2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just turned 15k on my 2021 PHEV average mph is 180 mph. Super pleased with the vehicle. Took it have tires rotated and balanced. When I got home noticed on FordPass that the pressure was not at 33 psi Used my compressor to get them at the right pressure but ended up with 35 psi on all tires per FordPass. Was going to go back and set to 33 but I’m getting better electric miles and even the regeneration seems to work better? No noticeable driving difference.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Pretty common story for just about any vehicle. The harder the tires (higher the psi), the better you mileage/range will be: Less rolling resistant. Downsides are rougher ride, and more importantly, abnormal tire wear in the center of the tread. You likely won't see much for unusual wear going to 36 psi, but people who push it up to 40 psi or more to get the maximum range see more issue and have to replace tires more often.

BTW I think you mean MPG, not MPH. I don't think these vehicle will even go that fast. :LOL:

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV FWD
552 Posts
I have 30k mi. on my tires 44-43 psi and outside of the tire tread is wearing more than the center, logic would dictate I should raise my tire pressure some more. I find at max pressure 44 psi. the car corners better which improves range/mpg, less loss of efficiency. Roundabouts are a prefect example how to conserve energy going around a left hand corner. You want to be in D and off the gas petal to put a load on the suspension and line up so you have a strait shot with the outside of the entrance to roundabout to the inside of the curve. Then pull to the left and head for the exit. At this point if you use regen to much you lose a lot of speed/energy not efficient, if you come in hot to the center, you have two chooses, slam on the brakes, terrible waste of energy or step on the gas lightly, but heavy enough to transfer weight to the back of the car causing the car to turn to the left and not skid. The tires aren't to bad and don't brake away suddenly. I find this can be entertaining with tailgaters in that they end up slamming on their brakes and they will be off your rear-end for awhile.

Paul

·
Registered
22 Escape Titanium PHEV PP+Tow
141 Posts
... I find this can be entertaining with tailgaters in that they end up slamming on their brakes and they will be off your rear-end for awhile.
Happens with me often on my motorcycle. I'll cruise along at 60km/h into a sharp turn not even slowing down (I'd take the turn about 60% as fast in a car). As I exit the turn any car behind me is suddenly way behind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts