2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Mods, the forum told me to create a new thread. So I am.)

I've been on these forums since 2016 so I know there are tons of threads on this topic that have been merged and etc. over the years. I have read them all.
In Aug 2019, I bought a battery at the dealership with 3-year free replacement. This week it was dead. I removed it myself, got a ride to the dealer, they swapped me a new one, I took it home, put it in, tightened the cables, started it and immediately went back to the dealer for BCM reset which I "knew" was a Forscan process for the dealer to do. They put my cowl back on and etc. too at no cost but I imagine it got billed back to Ford on the battery warranty.
Then I looked online and there are many videos showing the DIY procedure to reset the BCM. Which in all my years on these forums, I have NEVER SEEN. So I won't include it here, although it is trivially simple, in case it isn't what it's claimed to be. But it doesn't involve Forscan at all. For fun, I did it and it went just like the videos show.
So what's the deal?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Copying in a comment from one of the other threads by "centex". I hope the dealer did the BMS reset but I don't know. And maybe the procedure in the videos just forced a "state of charge calibration" before the 4-6 hour sleep period. But I really am talking out my *** here. I really don't know.

"Battery State of Charge calibration" is NOT the same as "Battery Monitoring System RESET".

The procedure you describe allows the "Battery State of Charge" to be calibrated and occurs every time your vehicle is allowed to 'sleep' for a period of 4-6 hours absent any external load exceeding 200mA. That is only one part of the data/calibration in the Escape charging system scheme.

That is NOT the same as "resetting the Battery Monitoring System", a distinctly different procedure which "... will clear the learned battery data, the battery time in service, and will affect the aging algorithm parameters, which have been learned since the installation of the battery" (per the Escape Workshop Manual). The ONLY way to reset that Battery Monitoring System data is via active manual reset using an appropriate tool and software specific for that purpose, a procedure which is to be done ONLY when the battery is replaced with a new battery.

The Battery Monitoring System data described in the previous paragraph is stored in non-volatile memory intentionally so it will not be lost during any 'sleep' period of vehicle inactivity or period of battery disconnection / temporary removal. By design that data remains 'with the car' no matter what .... it must be reset manually when the battery is replaced.

Both of these distinctly different procedures and data sets are described in explicit detail in the Escape Workshop Manual Section 414-00 Charging System - System Operation and Component Description.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The video methods you refer to are supposed to reset the BMS. There are 2 methods for different models which involve brake pedal depress, flashing headlights and also fog light and hazard light presses whilst touching the roof lining with your left hand and blinking your right eye etc.
Both methods are supposedly successful by the battery indicator flashing 3 times but these methods do not work for everyone according to previous threads here and many just reset the BMS with Forscan.
The 'battery state of charge' you refer to is different as you indicate and is just allowing the new battery to recognize the technology and this will occur normally when you leave the car overnight.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Key to on, flick the high beam 5 times and press the brake pedal 3 times. With deep prayer and personal reflection. Battery blinks. Right.

but these methods do not work for everyone according to previous threads here and many just reset the BMS with Forscan.
Which I'm hoping the dealer did but I wasn't watching so who knows. OK then.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,236 Posts
(Mods, the forum told me to create a new thread. So I am.)

I've been on these forums since 2016 so I know there are tons of threads on this topic that have been merged and etc. over the years. I have read them all.
In Aug 2019, I bought a battery at the dealership with 3-year free replacement. This week it was dead. I removed it myself, got a ride to the dealer, they swapped me a new one, I took it home, put it in, tightened the cables, started it and immediately went back to the dealer for BCM reset which I "knew" was a Forscan process for the dealer to do. They put my cowl back on and etc. too at no cost but I imagine it got billed back to Ford on the battery warranty.
Then I looked online and there are many videos showing the DIY procedure to reset the BCM. Which in all my years on these forums, I have NEVER SEEN. So I won't include it here, although it is trivially simple, in case it isn't what it's claimed to be. But it doesn't involve Forscan at all. For fun, I did it and it went just like the videos show.
So what's the deal?
Is your thread discussing the BMS reset or the BCM reset. You mentioned both.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Key to on, flick the high beam 5 times and press the brake pedal 3 times. With deep prayer and personal reflection. Battery blinks. Right.
Yep....that is one method that works for some apparently. The other method for different year model Escapes involves pressing the rear fog light switch 5 times and then the hazard light 3 times and awaiting the blinking battery indication from memory.
The Forscan method reset is the most reliable way as you indicate in my view.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2016 Escape SE with new battery, new BMS/ground cable and its 2-pin connector changed. Neither the high beam nor the hazzard light method result in a blinking battery indicator on our model. I took it to a Brakes Plus to reset the BMS monitor. Unfortunately, our wipers are still not operating. Looks like the Ford dealer will have to diagnose and repair this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts