2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

2nd Escape - New weird problem

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  N41EF 
#1 ·
Hi all! I just purchased my 2nd Ford Escape (this time an SE). I purchased a 2017 about a month ago. The WEIRDEST thing is happening and even the dealer has never heard of this one. When my car is UNLOCKED and has been sitting... If I open my Drivers side door from the outside, there is a definitive squeak (like a hamster wheel) from the back of the car. WTH? And, of course, it doesnt do it EVERY time, so I can't replicate it at the dealer. Plus, they have this habit of locking the cars when they aren't working on them...which I told them defeats the test. Anyway, my only thought is that something is engaging with the rear gate lock or mechanism that is squeaking. What else would be triggered in the car, while unlocked, when you open the driver's door from the outside??

#4 ·
This sounds not unlike the fuel pump pre-charge that some were talking about. Maybe his just sounds a bit different. Don't recall what that thread was called though.

But, the hole in that theory here is the door locked/unlocked thing.

#5 ·
Thanks johngriggs. I picked my car up from the dealer last night, and I had to get a little...vocal with the service department. Finally went up and go the Sales Manager, Finance Manager and my salesperson involved. I don't expect that service techs are psychic, but I do expect that they at least collaborate and think of what it COULD be. After the Sales Manager got pretty much everyone in the service dept involved, one of their ideas was the fuel charge precharge as well. So, I'm thinking that your reference to the post is just extra confirmation of what probably is. Thanks so much for responding.

#6 ·
Fuel priming was the first thing I thought of, too. I don't notice it on my FE. It was very noticeable on my previous vehicle.

Reactions: johngriggs
#7 ·
Mine is very noticeable as well on this Escape.

#8 ·
Crawl in the back, and have someone open and close the door, you should be able to see if it's the rear hatch or fuel pump. Computer controlled cars make all kinds of weird clicks and noises when you get in, get out and . My Land Rover vented the rear suspension behind the tail lights, sounded like someone was trying to get your attention when you got out of the back seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.