2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ford Escape SEL PHEV
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to have a Level 2 Charger 220/240V installed in my garage. I'd like to have an outlet installed so I could use one of the portable plug in versions. I talked with a local electrician and he's telling me that it's recommended to have a hard wired charger installed and that right now their hard to find one available??? Is this true or is that hogwash. Has anyone else had a Level 2 charger installed.

·
Registered
Escape PHEV
47 Posts
I have a hard wired l2 charger and yes it’s recommended if you install it outside.
cheaper to install, direct connection to your fuse box and harder to steal.

but yours would be inside, so it doesn’t matter really.

my local electrician told me using a l2 charger with a dryer plug is more expensive to install. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2 Posts
We just had a level 2 charger installed in our garage. I bought the Grizzle-E Classic on Amazon.com. You can purchase it with a choice of plugs; we got the 14 50 plug, which is the one that you'd use for an electric clothes dryer as well. Our contractor charged us $600 for materials to run a new 50 amp circuit; most of that cost was for the wire that had to be routed from the complete far end of the house and up a floor. He ran it along the outside of the house in conduit under our deck and then up the garage wall into the garage where he installed the outlet. Then he mounted the Grizzle-E near the outlet. Perfect! I think he charged us about $800 for the labor.
It works great, and has a 24 foot long cable!

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE I3 & 2020 Titanium Hybrid
266 Posts
Get a 6-20R installed, this is 20 amps @ 240v, pretty sure that's the fastest a phev can charge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get a 6-20R installed, this is 20 amps @ 240v, pretty sure that's the fastest a phev can charge.
This is a good point, assuming you plan to stick with a PHEV. In our household, we added the 14-50R (which I now know is a bit beefier than a clothes dryer - more like and electric range) because my husband drives an all electric car, and we couldn't both plug into 110 outlets in our garage at the same time. Now I use the 110 outlet and can always recharge overnight, and so can my husband using our level 2 charger.
Next project might be adding solar to our roof!

·
Registered
36 Posts
We have a 2021 Escape Titanium PHEV and I already had a 240 Volt outlet in my garage for my Welder. My LEVEL 2 setup includes a 10-30P. It is perfect for the 16-20 AMP needs of this PHEV. If I purchased a Full Electric Plugin Vehicle I might consider a 14-50P as I have the circuit breaker and wiring to support the increased load of a Full Electric Vehicle.
Love the ESCAPE PHEV by the way.

Gary

·
Registered
2022 Ford Escape SEL PHEV
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We just had a level 2 charger installed in our garage. I bought the Grizzle-E Classic on Amazon.com. You can purchase it with a choice of plugs; we got the 14 50 plug, which is the one that you'd use for an electric clothes dryer as well. Our contractor charged us $600 for materials to run a new 50 amp circuit; most of that cost was for the wire that had to be routed from the complete far end of the house and up a floor. He ran it along the outside of the house in conduit under our deck and then up the garage wall into the garage where he installed the outlet. Then he mounted the Grizzle-E near the outlet. Perfect! I think he charged us about $800 for the labor.
It works great, and has a 24 foot long cable!
I just got an estimate from my electrician for $275 for hardwired and mounting of my charger which will be mounted next to my circuit breaker box. I finally went with the ChargePoint charger. I did consider the Grizzle-E. He didn't have to run a wire to do this.

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV - Anti-Matter Blue
59 Posts
Had a Nema 14-50 outlet installed in our garage with a 50amp breaker (close to the garage door). Got a Chargepoint Flex. The Electrician asked me if I wanted it hardwired but I said no. (in case I move and want to take it etc). The CP is set to 40A (max with a 50 A breaker). Its way over kill for the Escape, but I may get a Mach E next year.

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
36 Posts
That seems counter intuitive to me that it's the Higher amperage you can have plug in, but not the lower ones. Only thing I can think of is the larger current plugs are more trustworthy?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts