2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
22 Escape Titanium PHEV +Tow
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

This is my first time posting here. I just bought the 2022 Escape Titanium PHEV.

When I first received the car 4 weeks ago, I was getting approximately 61km (38 miles) of range every day. The engine would kick in with around 4km's left on my drive home which was great. The average temperature those first 3 weeks was 18C (63F). This week the temp is closer to 8C (46F), but the morning temp in my garage is still 16C (61F).

Last week I drove to work one morning, and when I got there it showed that I had 28km (17 miles) left, then when I got back in the car at the end of the day, the range showed 17km (11 miles) left and this proved to be accurate as the engine kicked in 9km earlier then it normally had. Since that big drop on that day, it has been getting progressively worse. I now get approximately 52km's (32 miles) out of the battery, and it seems to be dropping every couple of days by 0.5km. When I first got the car, a full charge was around 61km, now a full charge is 52km. It hasn't gotten that cold, especially not in the garage. I drive with the seat heaters off, the climate control system is at 19C (66F), and the app shows I'm over 96% regularly with my driving/braking habits. I understand that the efficiency will be less in cold weather due to having to heat the car, seats, etc., but this seems like a big drop. 15% loss in 4 weeks and a 10C drop in temp. I live in Ontario and will have much colder weather this winter and am wondering if i will have any battery life by that time if it continues to drop like this.

My question: Is this normal with others experience or could there be a battery issue. It's seems to have started that day when I lost that 11km range while it was parked at work.

Thanks,

· Registered
22 Escape Titanium PHEV PP+Tow
244 Posts
Well you've been getting better than me. I don't think my estimate has ever been over 52km since getting the car mid Sept. But I have noticed a pretty big hit this week with the colder weather. Like my 5km drive this morning took off 9km of estimated range. But then I've also found the range estimates to go all over the place. I tend to use heated seat on lowest, heated steering, and cabin set to auto 20C. And pre-conditioning (not plugged in) before I leave. So I think some of that is messing with the range estimates.

Myself I find the car will go right down to 0km range left before before switching on the engine. Usually get 98% regen, and tend to stay under 50KW on the power meter when accelerating.

· Registered
22 Escape Titanium PHEV +Tow
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My usual estimate is now 52km. So right in the range of what you seem to be getting. I just wanted to make sure this was normal, which it seems it is.

I was just surprised by the 15% drop in range since getting the car in September.

Thanks,

· Registered
2 Posts
This is consistent with what I noticed where the EV range that show up in the car after overnight charging on Level2 charger is still 31miles as opposed to 40miles I used to see in the first 2 weeks of buying the car. While driving efficiency and usage of heater etc might reduce range, it's shocking to see the range shrinking by 20% in 8 weeks of owning the car even with overnight charging. I fear there are some problems with battery drainage faster than expected and gets worse with colder weather even when vehicle is not in use or even when charging. Most likely a law suit coming up for Ford to issue massive recalls on this one!!

· Registered
2022 Escape PHEV
135 Posts
I think the behavior of OP's Escape is perfectly normal. I have had my 2022 Escape PHEV only for a week now and have had a chance to charge it only three times. The first charge gave 33 miles EV range displayed on the GOM (Guess-O-Meter), the second charge, was 37 miles, and last night's third charge is back to 33 miles. I don't use up the entire range in a single trip often, so except for the first full charge after getting the car from the dealer with no EV range, the other two charges were partial charges only.

Since I have not driven the new Escape on a contiguous trip over the 100% EV range yet, I can't say what the actual EV range from 100% to 0% is on this car. But my experience with my previous PHEVs, Toyota Prius Prime, the EV range both GOM display and actual varies widely not only seasonally, but also on daily bases.

In my Prius Prime, on average, I was getting actual 34 miles EV range in warmer months, but in winter, the range would drop below 20 miles. The max EV range I got for a round trip was 38 miles (the EPA-rated range is only 25 miles). But winter months' shorter EV range brought the overall average EV efficiency to ~5mile/kWh which is about 30 miles of EV range on Prius Prime.

Since I got my new 2022 Escape PHEV after it got cold here (North East corner of New England), I don't expect the EV range to improve much until it gets warmer again next spring. I expect about a 40-45% EV range drop in Nov-April. Then gradual increase and best EV range in Jul-Sep with 45-50 miles on GOM. That is just the nature of EV driving.

· Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV FWD
578 Posts
With my Grill and Wheel Covers during the summer I got a high range 54 miles around town and average of 50 mi. During the winter a low of about 40 mi. and an average of 44-46 mi. maybe a 15-20% drop, temperature being the key factor. Temps in the 20's- 60*F and I have a non heated garage. Grill covers make a noticeable difference.

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts