2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Ah didn't see this was already posted.

Changes outside aren't mind-blowing, actually thought front-end would be more aggressive. Hoping interior would be nicer

·
Registered
2021 Titanium Hybrid
68 Posts
A lot of the criticism of the original V4 design was based on it being out of step with US tastes. It is, and I think that's deliberate. I think Ford designed it for the European market first knowing it had the Bronco Sport for people who want a boxier American-style SUV. The Escape isn't really an SUV, it's a tall hatchback with a distinctively European style. By Euro-style I mean generally simple exterior with softer curves and visual cues that make a vehicle look smaller than it actually is. The overall look is more subtle with hints of muscularity rather than overt displays and faces that are typically "friendlier" - in keeping with a sense of civic harmony that's an important cultural value over there.

In this redesign, they're trying to make it a little "tougher" to compete with the RAV4, which use sharp angles and creases to create an aggressive look to belie the actual character of the vehicle. The RAV4 design works because it's carried through the entire body. The new Escape doesn't because it's just a blunter front end on the same body.

Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE hybrid with premium package 2.0
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now seeing both vehicles side by side, I like the current generation better. The new nose seems too short like its a car front end vs a CUV front end. Its not cohesive like the current model.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Could be an angle. I do like current gen front end as well except the grill shape with that silver outline. Wish we got Kuga version

Reactions: EricSFS

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think Ford designed it for the European market first knowing it had the Bronco Sport for people who want a boxier American-style SUV. The Escape isn't really an SUV, it's a tall hatchback with a distinctively European style. By Euro-style I mean generally simple exterior with softer curves and visual cues that make a vehicle look smaller than it actually is. The overall look is more subtle with hints of muscularity rather than overt displays and faces that are typically "friendlier" - in keeping with a sense of civic harmony that's an important cultural value over there.
I don't see that. Ford re-designed the Escape for the US market. There was an extensive US rollout underway when the pandemic started, and a major focus on getting the US launch right after a few misfires in prior Ford launches. Also, Rav4 and CX-5 front ends aside, the entire class of compact SUVs has this curved look in one way or another, if not the front end, then the sides and back end. None of these compact SUVs are like their boxy predecessors (Escape, Rav4, CR-V, Tucson, Compass, etc...). Many makes/models have been rounded down in the back end, probably in an effort to compete on mileage and less body roll in cornering. Even the Forrester doesn't look as tall as it was. It's not just the Escape. Also, the Bronco Sport is not just a boxy Escape even though they use the same chassis. The Bronco Sport is tuned for off-road driving, has less cargo space, and less interior refinement than the Escape. It's competition is the Jeep Wrangler. The market for each is completely different.

Reactions: db/sb

·
Registered
612 Posts
Not sure what's all the fuss with Bronco sport. Besides getting less features/cargo it also disproportionally-goofy-odd looking IMO. Also I don't see how is it a competition to Jeep Wrangler. It's still just an Escape in a different shell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In this redesign, they're trying to make it a little "tougher" to compete with the RAV4, which use sharp angles and creases to create an aggressive look to belie the actual character of the vehicle. The RAV4 design works because it's carried through the entire body. The new Escape doesn't because it's just a blunter front end on the same body.
I agree. The new design looks a bit disjointed. The coke-bottle curves on the 2020-2022 body had consistency front to back. I think the new design almost makes the front look like a minivan.

But it's not a drastic change. I wouldn't mind terribly if my 2022 order gets pushed to model 2023, especially if they upgrade the interior.

·
Registered
2021 Titanium Hybrid
68 Posts
Could be an angle. I do like current gen front end as well except the grill shape with that silver outline. Wish we got Kuga version

Now this is what the front end should look like. A nice evolution of the current design. Is this a render or is this the Euro version?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Now this is what the front end should look like. A nice evolution of the current design. Is this a render or is this the Euro version?
It's a real thing just not for US

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE I3 & 2020 Titanium Hybrid
280 Posts
I'm just gonna leave this right here...
Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm just gonna leave this right here...
View attachment 81652
And your point? It looks fine, better then outgoing for sure but still underpowered. If you you want to imply that it looks like current or refreshed Escape I don't see it. Except maybe upside down grill.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE I3 & 2020 Titanium Hybrid
280 Posts
The front end looks very much like a 2020 escape, or take this for instance, this Honda Pilot looks like an Explorer. There is a pattern.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yeah well I don't see anything "very much". Some elements maybe but overall it's more balanced frontend then current Escape and nothing like 2023.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts