2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am creating this to hopefully help / show what to look out for. Seems like these are common issues.

Camera malfunctions nearly half the time.
Drivers side speakers stopped working on the commute to work but came back when I left work. I doubt they will do anything because I haven't been able to reproduce the issue.
A frame molding on both sides aren't installed properly.
Drive mode button does not work.

For some reason opening and closing the tailgate changes my drive mode, I have videos and pictures of all these shenanigans.

I have an appointment this upcoming monday to bring it in.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Hello, I am creating this to hopefully help / show what to look out for. Seems like these are common issues.

Camera malfunctions nearly half the time.
Drivers side speakers stopped working on the commute to work but came back when I left work. I doubt they will do anything because I haven't been able to reproduce the issue.
A frame molding on both sides aren't installed properly.
Drive mode button does not work.

For some reason opening and closing the tailgate changes my drive mode, I have videos and pictures of all these shenanigans.

I have an appointment this upcoming monday to bring it in.
First two items are known problems appearing on some Escapes. They are pretty well documented here. A simple search should find them. Likely you will not have a problem with the dealer/Ford on those.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am aware of how to search for posts. As mentioned, the purpose of this post is to help diagnose issues for people in the future. If it's a new car and you're having problems....take it in. Just makes me sad this is my first ford experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
- This also happened to me. I have an SE Sport Hybrid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Techs were able to reproduce the tailgate / drive mode shenanigans after I showed them the video. It would change to eco mode most of the time but it was put into sport mode once when pulling out of my spot at work. They gave me a 2020 escape but with the 1.5 (boo) as a rental so I can see the DM menu structure which gives me an idea of how many times the button is pressed. Seems like its random :-(

They are keeping it in the shop another day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still in the shop, they are unable to figure out why the drive mode button doesn't work. This is my luck :-(

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium - The Dark Knight
85 Posts
To the OP

Just an observation, based on your posts, it appears that the button thinks it's getting pressed.

That means its one of only a few things:

Hardware (could even be the drive mode button itself, with a sticky/wonky contact)
Software glitch (and those are maddening, having issues right now getting the HUD in my 2020 Escape to stay at the brightness I set outdoors)

NefCanuck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup that is exactly what I was thinking. I think there is a short somewhere. I wonder if it is related to my speakers going out.

I called them yesterday and they said they have a wiring diagram but its for the old model, they don't have the new one so "hopefully we will have it tomorrow" they say.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium - The Dark Knight
85 Posts
Yup that is exactly what I was thinking. I think there is a short somewhere. I wonder if it is related to my speakers going out.

I called them yesterday and they said they have a wiring diagram but its for the old model, they don't have the new one so "hopefully we will have it tomorrow" they say.
You'd think that a car that's been out as long as the 2020 Ford Escape would have had the wiring diagrams sent to their dealers by now (even an electronic version via PDF)

NefCanuck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got my car back last week I just haven't had a chance to put up a resolution.

So apparently there was a bad connector somewhere. There was a pin that was bent which was causing bumps etc to have my car switch drive modes. This was also why the button wasn't working.

I don't know exactly where the pin was, but it was something with the harness. I have the work orders if needed. The speakers haven't gone out since then so I wonder if it was all related. I have a feeling it may have caused a short.

They replaced the camera, fixed the drive mode issues, but they weren't able to fix the molding. Those parts are on back order until next month.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Tailgate isn’t working still after 3 trips in. They are replacing the unit. Milleage changes from km to miles while driving?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Tailgate isn’t working still after 3 trips in. They are replacing the unit. Milleage changes from km to miles while driving?
Mine didn't do anything like that. I was able to duplicate changing drive mode by getting out of my car and opening the tailagate. I wiped the wires that go into the tailgate with my hand, just enough to move them. After I closed the gate I ran back to my drivers seat and right when it would lock into place the drive mode would change.

All they told me is that there was a bent connector somewhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts