2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, we just bought a 2021 Escape Titanium Hybrid, nice car....however when put in reverse it not only makes the fake engine/music sound (which I don't mind) it also beeps, like a commercial vehicle backup beep. It is not the sensors, this is outside the car and seems to come from the same speaker as the engine "music".

There is nothing I can find online or in any manual or menu...unfortunately maybe something the stealership needs to do?

Thanks for any advice, we live in a quiet neighborhood, it's shocking how loud the beep is at 6 AM when leaving for work.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Hello, we just bought a 2021 Escape Titanium Hybrid, nice car....however when put in reverse it not only makes the fake engine/music sound (which I don't mind) it also beeps, like a commercial vehicle backup beep. It is not the sensors, this is outside the car and seems to come from the same speaker as the engine "music".

There is nothing I can find online or in any manual or menu...unfortunately maybe something the stealership needs to do?

Thanks for any advice, we live in a quiet neighborhood, it's shocking how loud the beep is at 6 AM when leaving for work.
From research it appears that the reverse beeping is now a legal requirement for hybrid and electric vehicles as a warning for blind pedestrians as they cannot 'hear' your engine when you are reversing.
You probably can disable it somehow but then you will get a dash warning 'pedestrian warning inactive' or similar.

Perhaps you could back into your garage or parking space so as not to disturb your neighbors early in the morning. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would take it to the dealer. I would also be annoyed if mine made a loud reverse beep.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I would take it to the dealer. I would also be annoyed if mine made a loud reverse beep.
Does yours make any beep at all in reverse?
It is now a legal requirement on all hybrid and electric vehicles and therefore is standard on the 2021 Titanium hybrid for the reason outlined in #2..
Not sure how long that law has been in place but perhaps the loudness can be adjusted.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Does yours make any beep at all in reverse?
It is now a legal requirement on all hybrid and electric vehicles and therefore is standard on the 2021 Titanium hybrid for the reason outlined in #2..
Not sure how long that law has been in place but perhaps the loudness can be adjusted.
Nope - I've never heard any passenger vehicle with the backup sound here either except maybe some of the larger sprinter vans - and quite a bit of people in Los Angeles drive a hybrid or full EV

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Nope - I've never heard any passenger vehicle with the backup sound here either except maybe some of the larger sprinter vans - and quite a bit of people in Los Angeles drive a hybrid or full EV
Yours must have just missed out on this requirement. :)
It is now required on all new Hybrid and Electric cars apparently.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yours must have just missed out on this requirement. :)
It is now required on all new Hybrid and Electric cars apparently.
I think the sound required in your link is this one, which has been on hybrid vehicles for years:

And the OP is talking about this sound:

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I think the sound required in your link is this one, which has been on hybrid vehicles for years:

And the OP is talking about this sound:
Yep, I am aware of that but apparently the beep, music whatever it is now required when reversing as well as there is probably more chance of hitting a blind pedestrian or cyclist under these conditions.

·
Registered
25 Posts

It is required by law on all hybrids as the engine is almost silent and pedestrians have complained they can’t here the vehicle coming …you can not turn it off

·
Registered
12 Posts
At least for USA vehicle’s sound is a requirement but it is very subtle not a beep. This sounds like something the dealership added. I would take it to the stealership and have them remove it.
At the very least I would go to another dealership and “Test Drive” a hybrid so you can see that it doesn’t beep. Then you will have your answer.

·
Registered
2021 Ford Escape PHEV SE
8 Posts
I have a 2021 Escape SE Plug in hybrid and I can confirm that the reverse is a loud beep and very annoying. The Mach Es have this feature too. I love backing out of a parking spot and everyone turns to look and probably assumes I’m a commercial driver.

I’m not a lawyer etc so don’t take any of my thoughts as advice but I have seen on Mach E forums of ways to “adjust” the sound. I can also confirm that the speaker on the Escape is really really hard to reach.

·
Registered
2021 Sport Hybrid FWD SE
150 Posts
That noise is not loud to me at all. If anything its more embarrassing..I just feel like a huge dork with the beep beep beep lol. Coming from big lifted trucks with loud exhaust it's quite different...I feel like ducking in my seat....

Its not that loud folks.. I actually thought it was internal(so the driver knows they are in reverse) until I heard another escape do it in a parking lot. Be thankful it's there, it might help you one day backing up....so many people are in a rush.... You can't hear these cars..

Just remember, if you disable it and hit someone and they end up suing you, nuff said...... hopefully insurance won't cover legal fees because it's straight neglect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can confirm that the Pedestrian Alarm Control Module (PACM) is not accessible in Forscan (yet, at least). I can also confirm that it is under the driver headlight and very hard to reach.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE I3 & 2020 Titanium Hybrid
208 Posts
Tire Wheel Blue Automotive tire Vehicle

Image Source: https://www.forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11539

It might be possible to make a small extension harness at the module that disconnects the speakers and uses an appropriate sized resistor to keep the module happy. I may take this up at some point.

Also, someone here has replaced at least one of the speakers with a resistor:

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are folks on the F150 forums who've already spliced 4-5 ohm resistors in at the speaker. It works.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes, see my link, however that means the system consumes at least 100w. I would rather turn it off somehow for efficiency purposes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, see my link, however that means the system consumes at least 100w. I would rather turn it off somehow for efficiency purposes.
You said you wanted to splice in a resistor. That will consume power (not nearly 100w) or you will get a code unless Forscan finds a way to access the module.

·
Registered
208 Posts
4 ohm x 12v = 48 watts x 2 speakers = ~ 100w not including the module.

·
Registered
9 Posts
4 ohm x 12v = 48 watts x 2 speakers = ~ 100w not including the module.
W=V*I, not R. V=I*R. So a 4ohm resistor means it uses 36 watts (for the few seconds you'rein reverse), and only the front speaker is active in reverse (I'm not even sure mine has a rear speaker....I couldn't find it).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts