2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Titanium 2.0 FWD that had a trans rebuild at 50k miles. I have 80k currently and just had its first post-rebuild flush. I suppose i'm still jittery from having a rebuild done since i've never had a car need major work like that. What are some of the higher mileage cars y'all have and have you needed transmission work? If you've had it done did it ever act up again? The adaptive learning tables seem to always change the shift behavior noticeably (if I drive it for fuel economy one week vs mashing it the next) so it will occasionally feel like its going back to the same issues until it re-learns. I've found running premium did smooth it out nicely but I still worry about it being a time bomb. Any advice? I see 2020 Edges and 2020 CX5s at very good prices and wondering if I should bail if another failure is in the future before 150-200k. Otherwise I love the car and performance, it's paid off and I don't really want to go that route.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have a 2016 Titanium 2.0 FWD that had a trans rebuild at 50k miles. I have 80k currently and just had its first post-rebuild flush. I suppose i'm still jittery from having a rebuild done since i've never had a car need major work like that. What are some of the higher mileage cars y'all have and have you needed transmission work?
I had my 2013 FE 7 years (99,000 miles). No major transmission issues. I followed the owners manual maintenance schedule and never had the transmission fluid replaced (required at 150,000). The highest mileage car I’ve owned with an automatic transmission was a 2008 Mazda 3 150,000 miles (service required at 150,000 miles),,,,never
did the service just traded it in. In fact in 50+ years of car ownership I’ve never needed a transmission rebuild or replacement for any of my automatics. I had a couple of vehicles go over 200,000 miles but they both had manual transmissions.

I know my experience doesn’t help your jitters. In fact IMO the only cure for your jitters is to dump your FE and start anew. I also own a 2019 Mazda CX-5....and so far it’s been a great vehicle. But so has my 2020 FE. No jitters here!

Reactions: GAford

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
425 Posts
Most of the guys in the Fusion forum do a drain/fill every 24-36k miles (literally it's pull the drain plug, when it stops dripping put it back in and refill it (books says 4.25qt) and check the fluid level. This is not a flush.

The 6F35 is shared with GM both manufacturers have slightly different issues, so there is a zip kit to fix many of the problems without a rebuild.
The most common I've heard of is wear in the separator plate (which can be replaced without pulling the transmission) caused by the steel balls wearing out the holes in the plastic plate. The aftermarket replacement uses weighted plastic balls to reduce the wear.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
I ran my Escape to nearly 150,000 miles and had no issues. The issues with that transmission has been ongoing for a while so when your dealer fixed it I'm sure Ford looked into it and improved it. I know that Ford sucks when it first comes out with things but as years go by and problems are solved the reliability actually isn't that bad. I hope that is what happens to your fixed transmission. I have a feeling you'll be okay.

Reactions: GAford

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks y’all for your responses. Good to know there’s high milers out there who have been happy. Mine seems to have heard the post, it seems to shift smoother than before and even the torque converter lockup seems to be smoother.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I notice a 2
I had my 2013 FE 7 years (99,000 miles). No major transmission issues. I followed the owners manual maintenance schedule and never had the transmission fluid replaced (required at 150,000). The highest mileage car I’ve owned with an automatic transmission was a 2008 Mazda 3 150,000 miles (service required at 150,000 miles),,,,never
did the service just traded it in. In fact in 50+ years of car ownership I’ve never needed a transmission rebuild or replacement for any of my automatics. I had a couple of vehicles go over 200,000 miles but they both had manual transmissions.

I know my experience doesn’t help your jitters. In fact IMO the only cure for your jitters is to dump your FE and start anew. I also own a 2019 Mazda CX-5....and so far it’s been a great vehicle. But so has my 2020 FE. No jitters here!
i notice a 2020 hybrid in your signature. How do you like it vs the CX5? Not looking to replace anymore but when I do those will probably be top contenders

·
Registered
31 Posts
Our first 2013 2.0 went to 90,000 when we traded. My daughters 2013 2.0 just had a dealer power flush at 100,000 and no problems before or after. My wifes 2017 2.0 has 46,000 and no issues. My 2017 2.0 has 84,000 and no issues. I will be having power flush done at the dealer at 100,000.

·
Registered
515 Posts
i notice a 2020 hybrid in your signature. How do you like it vs the CX5? Not looking to replace anymore but when I do those will probably be top contenders
We replaced our 2013 FE with the 2019 Mazda CX-5. We bought the grand touring model (no turbo). We test drove the Mazda, Honda CRV and Toyota RAV 4. I did not want a turbo (didn’t really need the extra hp) and the 2.5L engine in the Mazda (Grand Touring) is proven technology. IIRC the Mazda is about 185 hp and that’s more than adequate for our needs. IMO the Mazda was superior to the Honda or Toyota.

We replaced our 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid with the 2020 FE Hybrid. No problems with the Fusion in 3 years of ownership but we wanted 2 SUVs (at our age easier to get in and out of). Also test drove the Toyota RAV 4 Hybrid. We thought the FE was far superior in the ride, handling and a much quieter vehicle. We rented a RAV 4 on a trip to Yellowstone for a couple of weeks and we weren’t overly impressed.

We’re very happy with both vehicles. I’d highly recommend either one. Probably better if you just PM me for any specific questions.

Reactions: ajef7885

·
Registered
411 Posts
My 2015 started acting up at about 110K. It was serviced every 30K-drain and fill. 3-4 long shift delays, 6-5, 5-4 downshift clunk and recently harsh downshifts at normal speed. Took it to dealer. His response was-'do you know where Carmax is at?'. Cost of new transmission totals the car. I am going to sell it to a mechanic who knows the problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts