2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's car was 12 years old and starting to get a lot of miles. Sooo, I started looking for a new car. We built a new house (a forever house for our retirement years) and had a 50 amp circuit installed in the garage with a Chargepoint (working great). Criteria for a new car: plugin hybrid, had to be supported by local dealers (we are in a smaller city), towable 4 wheels down (eliminated most of the hybrids). About the only thing that qualified was a Ford Escape, front wheel drive. So, for my wife's birthday the end of Feb. 2022 we got our new Ford Escape, Titantum package. It was ordered the end of Oct. 2021 and we got a $6800 break on taxes. So, far 4000 miles (a couple of long trips) and the only issue with have had is the rear hatch door a couple of times has only opened half way. And once it closed for no apparent reason. Dealer recommended having it adjusted but have not gotten to it yet, i.e. doesn't happen very often. Fit and finish and on ours it great, I have seen no issues. Since, we are retired and live in a smaller city (around 60K) we are on electric almost all the time so hardly ever use any gas. On the two long trips the MPG was around 45-50. So, all in all this has been a really great purchase for us. BTW, no heads up display. Sounded kind of useless to me and I'm a retired engineer that loves techie gadgets.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Welcome! I have a '22 Titanium on order. Similar situation: replace vehicle we have had since 2011. Really like the 4G Escape. We have a 2G and 3G.

Why towable 4 wheels down? Behind motor home?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have a small motorhome and towed a Honda CRV which will keep for a while. The MH uses a ton of gas but we boondock at lot, so no expenses once we get to a spot so that makes up for the gas cost. When we can't use the CRV any longer the Escape gives us an option. A lot of the newer vehicles can't be towed flat any more because of transmission changes. AWD of course is better for winter but I have a 4WD truck for those cases so a FWD works fine for us and being retired we can just stay home if it is that bad, :).

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE hybrid with premium package 2.0
26 Posts
Regarding the power liftgate, this is from the manual:

The liftgate only operates with the transmission in park (P). If there is a problem with the open or close request, a tone sounds for one of the following reasons: • The ignition is on and the transmission is not in park (P). • The battery voltage is below the minimum operating voltage. • The liftgate is not fully closed and your vehicle speed is at or above 3 mph (5 km/h). If the liftgate starts to close after it has fully opened, this indicates there may be excessive weight on the liftgate or a possible strut failure. A repetitive tone sounds and the liftgate closes under control. If the liftgate continues to close after opening, have the system checked by an authorized dealer. Remove any excessive weight from the liftgate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
Here is the state the car was in. It was fully charged and drove 5 mi to the store. Came back out, waved our foot under the back door to put the groceries in and it only opened half way. Pushed the button to open the rest of the way. The dealer said they have had this happen on other Escapes (very few and very seldom occurring) and probably just needs 'an adjustment'. So far, the only issue we had. My wife loves her new car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ours works well for the wife as she is aroung\d. 5 ft 1.I'm 5'10.I have found with ours that I have to step back quickly after the foot wave for the lift gate to fully open.My guess is that it senses me as an obstruction and will not fully open

1 - 7 of 7 Posts