2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this recently popped up on the fordpass app on my phone despite it saying the recall date is 23rd of November 2021 NHTSA recall number 21V922m Ford recall number 21C31
I saw the one for the rears but mine showed to not be affected by that one. this vehicle has touchy enough brakes already.

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0
279 Posts
Please edit your post, the first one. When you go into edit mode, you can also edit the title.

Otherwise, you will unintentionally misleading tens of thousands of people. Use the dots at the top right of your post across from the title to access edit mode.

No harm no foul. Wasn't on purpose.

·
Registered
26 Posts
this recently popped up on the fordpass app on my phone despite it saying the recall date is 23rd of November 2021 NHTSA recall number 21V922m Ford recall number 21C31
I saw the one for the rears but mine showed to not be affected by that one. this vehicle has touchy enough brakes already.
I have the same recall notice for the front pads on my 21.

"During certain situations, the driver may have to apply more brake pedal force, and the distance required to stop the vehicle may be extended, increasing the risk of a crash."

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I have the same recall notice for the front pads on my 21.

"During certain situations, the driver may have to apply more brake pedal force, and the distance required to stop the vehicle may be extended, increasing the risk of a crash."
Surely Ford have a better way of describing the issue instead of saying 'may have to' and 'increasing the risk'.
Why don't they just simply say the suspect pads 'reduce braking performance'.

Maybe they are just trying to downplay the danger by saying 'they are probably ok, but who knows?' :p

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0
279 Posts
That's nhtsa standard speak.
Don't wanna scare anyone ya know....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please edit your post, the first one. When you go into edit mode, you can also edit the title.

Otherwise, you will unintentionally misleading tens of thousands of people. Use the dots at the top right of your post across from the title to access edit mode.

No harm no foul. Wasn't on purpose.
why would I want to edit my post? it IS a front brake pad recall, took it in today and they inspected the front brakes, took pictures and ordered the "improved" front brake pads that are only available on a specific VIN number basis.
I wish it was the rear ones, when it is cold and damp and you push the brake pedal while backing up it sounds like you are feeding a child into a shredder feet first.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok something is real screwy, you google it and it says rear brakes, the official letter from Ford does not specify front or rear and the internal Ford notice at the dealer shows it is the front brakes. not the rears.

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0
279 Posts
One of the folks responded it was only for rear brakes. I should have investigated more thoroughly prior to posting.

But now based on your most recent post I understand why he said that. I still should have investigated it more.

Apologies.
My bad.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I wish it was the rear ones, when it is cold and damp and you push the brake pedal while backing up it sounds like you are feeding a child into a shredder feet first.
Many car rear brakes do that and it does not only apply to Escapes as you probably know. When initially reversing when the rotors have been wet or covered in condensation the brake pads will squeal when removing the surface 'rust'.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many car rear brakes do that and it does not only apply to Escapes as you probably know. When initially reversing when the rotors have been wet or covered in condensation the brake pads will squeal when removing the surface 'rust'.
if the brakes are rusting in just the time you are in a store, that is a big problem. it does it backing up anytime the brakes are ambient temp or not warm from use, go to grocery store and a hour later as you try to depart, every one in the parking lot will know you are backing up.
now back to original topic of this post, I have E-mailed NTSB to verify what end brake pads failed their testing and what end Ford is supposed to be replacing.

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0
279 Posts
On behalf of the population of this forum, I thank you for going the extra mile.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
if the brakes are rusting in just the time you are in a store, that is a big problem. it does it backing up anytime the brakes are ambient temp or not warm from use, go to grocery store and a hour later as you try to depart, every one in the parking lot will know you are backing up.
Oh, ok, sorry...from your post #8 I wrongly assumed that this noise only happened when you first reversed the car after leaving it overnight which many have described on this forum. As you suggest it should not happen every time you reverse during the day and this needs to be addressed by Ford.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
a update on what the government feels is a important recall, well Ford does not feel it is important, after it allegedly being inspected on the 25th of February while they did the tire rotation, I had to take it back in on the 25th of March so they could inspect it for real and order the brake pads. fast forward to the 13th of May and after several attempts to get someone to answer the phone I drove all the way up there and confronted them where they were no help. (avoid auto nation dealers like the plague) I traveled even further to a legitimate dealer, bypassed the BS artist (service writers) and went directly to the parts guy where he told me it takes forever to get those pads, they have many on order and just recently got the first pair in for a order from mid February.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So I took mine in for both the brake pad recall and the potential leaking/damaged oil separator recall. Oil separator is fine, as I had kind of figured. As for the brake pads, Ford is being very stingy with them, and according to my service rep, they will not ship a set of brake pads until the dealer sends them certain ID information for EACH vehicle subject to the recall. According to him, they don't want people misusing the recall to just renew brake pads.

Personally, I think it's a bit of a supply chain issue, and Ford isn't able to get them in quick enough. Anyway, parts were ordered, and they recieved them yesterday, So I get to take another trip to the dealer to get them installed. Which, if they're just changing the pads, should take about 2 hours tops.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Update - the pads came in and I had the recall work done, the front pads were replaced.
I gave it a little test drive up Robert Mills Road, and more importantly, back down Robert Mills Road (elevation change about 1000 ft) to test them under somewhat strenuous conditions. No issues.

I'd really like to know what is different from these pads and the original pads. Subconsciously, I feel like the brakes are a little more responsive, but that's probably not true.

Also, I went down that hill about 6 months ago and smelled brake smoke, but I really don't know if it was mine. Since they seemed to work fine even then, probably not. There was no such smell this trip down the hill though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts