost 2,000 miles now so I think is is about as good as it will get. On short trips, I can get some crazy number like 50 to 60 mpg. I am no expert at hypermiling, so others can probably do better.

·
Registered
112 Posts
In and around town, I get 38-39, and I don't drive it hard. I use eco mode all the time and try to drive all electric as much as possible. I have almost 2,000 miles now so I think is is about as good as it will get. On short trips, I can get some crazy number like 50 to 60 mpg. I am no expert at hypermiling, so others can probably do better.
Have you tried that ev on mode? how far will it go on all battery?

·
Registered
480 Posts
That's a plug-in feature. In the Hybrid, you control EV mode with your right foot and EV Coach. Learn to "chase blue" and you'll be in the mid-40's. Drive like a conventional car (a la C&D and CR) and you're mileage will be in mid-30's. Your call.

·
Premium Member
Persian Green 2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium
38 Posts
I don't have a lead foot, if you're going 73 mph on the interstate you are the slowest vehicle on the road.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's a plug-in feature. In the Hybrid, you control EV mode with your right foot and EV Coach. Learn to "chase blue" and you'll be in the mid-40's. Drive like a conventional car (a la C&D and CR) and you're mileage will be in mid-30's. Your call.
Okay. At what speed does it not matter any more and ice kicks on?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Huh? I'm not understanding you.
I believe anything over 65-70 turns on the ICE full time (I think it is a transmission protection function or something I recall).

Going 70+ for sure will have the ICE on all the time, even if in a scenario where you are going downhill or in an area where the electric motor could power the vehicle.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I believe anything over 65-70 turns on the ICE full time (I think it is a transmission protection function or something I recall).

Going 70+ for sure will have the ICE on all the time, even if in a scenario where you are going downhill or in an area where the electric motor could power the vehicle.
The FEH should be able to EV up to 85 mph if the HVB is charged enough and I believe the ICE comes on for the first time when you go over 35 mph to lube the trans.

Paul

·
Registered
480 Posts
That was my recollection, too, Paul, but I thought it might be a C-Max memory. I should have RTFM sooner.
"Why does my engine never shut down above 85 mph (137 km/h)?
The engine is required to turn on above this speed to protect the transmission hardware.
"

·
Registered
112 Posts
The FEH should be able to EV up to 85 mph if the HVB is charged enough and I believe the ICE comes on for the first time when you go over 35 mph to lube the trans.

Paul
got it. so you cant really keep it on ev at city speeds, the ice needs to start at some point.

Has anyone tried their best to see how far they can travel just with ev?

81 - 100 of 117 Posts