2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
321 - 340 of 355 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
We picked it up this morning. A very pleasant experience. The deal was even better than I expected after the closing sheet he sent me last week. Not only did he find the missing $100 of purchase protection, he found us another $1000 of rebate money for a total of $2000 right off the top. Very much appreciated. The car was ready to go and perfect. Very techy and scared the bejeezus outta my wife. She got an orientation and headed for home with much anxiety and trepidation. As soon as she got home, she texted me, "Made it. This car drives like a dream! I love it!"

I haven't even been in it yet and haven't taken the time to study the operation but there's a lot to learn. She thinks she had it in EV Auto mode and was pleased to tell me I was right, it will go around 75 before the gas engine kicks in. Another Ford guy I sent her to last spring so she could test out the only 2022 gas Escape in the area told her the PHEV would only go 60 on electricity.

According to the FordPass app, the 31.3 mile ride was accomplished with 22.5 estimated electric miles and 116.9 estimated fuel economy. The part that bugs me is the app says the battery is flatass flat with 0% and 0 miles to empty. That doesn't sound really good but I haven't looked at the car displays to see what it has to say. I didn't bother goofing with the 120V slow charger but I should be finished installing the Level 2 charger tomorrow. Then I'll start figuring out what that part is all about.

Sorry, it was an ugly, gray day for taking pictures at the dealer and seeing the sparkles in the Star White Metallic Tri-Coat but here they are ;)

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

· Registered
22 Escape Titanium PHEV PP+Tow
176 Posts
I more look at the power meter (that replaced the tach) for when it's likely to kick on the gas engine. In auto mode, anything under 60KW tends to stay electric, which is pretty easy to stay under except for highway onramps or passing. I think I'm usually around 40KW maintaining 75mph. The electric motor is rated for 118HP, or 88KW. You'll only see that flooring it in EV now mode though.

The 0-100% in the app and dash is the useable range. At most I've seen 11KW total charge going from 0-100%. The battery is 14.4KW. 0% shown is roughly 15% charge, and 100% about 90% charge.

The 120V charger is fine for overnight charging, though I wish the cord was a bit longer. Seems more meant for charging a car IN a garage, rather than parked infront of one.

· Registered
130 Posts
We picked it up this morning. A very pleasant experience. The deal was even better than I expected after the closing sheet he sent me last week. Not only did he find the missing $100 of purchase protection, he found us another $1000 of rebate money for a total of $2000 right off the top. Very much appreciated. The car was ready to go and perfect. Very techy and scared the bejeezus outta my wife. She got an orientation and headed for home with much anxiety and trepidation. As soon as she got home, she texted me, "Made it. This car drives like a dream! I love it!"

I haven't even been in it yet and haven't taken the time to study the operation but there's a lot to learn. She thinks she had it in EV Auto mode and was pleased to tell me I was right, it will go around 75 before the gas engine kicks in. Another Ford guy I sent her to last spring so she could test out the only 2022 gas Escape in the area told her the PHEV would only go 60 on electricity.

According to the FordPass app, the 31.3 mile ride was accomplished with 22.5 estimated electric miles and 116.9 estimated fuel economy. The part that bugs me is the app says the battery is flatass flat with 0% and 0 miles to empty. That doesn't sound really good but I haven't looked at the car displays to see what it has to say. I didn't bother goofing with the 120V slow charger but I should be finished installing the Level 2 charger tomorrow. Then I'll start figuring out what that part is all about.

Sorry, it was an ugly, gray day for taking pictures at the dealer and seeing the sparkles in the Star White Metallic Tri-Coat but here they are ;)

View attachment 82461

View attachment 82462

View attachment 82463

View attachment 82464

One more to add to the list.

Got home about an hour ago from the dealer.

Ordered 4/1/22.
Safe and sound at home and charging comfortably: 11/20/22

Bought it on the X-plan.
$1,000 discount for placing an online order.
Shopped for extended warranties online (go to Zeigler's site for a quick quote). The dealer couldn't quite price match, but they were about $100 higher. Fine.
8 yr/100,000 mile extended warranty (matching the hybrid warranty)
Bought the maintenance package. 8/yr, 100,000 miles. Worry free now for 8 years. I'll hit the time before I hit the mileage.
0% financing for 36-months. I was intending to pay cash. Fine, my money market is paying 3%. That was an easy decision.
FordPass app all setup.

Titanium, plug-in. Pictures below.

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Tire Vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Spots on the pavement - not from my Escape.

· Registered
176 Posts
How do you find the ICE engine noise? Mine seemed noticeably louder than the '21 hybrid I test drove earlier in the year. The hybrid I struggled to hear. My PHEV is obvious at anything beyond warmed up and idle.

· Registered
130 Posts
How do you find the ICE engine noise? Mine seemed noticeably louder than the '21 hybrid I test drove earlier in the year. The hybrid I struggled to hear. My PHEV is obvious at anything beyond warmed up and idle.
So far, I've driven 2.6 miles from the dealership to home and it was in EV Now mode. I heard the ICE idling at the dealership and it seemed quiet.

Drove around a bit in Sport mode last night. The ICE seemed quiet at a stop light and had something to say when I stepped on it. I think I'm going to like the sound of that engine.

· Registered
36 Posts
The 0-100% in the app and dash is the useable range. At most I've seen 11KW total charge going from 0-100%. The battery is 14.4KW. 0% shown is roughly 15% charge, and 100% about 90% charge.
I did the first home charge yesterday after I finished installation of the level two charger. For some reason, the charger took a break for a while and blamed it on a schedule in the car. Starting from 0% and 0 miles (per the car) the charger put in 5.83 and 6.11 kWh to finish off at what the car says is 100% and 26 miles. That seems like a low mile projection to me. This morning it calls it 98% full. I wonder if the newborn car needs some time to learn about life in the real world?

The FordPass said the dealer did two charges to 100% between delivery on Monday and pickup on Saturday. They used a 120V charger and called it a 10.5 hour charge time with the slow charger. When my wife left the dealer, the car had 88% remaining and she got 22.5 miles out of that. She said it showed 4 miles when she left and now it has 35.

Maybe I'll have time to go drive it around a while today.

· Registered
176 Posts
It does vary a lot. Sunday I charged to 90%, it said I had 20 miles range in 28F weather. Last night after charging to 94%, same temps, it said 26 miles.

I also just realized when you set the charge schedule in the app to 80%, it doesn't charge to 80, but adds 80. So if you already had 20%, it would charge to 100%. Seems like a bug.

I checked the charging log, and it shows the 90% charge, starting at 4%, ending at 94%.

· Registered
130 Posts
I did the first home charge yesterday after I finished installation of the level two charger. For some reason, the charger took a break for a while and blamed it on a schedule in the car. Starting from 0% and 0 miles (per the car) the charger put in 5.83 and 6.11 kWh to finish off at what the car says is 100% and 26 miles. That seems like a low mile projection to me. This morning it calls it 98% full. I wonder if the newborn car needs some time to learn about life in the real world?

The FordPass said the dealer did two charges to 100% between delivery on Monday and pickup on Saturday. They used a 120V charger and called it a 10.5 hour charge time with the slow charger. When my wife left the dealer, the car had 88% remaining and she got 22.5 miles out of that. She said it showed 4 miles when she left and now it has 35.

Maybe I'll have time to go drive it around a while today.

In case someone needs/wants it and doesn't already have it, here is a link to a searchable 2022 Ford Escape Owner's Manual... all 582 pages of it.

Here's an alternate searchable version of the 2022 Ford Escape Owner's Manual :

· Registered
8 Posts
In case someone needs/wants it and doesn't already have it, here is a link to a searchable 2022 Ford Escape Owner's Manual... all 582 pages of it.

Here's an alternate searchable version of the 2022 Ford Escape Owner's Manual :

Thank you for the links. We didn't get much of a technology review at the dealership and I probably wouldn't have retained that much anyway as many things were new to me. I have been playing with the buttons and figuring things out but as many resources I can get is appreciated.

· Registered
130 Posts
Thank you for the links. We didn't get much of a technology review at the dealership and I probably wouldn't have retained that much anyway as many things were new to me. I have been playing with the buttons and figuring things out but as many resources I can get is appreciated.
FordFanAZ,

More documentation you may like, if you don't already have it.

The documentation link that is specific to your VIN can be reached two ways:

1) Ford Vehicle Order Tracking Home, enter your order number and VIN. Click on the blue button, "New Vehicle Guide" (left-side of page). I could only get the tracking site to work in Microsoft Edge.

2) Use the link:

Replace YOURVINHERE with your Escape's VIN. May be better to go in through the Order Tracking page above if you have trouble with this link.

You may find the organization of this page to be more like what you would expect for "Getting To Know Your Escape" info.

The FordPass app also has good documentation. Bottom of the app screen, click Service, then click Reference Guide.

Remotely locking, unlocking and starting my Escape via the FordPass app will be useful. Certainly was fun seeing it work the first time. Somewhere Henry is smiling.

Here's an easy way to start/stop your level-1 charging: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TXM4MT3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Downloading the Kasa app from the App Store is free, no subscription required. Setting up the Kasa app was easy and so was the Kasa outlet - the directions are clearly written.
On, off and setting up a schedule for charging via the app are all easy to do. The Kasa outlet plugs into the wall outlet and the level-1 charging cord plugs into the Kasa outlet.

Having an alternate way to easily turn on/off and schedule charging seemed reasonable.

· Registered
Waiting for a 2022 Escape Titanium Plug-In Hybrid since April 2022.
33 Posts
Your 2022 Escape Titanium Plug-In Hybrid Order. - THE ESTIMATED ARRIVAL DATE OF YOUR VEHICLE HAS BEEN UPDATED.

Dear dreamer,
To ensure your complete satisfaction, we will require additional time before your 2022 Escape Titanium Plug-In Hybrid is delivered to your Central Florida Ford Dealer. Your vehicle’s previous estimated delivery range of November 17, 2022, and November 23, 2022, has been updated to between November 30, 2022, and December 6, 2022. 😒:oops::cry:

· Registered
130 Posts
Your 2022 Escape Titanium Plug-In Hybrid Order. - THE ESTIMATED ARRIVAL DATE OF YOUR VEHICLE HAS BEEN UPDATED.

Dear dreamer,
To ensure your complete satisfaction, we will require additional time before your 2022 Escape Titanium Plug-In Hybrid is delivered to your Central Florida Ford Dealer. Your vehicle’s previous estimated delivery range of November 17, 2022, and November 23, 2022, has been updated to between November 30, 2022, and December 6, 2022. 😒:oops::cry:
"Dear dreamer" - Frank, you get style points for that. Exactly the way I felt those emails should have been addressed.
Lets hope this is the last revision to the delivery date. Ford does seem to be delivering Titanium PHEVs.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your Titanium.

· Registered
28 Posts
I did not have to order one. I called a local Ford dealer last week and they had one just received. The 2022 SEL PHEV was ready for the test drive next day. I stopped by the dealer to test drive and really liked the car. But the trade-in offer was too low. I told the sales guy that I could not accept the offer. I counter offered, then they upped the trade-in offer enough to make the deal economical.

It was my biggest Black Friday purchase ever. I am now a new owner of Escape PHEV. Much larger cargo, longer EV range, and a real spare tire! Will see how good it serves our needs.

· Registered
130 Posts
I did not have to order one. I called a local Ford dealer last week and they had one just received. The 2022 SEL PHEV was ready for the test drive next day. I stopped by the dealer to test drive and really liked the car. But the trade-in offer was too low. I told the sales guy that I could not accept the offer. I counter offered, then they upped the trade-in offer enough to make the deal economical.

It was my biggest Black Friday purchase ever. I am now a new owner of Escape PHEV. Much larger cargo, longer EV range, and a real spare tire! Will see how good it serves our needs.

Subject: Claiming the federal tax credit in tax year 2022. I've been reading a few articles that mention "A buyer will need to make sure the dealer or manufacturer gives them a copy of the EV's letter of certification (an official document from the IRS).

Well, gosh, if the point of the document quest is to have an IRS certification that the 2022 Ford Escape Plug-In Hybrid is eligible for the federal tax credit, why not just use
information the IRS has posted.

(I really hope I'm not the last one to have figured this out).

The IRS published the EXACT information we need. No need to call Ford or your dealer. I'm pretty sure the IRS intended the following page to be utilized with a page title of:

"IRC 30D New Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit"

(Scroll down to Ford)

Here you go... info straight from the IRS. Doesn't get much more official at tax time than that.

Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue Number

For those wanting to dig deeper:

Instructions for Form 8936 (01/2022):

IRS Form 8936:

I plan to use Turbo Tax again and avoid the form and it's instructions.

· Registered
65 Posts
Subject: Claiming the federal tax credit in tax year 2022. I've been reading a few articles that mention "A buyer will need to make sure the dealer or manufacturer gives them a copy of the EV's letter of certification (an official document from the IRS).

Well, gosh, if the point of the document quest is to have an IRS certification that the 2022 Ford Escape Plug-In Hybrid is eligible for the federal tax credit, why not just use

The IRS published the EXACT information we need. No need to call Ford or your dealer. I'm pretty sure the IRS intended the following page to be utilized with a page title of:

(Scroll down to Ford)

Here you go... info straight from the IRS. Doesn't get much more official at tax time than that.

View attachment 82511

IRS Form 8936:

I’m pretty sure Form 8936 will be revised for 2022 tax year. Due to different circumstances around the 8/16/22 IRA law signing. Is it possible some 2022’s will qualify for the $6843 and others $7500 based on order/delivery dates in 2022?

· Registered
130 Posts
I’m pretty sure Form 8936 will be revised for 2022 tax year. Due to different circumstances around the 8/16/22 IRA law signing. Is it possible some 2022’s will qualify for the $6843 and others $7500 based on order/delivery dates in 2022?

Stevedbvik1,

I think you're right. Implementing regulations could potentially be published very near the April 15th filing deadline.

I wanted to verify that I could reference IRS documentation that a 2022 Ford Escape PHEV remains on the IRS list of "Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicles". Check the box on that one.

I'd be happy if the amount of our tax credit increased from $6843 to $7500. The implementing regulations (that will eventually be posted to the IRS portal) could authorize a $7500 tax credit for all 2022 PHEVs on the IRS "Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit" list.

A search of the Federal Register for "Qualified Plug-in Electric" doesn't yield any notices for implementing regulations issued after August 16, 2022. Thought I'd check.

· Registered
65 Posts
Stevedbvik1,

I think you're right. Implementing regulations could potentially be published very near the April 15th filing deadline.

I wanted to verify that I could reference IRS documentation that a 2022 Ford Escape PHEV remains on the IRS list of "Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicles". Check the box on that one.

I'd be happy if the amount of our tax credit increased from $6843 to $7500. The implementing regulations (that will eventually be posted to the IRS portal) could authorize a $7500 tax credit for all 2022 PHEVs on the IRS "Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit" list.

A search of the Federal Register for "Qualified Plug-in Electric" doesn't yield any notices for implementing regulations issued after August 16, 2022. Thought I'd check.
Lot’s of variables still. Especially for us who have a 2023 on order. Will be interesting to how it all shakes out by 12/31/22.

· Registered
27 Posts

(Scroll down to Ford)

View attachment 82511

IRS Form 8936:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I conclude that obtaining "the IRS letter acknowledging the certification of the vehicle" is for the buyer to know for sure they can take the credit. That way they don't take the credit and then find out they are not eligible for it because they relied on bad (source) information. Also, maybe that is more official/legal than the IRS webpage you site ("IRC 30D..."). For example, if there is an error on the website, maybe the certificate or lack thereof holds more weight and would be the deciding factor in tax court? Maybe the webpage "IRC 30D..." is not considered the official "publication" by the IRS?

If not for the buyer's assurance, why would the buyer need to see it or obtain it? If it was needed as proof in case you get audited by the IRS, why couldn't the IRS get the document from their own files/agency? Unless there is some legal technicality that requires the taxpayer to have it before being audited...or something like that. I doubt that is the case.

Therefore, I take the articles to mean: "Verify your vehicle qualifies for the tax credit. Obtaining the IRS letter acknowledging the (manufacturer's) certification is the best way to do this." (...even though it might not be the easiest way.)

321 - 340 of 355 Posts