2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid
23 Posts
got it. so you cant really keep it on ev at city speeds, the ice needs to start at some point.

Has anyone tried their best to see how far they can travel just with ev?
The battery is charged by regenerative braking. It automatically switches to electric when ICE isn't needed. Sometimes it's only momentarily, sometimes you can "finesse" hyper mileage, but it's not like you can say "I'm going to only use electric today". It's constantly switching back and forth, seamlessly.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium
480 Posts
The battery is charged by regenerative braking....
As well as the second motor that TRW called "charger." Charging while accelerating is one of the big improvements over C-Max. It seems to refill the HVB faster, especially ICE short runs.

"'...only use electric today'" is a plug-in only option. Per the manual, it gets EV Now, EV Later and EV Charge modes with a default of Auto EV, a hybrid-like mode.

To the question about "city" driving, if you start off gently, it's not hard to EV up to 15-20 mph. Then use the ICE up to cruising speed. Once at speed, use ICE uphill and to speed up. Use EV downhill with a little speed loss. When you're up to the 70% EV Paul mentioned, your mileage will be in the mid-60's.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE I3 & 2020 Titanium Hybrid
157 Posts
Okay, so I've owned a hybrid for about 1 month now, I've noticed that while I can do a takeoff from stop on battery, to keep in the EV window I have to accelerate very slowly. While it doesn't bother me to accelerate so slowly, it certainly bothers other drivers, even in the slow lane. I'm wondering if I can accomplish similar mileage by accelerating on gas and going into EV once I'm up to speed, switch to ev, in theory I can maintain speed on EV for longer since I didn't use much battery for the takeoff?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Okay, so I've owned a hybrid for about 1 month now, I've noticed that while I can do a takeoff from stop on battery, to keep in the EV window I have to accelerate very slowly. While it doesn't bother me to accelerate so slowly, it certainly bothers other drivers, even in the slow lane. I'm wondering if I can accomplish similar mileage by accelerating on gas and going into EV once I'm up to speed, switch to ev, in theory I can maintain speed on EV for longer since I didn't use much battery for the takeoff?

Any thoughts?
What's your current mpg?

·
Registered
157 Posts
37.5 80% in-town

5 mile drive to and from work each day + any errands.

·
Registered
480 Posts
...I can do a takeoff from stop on battery, to keep in the EV window I have to accelerate very slowly.
Keep adding throttle. You're already gentle enough to EV from a stop. I start there and add throttle as I speed up. It usually turns on ICE around 20Kw EV, maybe 15-20 mph, and I continue adding throttle to 25-50kW depending on terrain, traffic and local speed limit.

Every bit of EV energy comes from running the ICE, either by direct charging or energy recovery. The best results come by running the ICE efficiently, high load, low RPM, although the performance maps are widening.
(charts show contours of efficiency in terms of RPM and torque with 34% contours filled in green)
SAE Excerpt ICE BTE 2006-now.jpg

IMHO, our engines are real close to the 2016 prototype. It's a bigger car but mileage is equal or better than C-Max!

·
Registered
480 Posts
However, 5 mile trips are a killer. I went from a 15 mile commute, rain or shine, to 5 mile trips after I retired. Can you tell when I retired? No more 50+ MPG tanks with the shorter trips.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape SE Sport Hybrid
17 Posts
Well, after my first oil change, I am now getting between 44-45 around town, where was getting 37-38 before. Not sure why. Is it the full synthetic oil, the temps are now higher - in the 90's, or just that I am getting more used to driving it? I had a C-Max for about 5 years, so I am pretty familiar with driving a hybrid. At any rate, I am pretty happy with the mileage now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, after my first oil change, I am now getting between 44-45 around town, where was getting 37-38 before. Not sure why. Is it the full synthetic oil, the temps are now higher - in the 90's, or just that I am getting more used to driving it? I had a C-Max for about 5 years, so I am pretty familiar with driving a hybrid. At any rate, I am pretty happy with the mileage now.
Thats using the trip estimator or your own calculations?

·
Registered
2020 SE Sport Hybid
22 Posts
Temperature. I get ~5-10 mpg better mileage in warm weather than in the winter for a local drive to work ~15miles; 30-50mph.

·
Registered
2020 SE Sport Hybid
22 Posts
Temperature. I get ~5-10 mpg better mileage in warm weather than in the winter for a local drive to work ~15miles; 30-50mph.
Oh, yeah. covered it earlier in this thread

·
Registered
112 Posts

Just picked it up and this is the ride home! Lot of 65 mph driving. Pretty good for my first drive? Is it going to get better as it brakes in? Outside temp was 67.
I'm hoping for a steady 20mpg over my old 1.5. I'm thinking I can do maybe 30mpg though. So far I hit my 20mpg over goal though..

·
Registered
157 Posts
That's the Mid-series cluster.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts