2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my abs and traction control warning lights are coming on. Its an on and off thing and sometimes my hill assist light comes on as well. It seemed to start after I took off my winter tires. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,340 Posts
I'm with pilotattitude on a dealer visit for this one (all the functions you mention are managed by the ABS system).

BUT since you also mention that it seems to have started concurrent with a wheel change .... you might check the Speed Sensor electrical connection on the back of each wheel hub (behind the brake disks) to ensure all are firmly connected and free of foreign material. IMHO not likely but maybe one of those was knocked loose for some odd reason during the wheel change.

Reactions: pilotattitude

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
I'm with pilotattitude on a dealer visit for this one (all the functions you mention are managed by the ABS system).

BUT since you also mention that it seems to have started concurrent with a wheel change .... you might check the Speed Sensor electrical connection on the back of each wheel hub (behind the brake disks) to ensure all are firmly connected and free of foreign material. IMHO not likely but maybe one of those was knocked loose for some odd reason during the wheel change.
:agree:
@secondtimeescapeowner

Just want to also add, that it can be really just one problem, if your ABS light is on, it will most likely set your traction light. I think it may work that way vice versa as well.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Recently my abs and traction control warning lights are coming on...
That sounds like a dealer gotta look at issue, perhaps a reflash of the system.
I'm with pilotattitude on a dealer visit for this one (all the functions you mention are managed by the ABS system)...
Welcome to the community, secondtimeescapeowner! :)

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Let me look into this further. Which model year is your Escape, and what’s the mileage?

I agree with your fellow forum members, and I also recommend taking your vehicle to the dealer to get diagnosed.

I had the same issue and it was the recall for the restraint control module.
Hello woodstkr,

I’m just touching base with you. How are things going since the recall?

Tricia

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have this same issue in my 2013 Ford Escape Titanium. It just started a week ago. :(

Reactions: Timothy

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I too have this same issue in my 2013 Ford Escape Titanium. It just started a week ago. /forum/images/smilies/tango_face_sad.png
Have you ever changed your battery?

Did you pull any codes?

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is my welcome to being a new forum post, but hope it will get seen here quicker and by the correct (or more correct) people on this thread.

New Forum Member here... sorry to say I stumbled across this page while looking up an issue with my 2013 Ford Escape. I purchased the SUV used with 70,000+ miles. I have been driving it as my daily driver for the past 1-2 years. Now it has 88,000+ miles and is having a rather strange issue(s). This issue started yesterday afternoon. First time I had seen this issue (again) in 7-9 months.

The ABS sensor light is on when I start the car, the traction light comes on almost right away as well (picture of outline of car with lines under it, next to ABS). I put the SUV into reverse and try to back up and it acts like the brakes are grabbing on the rear wheels. When I go to put it into drive it does the same and a bell dings with a warning that pops up. "Hill assist is not engaged at this time" or something along those lines. At times I can try to press down the gas pedal and it is like I am stuck and unable to get going any faster (not a very safe feeling if I need to move quickly). I have to then stop and put it into reverse and back up trying to stop quickly so the brakes engage quickly and then and only then it is able for me to then try and drive "normal".

Any suggestions??

·
Registered
287 Posts
This is my welcome to being a new forum post, but hope it will get seen here quicker and by the correct (or more correct) people on this thread.

New Forum Member here... sorry to say I stumbled across this page while looking up an issue with my 2013 Ford Escape. I purchased the SUV used with 70,000+ miles. I have been driving it as my daily driver for the past 1-2 years. Now it has 88,000+ miles and is having a rather strange issue(s). This issue started yesterday afternoon. First time I had seen this issue (again) in 7-9 months.

The ABS sensor light is on when I start the car, the traction light comes on almost right away as well (picture of outline of car with lines under it, next to ABS). I put the SUV into reverse and try to back up and it acts like the brakes are grabbing on the rear wheels. When I go to put it into drive it does the same and a bell dings with a warning that pops up. "Hill assist is not engaged at this time" or something along those lines. At times I can try to press down the gas pedal and it is like I am stuck and unable to get going any faster (not a very safe feeling if I need to move quickly). I have to then stop and put it into reverse and back up trying to stop quickly so the brakes engage quickly and then and only then it is able for me to then try and drive "normal".

Any suggestions??
It sounds like either the parking brake is not disengaging, you have a stuck caliper, or the ABS is trying to engage on you. Could be a problem with an ABS sensor or wiring too. You really need to read the codes or bring it to a shop that can diagnose it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a sensor replaced less then 12 months ago for this same exact problem. I do not use my emergency brake and have checked that it works and is not in use. These lights and issues come on when I am starting my car and last for 5 minutes or less and then go away. It is just frustrating to have this issue returning AGAIN when I thought I was rid of it before.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am thinking more and more it is an issue with this System Check warning:
"Hill start assist not available" this almost always comes before this System Check warning:
"4WD Temporarily disabled"

·
Registered
2 Posts
It sounds like either the parking brake is not disengaging, you have a stuck caliper, or the ABS is trying to engage on you. Could be a problem with an ABS sensor or wiring too. You really need to read the codes or bring it to a shop that can diagnose it.
Unfortunately, I am having this exact problem. Ford escaper 2015 4WD - same warning signals then wheels locking in a most unsafe situation

·
Registered
2 Posts
2015 4WD Escape. I am reading this thread, just had a scary moment of car knocking, stopping and restarting in traffic.
1. ABS and Skid sensor signs come up after starting engine. 2. Hill Assist Not Available. 3. Then 4WD Not available. Had this for a few days. Then today, all 3 signs again, knocking sound from the back wheels after starting car, then car literally seizes up when pulling into traffic, coming from the back wheels. I made it back miraculously into a parking lot. After it idled then a sign comes on 4WD available. Just tried to start it up again and the ABS light comes on, drove a little to see what would happen and knocking/locking back wheels starts right away. Dropping off to Ford Dealer service asap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you find out what the problem was? My 2013 Escape Titanium is doing the exact same things. It is pretty scary when you pull out into the road and don’t have any power. Ugh

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Did you find out what the problem was? My 2013 Escape Titanium is doing the exact same things. It is pretty scary when you pull out into the road and don’t have any power. Ugh
Do you have the original battery in the vehicle? Also, have you inspected all the battery cables that are under the cowl? I only ask because when the battery starts to go, the Escape starts turning off systems to save power. Also, reports of severe corrosion on the negative battery cable by many members results in very odd behavior from the vehicle. Unfortunately to inspect it properly you have to remove the cowl thats above the battery. But if the corrosion is severe enough you might use a flashlight and get a peak from the airbox.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome to the community, secondtimeescapeowner! :)

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Let me look into this further. Which model year is your Escape, and what’s the mileage?

I agree with your fellow forum members, and I also recommend taking your vehicle to the dealer to get diagnosed.

Hello woodstkr,

I’m just touching base with you. How are things going since the recall?

Tricia
Tricia you said you were looking into this, what did you find?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Tricia you said you were looking into this, what did you find?
Ford's service reps no longer monitor this forum, if I remember correctly.

Reactions: Vader101
1 - 20 of 48 Posts