2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first post here.

When checking my coolant reservoir on my 2018 Escape 1.5 I noticed the coolant was low, when I released the pressure cap the reservoir filled almost back to the correct level. What could be causing this to happen? I'm taking my Escape in this Friday for a recall, I did ask the person who writes up service orders but they didn't have an answer for me. Any ideas.

Thanks,
Al

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Hello everyone, first post here.

When checking my coolant reservoir on my 2018 Escape 1.5 I noticed the coolant was low, when I released the pressure cap the reservoir filled almost back to the correct level. What could be causing this to happen? I'm taking my Escape in this Friday for a recall, I did ask the person who writes up service orders but they didn't have an answer for me. Any ideas.

Thanks,
Al
System was under pressure with cap on. When you removed cap you released pressure. That resulted in an increase in volume which you observed. The equation in case you are interested is: PV=nRT.

Reactions: Tall Timbers

·
Super Moderator
2,344 Posts
Check the level when the engine is cold. If the level is low (and it does the same thing) you may have something abnormal going on?

Reactions: Rocko1 and ralph7up

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
murcod, I just checked coolant level (engine was cold), cooland was down 1/4" from yesterday.....released coolant cap and level returned to normal. Over time the coolant will keep dropping, first time I noticed this the reservoir about an 1" from the bottom......as I said earlier it returned to almost the correct level once I released the pressure cap.

·
Super Moderator
2,344 Posts
Makes me wonder if you've got a coolant leak into a cylinder? Or perhaps it just had some residual pressure in the system. You'd need someone with the same engine to compare what happens when they open the cap.

I've topped mine up once, only because it was low from the factory. I didn't have the level change when I opened the cap and it hasn't dropped again. But that's a 2016 single scroll 2.0l EcoBoost.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I keep my coolant at the minimum level, today it was a 1/4" below that level.....release pressure and it returned to the minimum level. I can't see it losing coolant into the cylinder, but anything is possible.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I noticed something that might or might not mean anything, after starting the engine I noticed some small air bubbles going through what I think is a coolant return line.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Perhaps the pressure is expanding the hoses so when you release the pressure cap the level returns. Try mercod's idea - see if the cold level is lower over time which out releasing the pressure cap.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Trend 2L, Ruby red,Technology pack, SatNav, dashcam etc.
905 Posts
I noticed something that might or might not mean anything, after starting the engine I noticed some small air bubbles going through what I think is a coolant return line.
That is normal and was discussed at length on another forum. Briefly it could be coolant returning to the tank from the transmission heater reservoir.

Edit: However, scrolling back on this thread, it seems strange that the level of the coolant increases when you remove the cap when cold, and, as Murcod indicated, there could be a leak somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
2,344 Posts
IMHO there shouldn't be bubbles returning. Normally (in vehicles with a non pressurised overflow bottle) that can be a sign of a head gasket issue, coolant leak or low coolant level. It means somehow air is getting into the pressurised area of your cooling system. With the reservoir also being pressurised, the coolant level could be too low in the reservoir (resulting in air getting drawn into the system where it shouldn't be) or there's a leak somewhere.

Perhaps check for bubbles returning to the reservoir straight after driving it hard.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From the beginning I thought it was either a head gasket or the reservoir pressure cap, but with the odd return to normal level it was unlikely a head gasket problem. Even though my Escape is under warranty I bought a new pressure cap from the local Ford dealer, I wouldn't bet a lot but I think this is going to correct my odd problem. My Escape goes in Friday for recall 19B37, I believe this recall will reprogram the fans to stay on longer.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Also, it is important to do regular level checks always when the engine is cold. Otherwise PV=nRT will get you every time.

Reactions: wiz043

·
Registered
905 Posts
Also, it is important to do regular level checks always when the engine is cold. Otherwise PV=nRT will get you every time.
Yep....beware of that PV=nRT... :p

For what it's worth @Dark Age 53 I removed the cap on mine when cold and the coolant level did not move....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well unfortunately it's not the cap, down 1/4" since yesterday......I'll see how much more it drops when I take it to the dealer this Friday for the recall.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Just as a side issue...do others here find that their reservoir cap becomes very tight for the last few turns when replacing it? I presume that is normal to make a better seal due to the the pressurised system?
Initially I thought that I cross threaded it... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Just as a side issue...do others here find that their reservoir cap becomes very tight for the last few turns when replacing it? I presume that is normal to make a better seal due to the the pressurised system?
Initially I thought that I cross threaded it... :rolleyes:
Yes, there is a click, when it is fully seated on closing it. Also, it is very hard to turn at the last turn, when unscrewing it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RushMan I can't say for different model years but my 2018 Escape has no click when it's tight, I have had different vehicles that do click once the cap is tight but this one.

·
Registered
905 Posts
RushMan I can't say for different model years but my 2018 Escape has no click when it's tight, I have had different vehicles that do click once the cap is tight but this one.
Mine doesn't click either. I just tighten it as far as it will go...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mine does click, as does the cap on my wife's Fiesta.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts