2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I ordered a plug in hybrid escape SEL with the moon roof on March 8. received the confirmation email on March 9. Dealer said it should take 3-6months to get the car. I haven't heard anything except the July 1 email apologizing for the lack of communication and promising to provide an update every 45 days.

Today I called my dealer, they had no update. I found a number to call Ford Corporate, Gave them the order number and they looked it up. They just repeated what the dealer told me and said if I don't have a VIN number issued by end of sept they will bump me to a 2023.

I'm not mad. I knew the car would take awhile to get. It's a supply chain crisis after all. I'm just lost in how after 5 months they can't provide a clear-to-build date or estimated production date. Really i'd feel a lot better if they just gave me a date. One of the big reasons i wanted the car was the tax credit, this is in jeopardy as Ford nears 200K EVs sold. Yes the current senate bill removes this cap, but it also adds income limits. So one way or another I wont qualify in 2023.

Really the whole experience has been kind of a let down. I was really excited about the car but it doesn't seem like Ford will fulfill the order anytime soon. Starting to consider other non-Ford vehicles as we approach the 2022 clearance time of year. How much longer would you wait?
WOW! That is THE most precise info I've seen to date on the overall ordering process: "They just repeated what the dealer told me and said if I don't have a VIN number issued by end of sept they will bump me to a 2023."

The last bit of news (from this site that I read) is that 2023 Escape production is scheduled (or intended) to start in November 2022. That could get delayed if they need to clear out all the not-yet-built 2022 models before stamping parts for the 2023 versions. There are body style differences.

There's a chance you/we may still qualify for the Federal Tax Credit. Tracking site is: Federal EV Tax Credit Phase Out Tracker By Automaker | EVAdoption

If you're not on the X-Plan yet, see if your dealer participates in the X-Plan. My understanding is that you need to be a member of an X-Plan approved organization for 90 days in order to qualify for the X-Plan pricing. I also do not yet have a VIN and likely, we're in no danger of getting a VIN issued any month soon. Point being, you have plenty of time to join an X-plan approved org, get your X-Plan certificate and then sit back and wait for the 90-day period to pass. Need a few resources on the process? No problem. Here you go:

Step 1: Ford X-Plan Partner Companies: Ford X-Plan Partner Companies
Step 2: If you're not a member of a partner company, join one. EAA works.
Step 3: Get the Ford partner code of the org you belong to (or just joined).
Step 4: Enter the partner code on this site: AXZ Plan - Login
Step 5: Generate your very own X-plan certificate and print it or save it to your computer or do both.
Step 6: Sit back and wait your 90 days. On the 91st day, you now qualify for the X-plan. Again, we are in no danger of getting our respective VINs in the next 90 days. I ordered 4 months ago and other than the we-have-no-clue letter from Ford, I have received no info. Even my sales guy has stopped calling every few weeks.

One other thing... you asked "How much longer would you wait?"
The short answer is, I'll wait through 2023 if I have to. Here's why.
My dealer doesn't mark up beyond MSRP. That's much better than the $8K+MSRP on a Toyota Rav4 Prime I've been quoted. Also, the local Toyota dealers do not accept custom configuration online orders. I've also been told (and I believe) that for MSRP only on a Rav4 Prime, I'm looking at 2023 or 2024. No reason to doubt that. I'm in Silicon Valley and have lived through multiple supply chain nightmares. There is no easy fix. Ford still looks pretty darn good, even with all the delays. I want to believe. I want to buy American. I want to love the blue oval since I used to see the Ford World Headquarters building from Michigan Ave on the way to visit my grandparents in Dearborn, who always drove Fords. Have to admit, Ford is making it tough.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I ordered mine Jan 6 and have no production date, VIN , or anything. I totally agree with you.
Now I wonder about a 2023 and how long to wait for that. Very frustrating. I call every other month but no news. Same with the dealer.
I'm due to receive my second "We have no clue" letter from Ford on Aug 16th. We'll see if Ford can manage to even send an electronic notification on time, as scheduled, as they stated they would do in the first letter I received from them on July 2nd.

Oh, and one more bit of news...

If you take delivery after January 1, 2023 that $7,500 Federal tax credit will likely no longer apply.

Here's why: The Inflation Reduction Act stipulates that 50% of the battery parts and 40% of the minerals have to come from U.S. shores or a country with which we have free trade agreements, and must be done so by December 2023 and December 2024, respectively. Those figures will go up by 10% each year of the program.

The problem: Currently, 90% of minerals used in EVs are processed in China, according to Katherine Stainken, vice president of policy for the Electrification Coalition, per Spectrum News.

Ref: EV Tax Credit in Inflation Reduction Act Very Limiting: ‘Most Vehicles Immediately Ineligible’

With loan interest rates increasing and the Federal Tax credit likely going away, demand should decrease making a Ford Escape PHEV easier to get, that is, if Ford ever chooses to schedule any Escapes for production. (Scroll to the bottom of the page on this link: Production Week Scheduling Information)

A Toyota RAV4 Prime is automatically excluded, unless it meets the battery test above and is assembled in the US. That's good news if price isn't a concern for you and you're just looking for decreased demand leading to an increase in supply of RAV4 Primes. Both the Ford Escape PHEV and the Toyota RAV4 Prime are non-turbocharged 2.5-Liter 4-cyl Atkinson-cycle engines. If you like the Ford Escape PHEV engine, you'll like the Toyota RAV4 Prime engine and vice versa. Doesn't really matter, though, since both vehicles are automotive unicorns.

As is, the Inflation Reduction Act should pretty much kill the electric car market. Let's hope the derived regulations are modified/corrected before they become effective on Jan 1, 2023.

·
Registered
66 Posts
New email tonight from Ford Motor Company, Customer Relationship Center: The production date for your vehicle has changed. We have made an adjustment to the production date for your 2022 Escape Titanium Plug-In Hybrid. Your vehicle is now scheduled to be built the week of August 29, 2022. We will continue to keep you informed regarding your vehicle's production status. Was week September 5, 2022 previously. There's still hope!
THAT is good news! CONGRATS!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Today's email has mine pushed 1 week further to 9-19.
Your vehicle is now scheduled to be built the week of September 19, 2022. We will continue to keep you informed regarding your vehicle's production status.
My timeline:
April 7, 2022: Ford Motor Company confirms my order via email
August 15, 2022: Still no VIN
August 16, 2022: Received this in an email from my local dealer: "There has been no movement on your order being picked up [by Ford]. The order banks are going to open up [for 2023 Ford Escape models] on September 19th. So I will let you know if your vehicle will just end up being converted over to a 2023 model."

Over 4 months, no VIN. Best Ford can do is push my order to 2023 and start over... and charge me more for a 2023.
Glad I'm on the X-plan and have already verified my local dealer accepts X-Plan pricing.
X-Plan pricing: Invoice - 0.4% + $275 program fee.

Paying invoice isn't such a bad thing, but I'd trade it for an actual VIN and a production date in a heartbeat.

Adjusting to my new reality...

Good comparison pictures between the 2022 and the 2023:

2023 Escape trim levels vs. 2022 Escape trim levels:

I haven't found details (yet) on the 2023 upper trim level: Platinum.

Increasing loan rates, a looming recession and (likely) fewer vehicles qualifying for the Federal Tax Credit in 2023 should all work to reduce demand.

I do wonder if I'll get a 2023 model or a 2024 model.

From all the threads on this forum, I believe 20 months is the record for the longest time from placing the original order to actually taking delivery. Bet I beat that, easily.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I sent my current dealer an email this morning to GSM & my salesman to see if they could remove a few options that might be causing my order to be skipped. The salesman's response wasn't much help.

Dealer's email:
Re: Your 2022 Escape Titanium Plug-In Hybrid Order
"Unfortunately, the reason your Edge is being pushed back is due to the shortage in Hybrid engines. I do apologize for the inconvenience; we did not know this would be an issue at the time we placed your order. As of now it is still on schedule to be produced September 19th, hopefully that date remains. Thank you for your patience with us throughout this process, feel free to give me a call or text with any questions."

My email:
I'm looking for help with my Escape PHEV order.
It looks to me like Ford is bypassing production on my 2022 Escape Titanium PHEV order.
Perhaps because of constrained parts, or mandatory changes to order guides???

I'd like to see if you can help me with getting this order filled before 2022 production ends.
I've heard Escape production ends Oct 23, 2022.

I have heard that Ford will continue to skip scheduled orders that have mandatory option deletes and constrained items on them.

Can you reach out to your Ford Region Rep to get my order T300 sitting at Priority 02 changed to a lower Priority that will allow options changes?

Delete: Option 63C Splash Guards - 2022 Order Guide 06-29-2022

Add Option 18D and 91W

JOB 1 ORDER GUIDE UPDATES - 6-29-2022
Added: Hands-Free, Foot-Activated? Feature Removal (18D)? – on SEL and Titanium series.
Added: 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hotspot Removal – Required Option (91W)? on all Series
Wait... you emailed your dealer about your Escape order and they provided you with a standard response about EDGE engines?
I get supply chain issues, but I don't understand an inability of employees of a major US corporation to actually READ a simple email query from a customer.

Just so you have accurate info...
MY = Model Year
Balance Out Date = date last models for the specified model year roll off the assembly line.
So, the date you care about for your 2022 Escape is 11/23/22. "11/23/2022 - 2022MY Balance Out Date". Ref: 2023 Escape Production Information

·
Registered
66 Posts
One of the dealers near me is offering "any unit of your choice at dealer employee pricing", which I think is employee or X-plan pricing. At an example invoice price of $40,000, .4% is .004 x $40,000 = $160 under invoice. That makes the price $40,000 - $160 + $275 = $40,115. Compared to MSRP, is that a good deal or not?

D-Plan pricing is way, way better than MSRP.

Dealer employee pricing is the Ford D-Plan. D-Plan gets you a better price than the X-Plan.

"Ford D-Plan Pricing applies to dealer employees and their family members. It's nearly as good as the company's corporate employee discount, but tacks on an extra $100. If someone in your family works at a Ford dealership, you may want to find out if you can get access to this discount since it offers impressive savings. "

Here is a link to the different Ford discount plans. I can confirm the info in the following link for the X-Plan pricing is accurate: Ford A-Plan, Z-Plan, X-Plan, D-Plan Pricing: How It's Calculated and What You Need to Know. In the link, find the calculation for the A-Plan and then add $100.

Jim, unless you're a Ford employee, you can't do better than the Ford D-Plan.

To be completely honest, if I could get a 2022 Escape PHEV Titanium in black at the D-Plan price, I would not be typing this to you right now. I'd have already signed the paperwork and would be driving home in my new Escape.

D-Plan pricing on a model/trim you like = go buy it, immediately.

The only remaining question: What's the catch? Do you have to finance the vehicle?

If you need it, here are the 2022 Escape invoice prices (by trim level). At least the Plug-in Titanium invoice price is accurate in the following link, my salesperson confirmed it for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I like to hear good news. Good luck. I contacted my dealer yesterday and still no change. No VIN#, production date or any news. Ordered Jan 6th. The dealer says he hasn’t forgotten me; they haven’t gotten hardly anything in.
Ford is two days late, but did what they said they would do... update me with news that they still have no idea when or if they'll ever be able to deliver my Escape.
The first no clue letter is dated July 2, 2022 and the second no clue letter dated today, Aug 18, 2022. Both letters are attached. Notice in the one from today they didn't even address me by name in the letter. Commodity vehicle, commodity customer, I guess. (That's a nod to a previous post of mine where I point out the CEO called the Escape a commodity vehicle).

Ford is completely committed... to keeping me updated with no clue letters. I'm so looking forward to the next one in 45ish days.

And a few days ago, my salesperson told me the "order banks" for the 2023 Escape will open up on Sept. 19th. "So I will let you know if your vehicle will just end up being converted over to a 2023 model." I read that to mean with or without my consent and without waiting for end of 2022 production in Nov, the dealer will, at their discretion, cancel my 2022 order and rebook it as a 2023. No mention that the trim levels are changing in 2023. No mention if this was acceptable to me. No mention if the rebooked 2023 order will have any special priority. To be fair, since Ford hasn't "picked up my order yet", I don't have a VIN so the dealer has absolutely no ability to check on the status of my vehicle since there is no status.

Henry must be rolling over in his grave.

Font Parallel Circle Document Screenshot
Font Parallel Screenshot Document Circle

·
Registered
66 Posts
New email tonight from Ford Motor Company, Customer Relationship Center: The production date for your vehicle has changed. We have made an adjustment to the production date for your 2022 Escape Titanium Plug-In Hybrid. Your vehicle is now scheduled to be built the week of September 5, 2022 (again :rolleyes::cautious:).
Frank,

I don't even see the production schedule info posted for the week of Sept 5th or Aug 29th - encouraging if Ford REALLY builds plug-in Escapes during those two weeks.

From your previous post: Your scheduled build date was Sept 5, 2022, then Aug 29, 2022 and now Sept 5th again. Always interesting. There's still hope since you do actually have a VIN and you have until Nov 23rd to get your Titanium built. As long as your 2022 order does not get canceled and rolled to 2023 there is hope. If it comes down to the wire (with Ford tossing around mid-November dates to you), I wonder if you'll get the last 2022 Escape Titanium to be built. I would think as the number of 2022s yet-to-be-built dwindles, Ford would have an easier and easier time tracking this for you. Worst case, your door sticker will tell you how close to Nov 23rd (the Balance Out date) you really were. I really do hope at least one more person on this forum takes delivery of the 2022 they actually ordered.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ordered mine on January 18th. Funny thing is I received a VIN a couple months later but nothing else. I have NEVER received anything from Ford. I call my salesperson after every alleged production date comes and goes---now on my 15th---and she gives me the new alleged date. Was to have been this week but still nothing on the tracker. Will give it a couple more days then call the dealer and get the new ALLEGED date. The total lack of communication from Ford means this is the last car I will ever purchase from them.
mcarlton,

You're ahead of me.
Ford confirmed my order on April 7th, 2022, but I still have not even received a VIN.
The General Manager of the dealership told me they ordered a Super Duty in Jan 2022 for personal use and still haven't taken delivery on it. My jaw hit the floor. That tells me even the General Manager can't expedite their own personal order. WOW!

At this point, my expectation is that, best case, I'll take delivery of a 2023 about August of 2023. With the changes in 2023 to the Federal EV tax credit, rising interest rates and decreasing demand, it's going to be interesting which I'm able to take delivery on first: A 2023 Toyota RAV4 Prime or a 2023 Ford Escape PHEV (Platinum). Fine with either, doubtful on both. I would not at all be surprised if this backlog drifts into 2024.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Today's Ford email, 12th one so far, production date change to Oct 3, 2022.
Escape Titanium PHEV ordered 3-11
For now, October is supposed to be the last month of MY2022 production.
Tired_Lizard,

The last day your 2022 Escape Titanium PHEV could be built is 11/23/2022 (2022MY Balance Out Date). That date info is current as of Aug 8, 2022.
Ref: 2023 Escape Production Information

·
Registered
66 Posts
Finally got some "official" word from Ford. Email on Friday 2nd says dealer will receive my Titanium PHEV by Sept 8th! Other sites say shipping should take about two days to make the 600 miles from Kentucky with multiple deliveries. Wish me luck!
Dovidas44, looks like you'll easily make the deadline for the current Federal Tax Credit as well. CONGRATS!!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thank you for this extremely useful information! I had seen several posts including this one that discussed X-Plan but I figured I would not qualify. Last Friday, I clicked on the Ford X-Plan Partner companies link above and saw that there are hundreds, possibly thousands of participating companies and organizations. My wife's employer was on the list and a quick search led me to the employer's HR page with the Ford Partner code. Called the dealer and confirmed that they participate, got my X-plan certificate and we will get the discount after the vehicle arrives. I am hopeful / confident that it will be built before 2023MY starts production.
SolarBob, great news! Glad the instructions worked for you! If you take delivery before Dec 31st, 2022, you'll get a $7,500 Federal Tax Credit in addition to the X-Plan savings.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Got my hopes up when the tracking site estimated delivery by one week after production. Forgetting it's far more common to be 3-5 weeks. Now onto my third estimated delivery week. Now I'm wondering if the car is even ready, or sitting in a lot waiting on finishing parts.
Golluk,
The last conversation I had with my dealer's General Manager, they told me that the only thing they could help with (as in tracking my order) is when a vehicle is scheduled for delivery or in transit.
It's worth a call to your dealer. The sales person may not have access. Give the General Manager a call.

·
Registered
66 Posts
From in Production to Built!! 🎉🥳 Now I wait for shipping!

View attachment 82064
Frank,

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to look at that timeline a few times to believe it.
From production to built... IN... ONE... DAY!!!!!

Amazing! CONGRATS!!!!

I really hope this is beginning of normal production resuming.

Also, looks like you'll be enjoying a $7,500 tax credit!!!!

One more data point: Your order was confirmed on 4/13/22. My order was confirmed on 4/722 - but I still don't have a VIN. If I do get a VIN soon, that would definitely be a sign that Ford is doing some serious catch up on the Escape orders.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Got an email from Ford Customer Support Center at 4:27am EDT this morning:

Your 2022 Escape Titanium Plug-In Hybrid Order.

YOUR VEHICLE HAS BEEN BUILT

Dear Frank Martin,

Great news! Your 2022 Escape Titanium Plug-In Hybrid has been built. We are performing some final inspections on your vehicle and getting it ready for shipment. Our current estimate for delivery to "your dealer" is between October 2, 2022 and October 8, 2022.
Frank,

First, an update from Ford on a Sunday? That is impressive.

I wonder if the Kentucky plant is (or ramping up to) actually building Escape PHEVs in all 3 daily shifts. If they have the parts Ford would be smart to throw cash (in form of optional overtime) at the Kentucky plant to catch up on orders. It's in Ford's best interest to actually deliver as many backordered PHEVs as they can to keep people in a Ford. This week's announcement of the Chevrolet Equinox EV at $30K with fast charging won't make Ford's life any easier. What a nice looking EV (The $30,000 2024 Chevrolet Equinox EV Wants to Pull Off What the Bolt Couldn't).

That build date was real and not an estimate. WOW!
If they can build one Titanium, maybe they can build another and issue a VIN for VROD and me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow, my order actually showed up at the dealer this morning. Originally changed to shipped status on the 26th, so just shy of 3 weeks. Of course now I'm fully expecting to hear they only have a guy in twice a month to prepare deliveries, and they're still waiting on a back order of windshield washer fluid to finish the work...
O...M...G... THAT is really good! Do you write comedy for a living?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts