2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just joined, purchased a 2020 Black SE Sport Hybrid AWD with the upgraded wheels and interior in early March. Overall loving the vehicle but recently started to experience a loud noise coming from under the hood when the AC is on.

When the Escape is started but the ICE is not on and we turn the AC on it starts making a whiny noise, it will stop if we turn the AC off and start again when turning it back on. The noise gets louder and louder as you turn the fan speed up, a little louder at each speed. The outside temperature does not seem to matter. It is loud and I maybe could think this is a normal noise if it did this from the beginning of owning the vehicle but we didn't notice it until last week and there have been plenty of occasions that we would have noticed.

The noise does reduce or potentially go away when the ICE starts or if you drive for a bit and park and have it switch back to EV sometimes it's noticeable and sometimes it's not.

Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone know enough about the hybrid cabin cooling system to know why this might be normal?

I did take it to the dealership and they came back and indicated that it was normal operation, but I still feel that it isn't or atleast hope not as we really like pretty much everything else about it do far.

Also I can probably post a video link if people are interested in hearing the noise.

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
783 Posts
I remember something about noisy AC in early C-Max that was more annoyance than anything to worry about. The Hybrids both have electric AC that runs from the HVB. For comparison, do you notice the low-speed DOT noisemake?

... The noise gets louder and louder as you turn the fan speed up, a little louder at each speed ...
This sounds like debris in the fan blades or the AC air path... which usually goes away. Let's hope it's soon gone.

Stay well,
Frank

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do notice the low speed DOT noise as well, that sounds normal and intentional to me.

The AC noise started, or atleast, I noticed it when I picked it up after being detailed at a professional detailer and left over night. When I picked it up the detailer had left some type of plastic sheet over it to protect from dust. I wonder if somehow some piece of plastic got sucked into or stuck? I have looked and did not see anything, but don't really know where to look either. Also I would think the dealership would have checked for that but who knows.

Hopefully it does go away as it is annoying.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, I had a look at the cabin filter and it did not smell of soap or have any discoloration. Also I tried the ac while changing the filter and the noise is not coming from that area.

I went ahead a grabbed a few videos, take a listen, does this sound normal? Hopefully some other hybrid owners can verify if they get the same noise or not.

1 of 3, startup and low ac fan speeds

2 of 3, higher ac fan speeds

3 of 3, ICE has turned on and high AC fan speed

·
Registered
2020 Escape
202 Posts
It sounds like you got something in the blower fan. We have a couple of ford transits that’s are parked near some oak trees. The squirrels like to take the acorns and eat them, and nest, on the top of the motors. The shells drop into the air intake for the blower and when your run the fan at anything higher then low speed, it sounds just like that.

because of it being cover, or just because it was convenient access, it’s very possible a critter decided your car was a good place crawl into.

I have a hybrid fusion and you can hear the electric a/c compressor running but it’s an electric motor noise.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hello all, just joined, purchased a 2020 Black SE Sport Hybrid AWD with the upgraded wheels and interior in early March. Overall loving the vehicle but recently started to experience a loud noise coming from under the hood when the AC is on.

When the Escape is started but the ICE is not on and we turn the AC on it starts making a whiny noise, it will stop if we turn the AC off and start again when turning it back on. The noise gets louder and louder as you turn the fan speed up, a little louder at each speed. The outside temperature does not seem to matter. It is loud and I maybe could think this is a normal noise if it did this from the beginning of owning the vehicle but we didn't notice it until last week and there have been plenty of occasions that we would have noticed.

The noise does reduce or potentially go away when the ICE starts or if you drive for a bit and park and have it switch back to EV sometimes it's noticeable and sometimes it's not.

Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone know enough about the hybrid cabin cooling system to know why this might be normal?

I did take it to the dealership and they came back and indicated that it was normal operation, but I still feel that it isn't or atleast hope not as we really like pretty much everything else about it do far.

Also I can probably post a video link if people are interested in hearing the noise.
I’m running the AC every day. No noticeable extra noise.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks Phaedrus, did you have a chance to watch the clips I posted, are you saying yours does not make the same noise at all?
I listened to the videos. No noise like that—not at all! While I have not opened the hood, I’m sure my wife would would have heard that type sound from outside the car.

·
Registered
2020 Escape
202 Posts
Thanks for the input SledDog, any tips on how to remove debris? I guess I need to locate the intake for the air blower first.
Sorry. No clue. Not on the escape anyway. For the transits they pulled the interior fan and cleaned the housing.

A manual would show you how. There are ways to rent a manual for a few days from one of the ford sites. But I don’t have the website handy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I will schedule an appointment with a different dealership, hopefully they will have another hybrid on the lot so if they try to say it's normal operation we can compare directly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took it in today, I talked to the tech directly, he was having a hard time getting it to make any "strange" noise, so they pulled it next to a brand new hybrid on the lot and had me come out. I started my escape and didn't hear the noise but I noticed they had the AC on and the head icon which directs air up toward the head, I am doubtful this has anything to do with the issue, but we typically don't have the head or foot icon selected. So I switched off the head icon and turned off the vehicle for a minute and when I restarted it started making the noise. We then started up the dealerships hybrid and it was making the same noise, although both cars didn't sound as loud since it was in a pretty busy parking lot with a busy highway being pretty close by. The tech seemed to think it was loud but also thought it was normal since both vehicles made the noise. He got my number and said he would keep an eye out for TSB's.

Anyways I am disappointed as it doesn't sound normal to me and we never heard the noise the first few months.

I am going to try testing out the different AC modes but I highly doubt that will do anything.

The tech did ask if this was our first hybrid and that the vehicle does have to cool the battery as well.

Any thoughts or advice, should I keep trying different dealerships, I didn't think to ask at the dealership but I don't think they are actually doing anything beyond diagnosis, how would I get them to take a look at the ac intake if they think it's normal operation.

Anyways, thanks for those have added any comments or suggestions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quick update, the mode selected does have an impact on how much noise it generates, so with the "head" mode selected it is quieter without it selected, and the noise is also louder if the recirculation is on regardless if head is selected or not.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Did you ever find out what was making the noise. My new escape hybrid is making the same noise.

I finally remembered to video-record my car.
Turns out there IS a noise when AC runs and the ICE is not running. With the hood open, it sounds fairly loud until the ICE starts up.

With the hood closed or when I’m driving, I don’t notice the noise.
With the hood up and the engine running, it’s almost indiscernible to my ears.

Video is 1:31. I could not figure out how to upload a video to this site; so, have posted it to YouTube.
https://youtu.be/r1s29VhJSmY

·
Registered
2 Posts
Turns out there IS a noise when AC runs and the ICE is not running. With the hood open, it sounds fairly loud until the ICE starts up.

Video is 1:31. I could not figure out how to upload a video to this site; so, have posted it to YouTube.
My wife doesn’t notice the noise inside the car either. I just noticed it outside and I don’t hear it all the time. Making the same sound as your car. Sorry but what is ICE.
My dealer says it’s normal and it’s just you notice different sounds with Hybrids. That’s two videos from this site and one other I’ve found so I assume it’s just something till ICE kicks in. I’ll guess internal
Combustion engine but I really don’t know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ICE is internal combustion engine.
This must be how they are, honestly 95% of the time it doesn't bother me but it certainly is annoying when you notice it, it just seems louder than it should be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thanks for adding this video, it definitely confirms that it isn't out of the ordinary.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts