2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium FWD 1.5L Ecoboost
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are considering getting a new 2021 Escape later this year. We are thinking the SEL would be best for us. However, I sat in an SE model at the dealer a while back and was admiring the very nice cloth seats it had in addition to the fatter tires, which help to provide better protection against potholes along with a better and smoother ride quality. Obviously, not getting the SEL would lose some bells and whistles along with the snazzier wheels. With that said we are weighing the differences between an SE with Cold Weather and Convenience Packages against an SEL with Technology Package. Any thoughts on this??? Thanks.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If SEL comes with 2.0L that alone worth the extra $$$

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The 2.0L Ecoboost engine is optional on the SEL. The addition of this option requires all wheel drive. I have really tried hard and cannot locate any businesses near me that offer tire blading/shaving services, plus we prefer to just stay home if it is raining or snowing. Although the 2.0L AWD configuration does offer some real benefits, I am thinking the front wheel drive model may just be better for us.

·
Registered
292 Posts
1.5L noisy with some boom noise and less power with only slightly better economy. Does SEL have full digital dash? It looks much nicer then analog.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The SEL model when equipped with the Technology Package does have the full digital instrument cluster.

I heard the new 1.5L Ecoboost engine is noisy, but does emit a nice 6 Cylinder like growl sound. We may also consider the Hybrid option as well, as it has gotten great reviews. I heard that the new Hybrid system is very quiet, smooth, and refined. Plus we do almost all City driving anyways.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Don't know much about other engine choices. I went with 2.0 because it quiet, smooth and excellent performance.

Reactions: cavalierrs

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rode in a 2.0L Ecoboost Escape once and was very impressed with the acceleration. I am scared of getting a flat tire in an AWD vehicle and having to replace all 4 tires.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I rode in a 2.0L Ecoboost Escape once and was very impressed with the acceleration. I am scared of getting a flat tire in an AWD vehicle and having to replace all 4 tires.
If that's your only concern with AWD then don't worry. I owned AWD cars exclusively for past 15 years and had dozen of flat tires. Discount tire or Less Schwab fixed those for free without issues. There was one time I had close to sidewall puncture that Discount tire didn't want to repair but Les Schwab took care of it. I never had to replace a tire due to puncture let alone all four.

Reactions: Soccerguy48025

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
722 Posts
You never have to replace all four when you get a flat repair on one tire.
Not sure where you got this one from.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,483 Posts
The only time you would have to replace all four of your tires is if the damaged tire is un-repairable, and the difference in tread wear is too great from the new tire. I don’t think it is anything you should worry about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know under certain circumstances on all wheel drive vehicles it will be recommended to replace all 4 tires at once if one tire becomes destroyed. I understand that if the tire tread depth becomes uneven between all 4 tires that it can cause unwanted traction control activation as well as damage to the electronics of the all wheel drive system over time. Perhaps I am over thinking this but it is something to be aware of. I have not been able to locate any business near me that offers tire blading/shaving as of yet.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I know under certain circumstances on all wheel drive vehicles it will be recommended to replace all 4 tires at once ... I have not been able to locate any business near me that offers tire blading/shaving as of yet.
You're thinking of 4WD, not AWD. In off-road capable 4x4's, locking differentials might be strained by slight tire size differences. In a modern AWD drivetrain, there are no locked differentials. At most, you'd buy 2 tires for the same axel, as with any car.

And as the former owner of a tire shaving system, if you're not racing, what's the point?

·
Registered
111 Posts
The SEL model when equipped with the Technology Package does have the full digital instrument cluster.

I heard the new 1.5L Ecoboost engine is noisy, but does emit a nice 6 Cylinder like growl sound. We may also consider the Hybrid option as well, as it has gotten great reviews. I heard that the new Hybrid system is very quiet, smooth, and refined. Plus we do almost all City driving anyways.
I can tell you, I have a friend with the 1.5 and he is very disappointed with the noise /vibration from it....and it is almost constant. I have the Hybrid and in the city/ around town, it is hard to beat the awesome gas mileage. As far as front drive vs AWD, this is my first AWD in 30 years of driving. All others have been front wheel drive, and I lived near a ski resort in NJ for most of my life. I have found that with good tires and being smart about driving, front wheel drive is great. I picked up AWD this time because I plan on using this Escape as an adventure vehicle as well, going to campsites and places off the beaten path. Not trying to talk you out of AWD, but even if you are caught off guard with some snow or ice, FWD should suffice. Test drive all 3 engine configs that are avialable now: 3 cyl, 4 cyl, and hybrid and see what you think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts