2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

181 - 200 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Do you read this entire thread? Found this around post #91. This is the fluid leveling plug for a 2015. I found out your plug is in a different location and different size than mine. The castings changed in 2015. From the 2015 workshop manual:

Standard transmission case (M10 plug). Torque : 71 lb.in (8 Nm)

Fuel economy transmission case (M20 plug). Torque : 26 lb.ft (35 Nm) FB249534-410E-4F5D-AF45-933716A9F73F.jpeg

·
Registered
244 Posts
What's a "standard transmission" vs. a "fuel economy transmission"?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Do you read this entire thread? Found this around post #91. This is the fluid leveling plug for a 2015. I found out your plug is in a different location and different size than mine. The castings changed in 2015. From the 2015 workshop manual:

Standard transmission case (M10 plug). Torque : 71 lb.in (8 Nm)

Fuel economy transmission case (M20 plug). Torque : 26 lb.ft (35 Nm) View attachment 74906
Mine is a '17' and this is where mine located.....to the right of the CV shaft..and slighter lower to it..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine is a '17' and this is where mine located.....to the right of the CV shaft..and slighter lower to it..
Thanks! I was looking for a hex plug and not a face plug, so I guess I could have missed that. I'll crawl back under there this week and check it out! Thanks again!!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
The location of my level check plug. It’s to the rear of the drivers side half shaft at the 4 o’clock position.

BB2F7FAB-A6C1-4540-AD2D-53987ECD9B5E.jpeg

·
Registered
8 Posts
You fill it from the top, from the engine compartment. The plug you are referring to on the side of the tranny is the plug to check the level of the fluid. So you are dealing with 3 holes :eek:, drain, fill and fluid level check. Hmmm, I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere.

I'm going to make a video of this sometime this spring.
Man, I wish someone would mention what size torx wrench that level-check face plug needs; I've looked at every site that has to do with the 6F35 and no one mentions it!! It's pretty large and I have to go buy one (I have ones that are too large and too small); I'd like to do that before I check the level.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Man, I wish someone would mention what size torx wrench that level-check face plug needs; I've looked at every site that has to do with the 6F35 and no one mentions it!! It's pretty large and I have to go buy one (I have ones that are too large and too small); I'd like to do that before I check the level.
Wish I could, but like I posted earlier you never know what Ford is going to install as far as plugs (fill, drain and level). Couple of examples. My 2017 fill and level plugs are completely different from my previous 2013. Best to check yours for proper fitment.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I've mentioned it lots of times for the '17'. Dont know if it's the same for other years.... It's a 10mm Allen wrench...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, sort of. But its not that simple. Your vehicle needs to be level. It needs to be running and up to operating temp, minimun fluid temp of 180 degrees. You need to shift through all the gears, then check the level.

The procedure has been posted over and over again. Some folks do not read the entire thread to get the correct info.
FYI I refilled the 6F35 transmission on my 2015 Escape 2.0 like this:
Drained out fluid first time: exactly 3.9 quarts came out and I put exactly that much Mercon LV back in.
Drove the car for a half hour.
Drained it a second time: exactly 3.85 quarts out this time and replaced that much again.
Drove the car for a week.
Drained it again: exactly 3.9 quarts again this time; replaced it.
This time, I drove the car for 20 minutes and then I pulled off the front driver-side tire and wheel to access the level-check plug, which requires a Torx #55 socket. Measured the exact clearance to ground before removing the tire and wheel and lowered the car to that level after I took the tire and wheel off. That leveled the car and gave me easy access to the level-check plug.
Started the car, took out the level-check plug; nothing came out so I added fluid until it ran out of the hole - about two ounces added. Put the plug back in, the tire and wheel back on, the skid plate back on and done!
Easy-peezy.
Bottom line: measure what you take out carefully and you'll be pretty darn close. Of course, I hear tell that Mercon LV expansion rate is pretty bizarre so checking by leveling the car and opening the level-check hole while the engine is running is a good idea. Make sure everything is good and hot. According to the charts, doing this procedure three times should change about 88 percent of your fluid. BTW, Amazon has the Mercon LV in case lots for a lot less money than AutoZone!

·
Registered
208 Posts
FYI I refilled the 6F35 transmission on my 2015 Escape 2.0 like this:
Drained out fluid first time: exactly 3.9 quarts came out and I put exactly that much Mercon LV back in.
Drove the car for a half hour.
Drained it a second time: exactly 3.85 quarts out this time and replaced that much again.
Drove the car for a week.
Drained it again: exactly 3.9 quarts again this time; replaced it.
This time, I drove the car for 20 minutes and then I pulled off the front driver-side tire and wheel to access the level-check plug, which requires a Torx #55 socket. Measured the exact clearance to ground before removing the tire and wheel and lowered the car to that level after I took the tire and wheel off. That leveled the car and gave me easy access to the level-check plug.
Started the car, took out the level-check plug; nothing came out so I added fluid until it ran out of the hole - about two ounces added. Put the plug back in, the tire and wheel back on, the skid plate back on and done!
Easy-peezy.
Bottom line: measure what you take out carefully and you'll be pretty darn close. Of course, I hear tell that Mercon LV expansion rate is pretty bizarre so checking by leveling the car and opening the level-check hole while the engine is running is a good idea. Make sure everything is good and hot. According to the charts, doing this procedure three times should change about 88 percent of your fluid. BTW, Amazon has the Mercon LV in case lots for a lot less money than AutoZone!
Thanks for the how-to...
Just wondering why you'd remove the tire first and then the wheel...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I used the Wal-Mart Gallon sized jugs of MaxLife ATF at 16.97/gallon. This form factor is conveniently sized for the job. I got an extra one to keep as the top off fluid container.

I completed my fourth drain and fill over the weekend. Fluid color has dramatically improved and is mostly clear now. I'll continue to 8 flushes to hit the 99% mark of new fluid.

A bit of helpful advice: I left the level check plug off while adding fluid until the level hole leaked--on level ground. Once it went to a slow almost non-existent drip then I knew my fluid was level with the hole. I used a pan under the hole to catch and measure the overflow. Was just over 4.15q to level hole. Trans is shifting much better now.
Btw, that very same jug is $28 at autozone.

·
Registered
109 Posts
No, not while filling. While CHECKING the level of the fluid is when the vehicle is supposed to be running.
HI, not sure what the “filling v. Checking” distinction is. IMO, the fill & check procedure is integrated so to say; you can’t have one w/o the other. Specific example would be, just had my engine replaced on sept 4th,,, got it back from dealer and did a super thorough inspection of EVERYTHING.. among other serv dept fails, I noticed my atf fluid was low (turns out 25 ozs to be exact) and how I corrected was by adding and checking, adding and checking, etc until I saw it coming out of the check hole. Note, this HAD to be done whilst the engine was running. So in my case, checking & filling weren’t independent, but rather, a “synchronized “ event of sorts with both being done with car running.
Ty for reply!

·
Registered
164 Posts
HI, not sure what the “filling v. Checking” distinction is. IMO, the fill & check procedure is integrated so to say; you can’t have one w/o the other. Specific example would be, just had my engine replaced on sept 4th,,, got it back from dealer and did a super thorough inspection of EVERYTHING.. among other serv dept fails, I noticed my atf fluid was low (turns out 25 ozs to be exact) and how I corrected was by adding and checking, adding and checking, etc until I saw it coming out of the check hole. Note, this HAD to be done whilst the engine was running. So in my case, checking & filling weren’t independent, but rather, a “synchronized “ event of sorts with both being done with car running.
Ty for reply!
I think @HayaiKuruma is trying to separate the initial fill and checking level because Mercon LV expands a lot from ambient temp to normal operating temp; you are supposed to do the initial fill, then take it for a drive to get the fluid to operating temp before checking the level and top off if necessary.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think @HayaiKuruma is trying to separate the initial fill and checking level because Mercon LV expands a lot from ambient temp to normal operating temp; you are supposed to do the initial fill, then take it for a drive to get the fluid to operating temp before checking the level and top off if necessary.
Well what I did was check my atf level AFTER a 15 min or so drive... trans was hot, easily around 200F... then, I pulled check plug, and nothing came out, so incrementally added until it dripped out check plug hole... which in the end was 25 ozs.
Ty for reply.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Ty for reply!
When you did this was the car level, not on ramps??..Makes a big difference in the proper leveling..I noticed that you can get more drained out when level than when on ramps..I do that when engine sits overnight...Then measure and refill....Now the first time I had the engine hot and level and the plug off to check for the dripping out the plug hole...

·
Registered
109 Posts
When you did this was the car level, not on ramps??..Makes a big difference in the proper leveling..I noticed that you can get more drained out when level than when on ramps..I do that when engine sits overnight...Then measure and refill....Now the first time I had the engine hot and level and the plug off to check for the dripping out the plug hole...
Yes, it was level lol

181 - 200 of 212 Posts