2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Escape SEL Hybrid AWD Rapid Red; 2017 Escape SE 2.0L AWD
36 Posts
We were originally in the market for a hybrid Maverick XLT. With 8 months of no updates from Ford, decided to look for something else. With rising gas prices and super short (1.5) mile commute each way to work on most days, we decided to look for a hybrid. We have a Honda Hybrid and love it. With our rural location, we opted to go with Ford as this might be better for service and such. Add to that; Hondas and Toyotas have limited availability and premiums that go with.

Off all the trims the SEL and its features made the most sense to us. We opted for the Hybrid with pretty much all the creature comforts (sunroof, co-pilot, package) - after all my first Ford and first new car.

Scouted around and Granger Motors in IA was doing 3% below invoice (plus any incentives) on the Escapes. Ordered one in Ice Blue Silver and sandstone interior on March 14.

Got email today that production has been scheduled for week of May 2. A VIN has been assigned.

Now we wait.
Also have an SEL Hybrid Scheduled for the week of May 2nd. Order was placed February 7th so was starting to get worried. I agree that SEL package offers the best value. Better seats for long distance drives. The external securi-code keypad on the drivers door. I use that often. Heated Steering wheel for upstate NY winters. The Technology package offers a lot of value for $1K with a better sound system by B&O [my 2012 Sony system is quite nice and always the car to take when heading to a concert], the wireless phone charging and the 12.3 inch digital screen. Also memory seats and foot activated rear lift gate.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Same slip in the build date for me. Question: did you order the Ford Co-Pilot 360 Assist+ option 68B with the Stop and Go Cruise Control and Naviagation System? I did and I wonder if this option takes a lot of chips or sensors that might be in short supply. Have any 1.5L or 2.0L customers had their dates slip also?

·
Registered
36 Posts
To Answer my own question if 2.0L customers have had a slip. Yes they have. PaulOinMA states that he placed an order on March 19 for a 2.0L Titanium and on March 24th received a VIN and an April 18 build week. On April 13th it was moved back one week to week of April 25th. The Co-Pilot 360 with stop and go cruise is standard equipment on a Titanium. So, yes there was a one week delay, but it only takes 3-4 weeks to get built for a 2.0L but I am looking at 6 weeks to get scheduled for a build date and 8 weeks after the schedule issued to get built.

·
Registered
36 Posts
More bad news last night. May 16th build date for SEL AWD Hybrid has slipped again to June 6th. February 7th order date is now at 17 weeks to build. Strong possibility of more delays due to shortage of truck drivers for delivery from railhead to dealership according to Maverick community.

·
Registered
36 Posts
More bad news again last night. The scheduled May 2nd build date is now June 13th (+6 weeks). February 7th order date is now at 18 weeks to build.

·
Registered
36 Posts
On Saturday I compared my February SEL Hybrid order to the current list price and broke down the price increases. 1) It is not a surprise that Hybrid powertrains are in short supply, especially when they share the powertrain with the sold out Maverick. The base price with AWD increased by $1,325. Also worth mentioning, Ford offers $1500 rebate to order your vehicle (except Escape HYBRID!). So, they are raising prices to discourage Escape hybrid orders and nudge the consumer to choose 1.5L or 2.0L. 2) Diesel fuel and truck drivers: the delivery fee increased by $250. Newspapers run stories about record high price of diesel and incentives to get enough drivers to deliver the vehicles to dealers. 3) Chip intensive options. Co-Pilot 360 Plus with Stop and Go cruise increased $200. The front sensors probably have a lot of chips. The technology package increased $200. Perhaps memory seats and 12 inch instrument panel need a lot of chips. 4) Red paint increased $100. I know the 2012 Japan Tsunami increased red paint prices because of a special chemical to make the red paint. Perhaps it is tough to get the paint chemical from Asia? No increase on things made of steel like the tow hitch.

I intend to ask the dealer about price protection.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, true, Louisville Assembly Plant was shutdown the week of May 9th, but 2.0L Escapes can be ordered and built within about 4 to 6 weeks, while Hybrid Escapes are running 14-18 weeks. It must be something about the Escape Hybrid powertrain in my opinion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
More bad news again last night. The scheduled May 2nd build date is now June 27th (+8 weeks). February 7th order date is now at 20 weeks to build.

·
Registered
36 Posts
New information from BlueOval as of June 13th..
  • Due to the global semiconductor shortage, customers taking delivery of some Escape, Explorer and Expedition vehicles including Hands-Free Power Liftgate must be informed that these vehicles are not equipped with the Hands-Free Power Liftgate, which provides the capability to open and close the power liftgate using a foot-activated sensor as the feature is not available. Note: The Power Liftgate remains equipped on these vehicles.
  • Hands-Free Power Liftgate feature is being deleted from applicable Escape, Explorer and Expedition vehicles. The Power Liftgate remains equipped on these vehicles.
  • A $55 MSRP credit will be applied to any vehicles that have had this feature removed.

My interpretation is that the sensor to activate the handsfree is a major supply problem and they are giving up on it.
My order included the SEL Technology package 86D (with hands free, foot activated rear hatch and the tow hitch. So perhaps that will break the cycle of delays.

·
Registered
36 Posts
More bad news last night. Original Feb 7th order Escape SEL Hybrid AWD date is now at 24 weeks to build. Original build date of May 2nd has now slipped to July 25th (+12 weeks of slip). This especially stings because the delay occurred during the proposed build week. Will now miss all of the summer driving trips which was a big motivation to place the order. There was a foot of snow on the ground when I placed the order, it may well be the leaves will be falling off the trees by the time it shows up. As JSUS said this is getting to be a running joke around the house. The adult children are starting to chime in. I have ordered Fords before in 2008,2011, 2014 and 2017. Typical delivery time was order end of March and drive off the lot in May. Time to write to Mr. Farley about the very bad reputation his plan to "order your vehicle" is getting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks to JLTorres for another data point. SEKSYEscapist and I have ordered SEL Hybrid AWD and it is taking 24 weeks to build (and climbing). You ordered a SEL Hybrid FWD in March and it took 12 weeks to build. You could add 3 weeks to that because they put it back into production. So, perhaps AWD is a commodity that is in short supply. Only other variable is if your dealer gave your order priority. SEK and I are both retail order priority 19, the lowest on a number scheme of 10 to 19. Do you know if your order priority was a 10 or 11 or 12?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Now that the JLTorres vehicle has been built, I think the priority number is no longer available. It was my mistake to ask about it.

I agree with SEK that there are more constraints than just AWD. I saw a news article on my iphone from Ford Authority that Co-Pilot 360+ (which is in my vehicle options) is in very short supply. If I can find it, I will add it to this post.

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Finally, some good news! SEL Hybrid has been built. 25 weeks from order to build. No email from Ford but the tracking website did work.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
36 Posts
Update. Ford email this morning says it shipped. Reasonable, that any backlog/ backup of shipments was worked off during the two week plant shutdown. Also, the window sticker shows a $55.00 credit for deletion of hands free lift gate feature.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts