2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on ordering a 2020 SE Sport Hybrid AWD, as my new company car as early as March of 2020. Since this is a company vehicle, this is the only model/trim level I can get.

On my current 2017 Escape SE AWD 2.0T, I have Thule roof bars attached to the factory rails and a trailer receiver hitch. I use the roof rack to install a SportRack roof box and the hitch to install a hitch mounted cargo carrier when I need more cargo space. A must when I need to haul work related items and am short on cargo space.

What are my options for roof bars, do I have to order the panoramic roof in order to get factory roof rails?

It seems as Malone is my only option so far for aftermarket cross bars: 2020 Ford Escape Roof Rack | etrailer.com

Is a factory installed trailer hitch receive an option?

Thanks for the clarification, I live in Montana and our local dealers have yet to receive 2020s and the sales folks can't answer these questions for me.

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
I just did a build of the vehicle on ford.com and I couldn't find a way to add the roof rails or receiver hitch. I think the hitch is only offered with the 2.0 liter option which isn't available with the vehicle you have to purchase.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It seems that Ford has limited the available options for the SE Sport Hybrid.
When I went to order mine I asked about fog lights. The business person, not the salesman, checked on his ordering program and said they are not an option for the SE. BUT, they ARE available on the Hybrid Titanium.
I realize you said because it is a company car the trim must be SE. Perhaps ask a Ford dealer business person about options for the Hybrid Titanium.

·
Super Moderator
2,252 Posts
I use the roof rack to install a SportRack roof box and the hitch to install a hitch mounted cargo carrier when I need more cargo space.
I assume there's more cargo space in the new model? Could you get away with just using the roof box- there's sure to be some company that will make roof racks to suit.

PS: The default picture for that model here 2020 Ford® Escape SE Sport Hybrid SUV | Model Highlights | Ford.com shows flush roof rails fitted for cross bars.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
My only question is why it’s called Sport?

·
Super Moderator
2,252 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
What are my options for roof bars, do I have to order the panoramic roof in order to get factory roof rails? ...
... Is a factory installed trailer hitch receive an option?
Allowable roof load with pano roof is 0 lb. No load allowed. Factory roof rack crossbars are a $150 option; I'll let you know when mine come in. They're still only rated at 100 lb.

Factory hitch is only on the 2.0L drivetrain. I have a cargo platform as well, and will look into aftermarket options when the need comes. The issue is the "kick" tailgate, if equipped, as the hitch blocks the sensor. Factory hitch includes a sensor upgrade, but my C-Max just got picky where you kicked.

Details are all in the order guide.

Have fun,
Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello ! I am new to this forum. I just bought 2020 SE Sport Hybrid AWD today after test driving the Toyota Rav4 Hybrid model.Easy choice for me the Ford wins ever time. I am looking to find the Cross Bars to go over my Sunroof. I saw some on Ebay but seemed like a steep price at $279 . What do you think have a better source? I also will see if I can get a tow hitch on my Escape.I do have the power lift-gate so I hope that works. Thank you.

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Escape Hybrid Dark Persian Green Metallic, 2012 Boss 302 Competition Orange Mustang
17 Posts
Hello ! I am new to this forum. I just bought 2020 SE Sport Hybrid AWD today after test driving the Toyota Rav4 Hybrid model.Easy choice for me the Ford wins ever time. I am looking to find the Cross Bars to go over my Sunroof. I saw some on Ebay but seemed like a steep price at $279 . What do you think have a better source? I also will see if I can get a tow hitch on my Escape.I do have the power lift-gate so I hope that works. Thank you.
The panoramic sunroofs are rated for 0 load and installing crossbars will void your warranty per the owners manual. See previous post above concerning this issue

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought the Cross Bars from my Ford Dealership and Im just waiting to install them. I am not going to use the Sunroof with them installed which is a shame but I need Surf Racks more than I need a Sunroof.

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Escape Hybrid Dark Persian Green Metallic, 2012 Boss 302 Competition Orange Mustang
17 Posts
I bought the Cross Bars from my Ford Dealership and Im just waiting to install them. I am not going to use the Sunroof with them installed which is a shame but I need Surf Racks more than I need a Sunroof.
As I said earlier...with the sunroof the racks are rated for “0” load. Talk to your service advisor when you get your crossbars installed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is how far up the moonroof lifts well into the track of the crossbars

My guess is the “zero load” rating is to discourage anyone from trying because of you accidentally bump the moonroof button, you’ll be breaking things badly. If it was me, I’d pull the moonroof fuse (if it has its own?) to avoid even accidentally triggering it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey thats a good idea about puling the moon-roof fuse . I will check with the service center once the crossbars come in and see if thats an option.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just so you know there is a warning in the owners manual about the use of crossbars with the sunroof and voiding your warranty....

·
Registered
7 Posts
The way I interpret the owners manual is that a crossbar can be used if the moonroof/sunroof is not opened. The height of the open sunroof would hit the crossbar. Why would Ford put side rails on cars with the sunroof option otherwise?
I'm trying to understand how easy it is to take the crossbars off and on as needed for carrying something. It's not easy getting a clear answer from a dealer. Also who else makes crossbars that fit those roof rails than Ford?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just got this Ford Escape Flyer in the mail. Anyone else see a problem with it? Couple getting ready to get in their kayak...but wait...no roof rail crossbars or kayak brackets installed on the Escape! Advertising at it’s best! Ford knows the Escape cannot support roof rail crossbars and the weight!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts