2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 Ford escape doing this exact same thing. I just replaced all 4 sensors and the abs / traction control light is still on. Has anyone figured out what it could be?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our 2014 Escape has had the ABS and Traction control warning lights coming on, so last Wednesday we took it in and they replaced the sensors. Yesterday and today, they were on again, and this time with a warning that the 4WD was being disabled. Then I'd push the gas pedal and it wouldn't go, no acceleration. the engine didn't go off, it was just dead in the water. It finally started going again, but then the same thing happened 2 more times.

I think this is an known issue. Has anyone else had this problem? What was the solution? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,066 Posts
Our 2014 Escape has had the ABS and Traction control warning lights coming on, so last Wednesday we took it in and they replaced the sensors. Yesterday and today, they were on again, and this time with a warning that the 4WD was being disabled. Then I'd push the gas pedal and it wouldn't go, no acceleration. the engine didn't go off, it was just dead in the water. It finally started going again, but then the same thing happened 2 more times.

I think this is an known issue. Has anyone else had this problem? What was the solution? Thanks in advance.
I merged your thread with one of the existing threads on the same topic. There are more threads if you do a search.

·
Registered
502 Posts
How do the actual tone rings look on the axles? They are the gear looking things that sit directly under the sensor and create the signal the sensor sees. If they are cracked, corroded, or loose, they will cause problems with signal the sensor sees.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had this fixed on our 2014 escape se AWD. Had the same idiot lights and grabbing rear brakes then AWD would be turned off along with hill assist and traction control. It was a rear ABS wheel speed sensor. Dealer replaced and all is well again. Sad part was it happened 2 months out of warranty. $15 part and $265 labor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had this fixed on our 2014 escape se AWD. Had the same idiot lights and grabbing rear brakes then AWD would be turned off along with hill assist and traction control. It was a rear ABS wheel speed sensor. Dealer replaced and all is well again. Sad part was it happened 2 months out of warranty. $15 part and $265 labor.
Just curious but was this covered under your Extended Warranty? I have the same issue, the lights came on out of nowhere and have stayed on. The vehicle is currently being checked over by Ford Dealership and i was called and asked if i was in an accident, because the sensor is saying i was, I was not the car was purchased in May. I notified the dealer of the issue june 28th and they set me an appointment for 7/23. I am feeling extremely frustrated that they are telling me i have to submit a claim to the insurance company. Or pay for it myself. I did nothing wrong to cause this. Does anyone agree or have a similar situation?

·
Registered
502 Posts
The sensors are not hard to replace if that is indeed the issue. To be certain, have a shop scan it/diagnose it or buy a hand held scanner that can read ABS codes. It will tell you what error code is saved. A regular OBDII code scanner (cheap ones) don't have the ability to see/read anything but check engine codes so, expect to pay around $90 or more for one that will read ABS codes (and most likely SRS and or Transmission codes too).

On a scale of 1-5 for someone with some mechanical skill/knowledge and an air filter change or Oil change being a 1 or 2 respectively and replacing front brakes a 5. A sensor replacement would fall under a 1 or 2 if that is indeed the problem.

In other words, you could skip the labor charges and DIY.

If it were me, I'd go for the scanner and see what pops up. You can then use the scanner in the future on other cars and for other diagnostics. A professional diagnostic will probably cost just as much and it's a one use thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The sensors are not hard to replace if that is indeed the issue. To be certain, have a shop scan it/diagnose it or buy a hand held scanner that can read ABS codes. It will tell you what error code is saved. A regular OBDII code scanner (cheap ones) don't have the ability to see/read anything but check engine codes so, expect to pay around $90 or more for one that will read ABS codes (and most likely SRS and or Transmission codes too).

On a scale of 1-5 for someone with some mechanical skill/knowledge and an air filter change or Oil change being a 1 or 2 respectively and replacing front brakes a 5. A sensor replacement would fall under a 1 or 2 if that is indeed the problem.

In other words, you could skip the labor charges and DIY.

If it were me, I'd go for the scanner and see what pops up. You can then use the scanner in the future on other cars and for other diagnostics. A professional diagnostic will probably cost just as much and it's a one use thing.

Thanks for this. It's a bit late for me as we just had one rear sensor replaced, and the problem still existed. Took it back in today and they replaced the other rear sensor. Driving home all was fine. I'll report back in a few days to let everyone know if this solved the problem. I'll report back sooner if it does not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. Did that fix the problem as of today?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. Did that fix the problem as of today?
yes, we had both rear sensors changed and have had no further problems. No more warning lights, no traction control warnings, no 4Wd shutdown. I hope this will fix yours as well. Good luck. Also, we did them separately, and it cost about $180 for each trip. If I had it to do again, I would have changed both on the first trip and perhaps saved some money. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have this same issue in my 2013 Ford Escape Titanium. It just started a week ago. :(
I'm having the same problem with my 2014 Ford escape titanium it just started the day before yesterday my ABS light come on and the traction control light and the hill brake assist light and the information system said 4 wheel drive temporarily disabled :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have replaced the ABS sensors the air bag sensors and alot of other parts and still have the lights.... today was the day i traded it off... I suggest anyone in the market for a escape find something else.. I have been in contact with ford the entire time and they just don't care.. They wanna send you to a dealership to spend thousands on useless work..

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 4WD Escape. I am reading this thread, just had a scary moment of car knocking, stopping and restarting in traffic.
1. ABS and Skid sensor signs come up after starting engine. 2. Hill Assist Not Available. 3. Then 4WD Not available. Had this for a few days. Then today, all 3 signs again, knocking sound from the back wheels after starting car, then car literally seizes up when pulling into traffic, coming from the back wheels. I made it back miraculously into a parking lot. After it idled then a sign comes on 4WD available. Just tried to start it up again and the ABS light comes on, drove a little to see what would happen and knocking/locking back wheels starts right away. Dropping off to Ford Dealer service asap.
This just started happening on my 2015 Ford Escape as well. Did you get a solution? I’m terrified to drive it to the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same exact problem with my 2013 Ford Escape 4WD. Started as a knocking noise which turned into the car randomly stalling at stop signs and red lights; it was terrifying because I had no way of knowing when it was going to occur it turns right back on after this occurs. I brought it to the Ford dealership 2 times for this issue, The first time, the transmission tech couldn’t recreate the problem and insisted it was that I needed my transmission fluid flushed which I gave them the go ahead to do. 1 day after getting my car back from them it stalled again so I brought it back a second time. They had my car for almost 60 days and couldn’t figure out what the problem was even though a technician drove the car and it happened to him. They did nothing to fix the issue and had me pay almost $700 out of pocket even with my extended warranty for them to fix absolutely nothing. My car still stalls randomly and is now having the issue with the ABS and traction control light as well as the 4WD and hillside assist issue. The back wheels seem like they’re locking up and the car doesn’t move then a few seconds later and I’m able to drive again. I’m curious if your Ford dealership was able to fix the issue or if you’re still having it as my issue has been ongoing since October 2019; if so what was the issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
T
2015 4WD Escape. I am reading this thread, just had a scary moment of car knocking, stopping and restarting in traffic.
1. ABS and Skid sensor signs come up after starting engine. 2. Hill Assist Not Available. 3. Then 4WD Not available. Had this for a few days. Then today, all 3 signs again, knocking sound from the back wheels after starting car, then car literally seizes up when pulling into traffic, coming from the back wheels. I made it back miraculously into a parking lot. After it idled then a sign comes on 4WD available. Just tried to start it up again and the ABS light comes on, drove a little to see what would happen and knocking/locking back wheels starts right away. Dropping off to Ford Dealer service asap.
this is exactly what my car is doing. Can you share what the problem was and how they fixed it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Exact same problem with my 2015 Escape with 60,000 miles. I have an appointment at the dealership and an extended warranty.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts