2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I'm new to this forum. My name is Kris. My wife drive 2013 Ford Escape. Some weeks ago her radio start to make weird noises. Suddenly about a week ago whole sound system went dead. You can see radio buttons on touchscreen and CD but you can't press them. So basically no music or anything. Took my car to dealer and they said it is Audio Control Module that is dead. And they want $850 to replace it. Decided to do some research before I pay them. Took the unit out and got the number off it. The only problem is there is two cables on the back of it that I have no idea how to disconnect. Also if I search for used unit it looks like everybody just cut them off. I don't want to do it since don't know if I be able to re solder them after . I attach a photo of the two cables cut off. Can someone let me know what they are used for? And is it possible to disconnect them without cutting?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Hello all
I'm new to this forum. My name is Kris. My wife drive 2013 Ford Escape. Some weeks ago her radio start to make weird noises. Suddenly about a week ago whole sound system went dead. You can see radio buttons on touchscreen and CD but you can't press them. So basically no music or anything. Took my car to dealer and they said it is Audio Control Module that is dead. And they want $850 to replace it. Decided to do some research before I pay them. Took the unit out and got the number off it. The only problem is there is two cables on the back of it that I have no idea how to disconnect. Also if I search for used unit it looks like everybody just cut them off. I don't want to do it since don't know if I be able to re solder them after . I attach a photo of the two cables cut off. Can someone let me know what they are used for? And is it possible to disconnect them without cutting?
If she has a MyFord Touch system, it is possible that this could be an extend warranty item. I received a notice from Ford that my Sync Module warranty was being extended to 5 years. As I understand this is vehicle specific and VIN specific.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If she has a MyFord Touch system, it is possible that this could be an extend warranty item. I received a notice from Ford that my Sync Module warranty was being extended to 5 years. As I understand this is vehicle specific and VIN specific.
I received same notice but this is not covered under that.

• VIN: 1FMCU9H96DUA79791
  • FSA Title: SYNC WITH MYFORD MYLINCOLN TOUCH WARRANTY EXTENSION COVERING ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE APIM
  • Field Service Action Number: 12M02

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,218 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

.... Can someone let me know what they are used for? And is it possible to disconnect them without cutting?
Those are the antenna leads for the AM/FM and Satellite Radio (I don't know which is which, even if you don't use Satellite just put 'em both back in the correct place). Do Not Cut The Antenna Leads In Your Car Harness !

See below (detail of a photo 'stolen' from a classified ad pic by @HayaiKuruma)
  • The 'button' you push only goes down ~1mm and is very stiff
  • You are pulling/removing the entire 3/8" wide x 5/8" high black connector which includes the nylon part with the 'button' and all the part wrapped in black - NOT just the cable/its metal end (same for the other 'mustard-colored' one)
  • When the 'button' is pushed correctly, the connector will slide off with no resistance whatsoever.
  • I've found that a pair of needle-nosed pliers with serrated 'grippy tips', one tip on the 'button' and the other tip on the bottom of the connector, squeezed gently but firmly and then pulling outward, works for me. Don't 'pull' until the button is 'pushed'.
  • If you buy an ACM with the connectors in place, practice on that before doing it on your own in-car harness ;-)

Oh, and you are correct, the extended warranty referenced by @ralph7up relates only to the APIM - not the ACM.

Other considerations when installing a used ACM .... it should be a plug-and-play procedure as long as the replacement ACM comes from an Escape with the identical audio system (e.g. "Sony" sound if your Escape has "Sony" sound, non-Sony 6-speaker > non-Sony 6-speaker, non-Sony 9-speaker > non-Sony 9-speaker). Note: NAV/non-NAV is not a factor - it's the audio system features that need to match for plug-and-play simplicity.

If the replacement ACM is from other than an Escape or is a different audio system, it can be made to work but that may involve some ACM re-programming effort using FORScan. There's help with that here if needed. Note that HD radio and satellite radio cannot be added by re-programming - you must have a 'hardware match' insofar as those features.

Also, if you have an active Sirius subscription .... the replacement ACM will have a different unique Sirius ESN number hard-coded into it - you'll have to contact Sirius support to get them to transfer your subscription to the new ESN. The new ESN is on the Serial Number bar code tag on the ACM (it will also be correctly reported on your MFT menu when the replacement ACM is installed). If you don't have a current Sirius subscription you can just ignore this - you or a later owner can get a new subscription any time by giving them the ESN reported on your MFT screen.

Hope that helps, you should have no problem finding a replacement used ACM for MUCH less than new MSRP, good luck!

Attachments

Reactions: KrisIL

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
As @centex said, don't cut. Most recyclers just cut the wiring harness instead of detatching the plugs (5 seconds instead of minutes trying to figure out how to unplug...time is money), of course, it does make it harder to find intact harnesses from these places.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You for all the details. And just to confirm this is ACM module that is on the picture?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Centex I tried to send you a private message but it looks like I need at least 15 post to be able to do it. Since I will replace the ACM I would like to try to replace APIM module also to have navigation. How do I find the correct one?

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Thank You for all the details. And just to confirm this is ACM module that is on the picture?
Yes, the box with the CD player slot.

Centex I tried to send you a private message but it looks like I need at least 15 post to be able to do it. Since I will replace the ACM I would like to try to replace APIM module also to have navigation. How do I find the correct one?
That's another thing entirely.

I enabled NAV via software/reprogramming - see this thread paying attention to the latest changes in the procedure http://www.fordescape.org/forum/ele...fordtouch-navigation-via-software-update.html

I'm not up to speed on gaining NAV via APIM swap - many have done it though and there's threads dedicated to that approach - please use search to find those and follow-up on one of those threads.

I'd suggest you get your ACM up and running correctly with your current and unmolested APIM before tackling the NAV project. IMHO pulling and replacing or reprogramming both at once introduces too many variables to try to resolve in case of a hiccup, the two modules work closely with each other for the entertainment functions.

have fun!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the box with the CD player slot.

That's another thing entirely.

I enabled NAV via software/reprogramming - see this thread paying attention to the latest changes in the procedure http://www.fordescape.org/forum/ele...fordtouch-navigation-via-software-update.html

I'm not up to speed on gaining NAV via APIM swap - many have done it though and there's threads dedicated to that approach - please use search to find those and follow-up on one of those threads.

I'd suggest you get your ACM up and running correctly with your current and unmolested APIM before tackling the NAV project. IMHO pulling and replacing or reprogramming both at once introduces too many variables to try to resolve in case of a hiccup, the two modules work closely with each other for the entertainment functions.

have fun!
Thank You sir. I just placed an order for new ACM. Will be back with either good or bad news ;-)

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Thank You sir. I just placed an order for new ACM. Will be back with either good or bad news ;-)
That's cool. Suggest you save a bookmark and/or copy&save the entire page(s) for the item you bought .... just in case of a hiccup, which I don't anticipate, that might be useful later for reference to it's origins/description.

If it's an exact part number match it should be a straight plug-and-play (with the Sirius ESN change notification as previously mentioned, if applicable).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's cool. Suggest you save a bookmark and/or copy&save the entire page(s) for the item you bought .... just in case of a hiccup, which I don't anticipate, that might be useful later for reference to it's origins/description.

If it's an exact part number match it should be a straight plug-and-play (with the Sirius ESN change notification as previously mentioned, if applicable).
It is exact part number match as per his pictures. And I don't care about the Sirius. Never used it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just want to say thank you to centex for all his help. I swipe the old unit with one from eBay ($35 total cost instead of $850 at dealer) and everything went smooth and now my wife have her radio back. Took me about 25 min to do it. One advice is those two connections I asked in previous post have to be removed as centex said but I wasn't able to do it by pressing on the tabs with fingers. I have to use a screwdriver to press on it hard enough to unplug them.

·
Registered
652 Posts
It always makes me happy to see when people can do it themselves through the resources of the Internet! Congratulations, Kris!

Reactions: 4Carranza

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I just want to say thank you to centex for all his help. I swipe the old unit with one from eBay ($35 total cost instead of $850 at dealer) and everything went smooth and now my wife have her radio back. Took me about 25 min to do it. One advice is those two connections I asked in previous post have to be removed as centex said but I wasn't able to do it by pressing on the tabs with fingers. I have to use a screwdriver to press on it hard enough to unplug them.
Awesome! Very good news.

Consumer - 1
Corporation - 0

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking to do the same thing on my Ford C-Max which I assume for all intents and purposes would be the same. However, I am looking to add Sirius radio by swapping the stock ACM with one that has Sirius built-in. I am fine with being able to swap the unit. However, it mentioned that using ForScan you are able to configure the ACM to your vin and enable the satellite radio. I would much prefer using forscan and my phone to do it versus purchasing the obd genie item for $200. So... is there a location that describes how to use forscan for that purpose? If you guys could point me in the right direction I would be forever grateful!!

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Welcome to the forum @riesx090

..... I would much prefer using forscan and my phone to do it versus purchasing the obd genie item for $200 .....
Just focusing on this part of your post, please note that none of the smartphone versions of ForScan support module re-programming and all versions require some type of OBD interface device to communicate with your car.

More info about what different versions of ForScan can do is found in this chart ("Configuration and programming" is what you'll need): Comparsion of FORScan applications

More info on supported OBD interface devices (widely available for much less than $200) is here: FORScan Home

Sorry, I can't help you with the specific programming required to fully enable Sirius with an ACM swap, search should yield the info you need specific to that. Be aware that in addition to the ACM swap and possibly APIM reprogramming, you may also need to add satellite /Sirius antenna provisions also if your C-Max doesn't have that .... lacking OEM Sirius I doubt it does have the satellite antenna already.

Good Luck, Have Fun!

Reactions: atlcarl69

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the information, to clarify I do have an obd to Bluetooth adapter in my vehicle that I use in conjunction with forscan. I have done some searching and cannot find which modifications are necessary within the settings to enable the Sirius within the new radio. Any suggestions on where to start looking?

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
If you can't find joy using google then it's quite possible that the required info hasn't 'leaked to the web' yet and OBD Genie may be your only option for now. History suggests that with time someone will make the info available on the web. If you're in a hurry, you may have to pay for the privilege.

No, my casual google surfing does not yield joy for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there, Can you please let me know the part number or the link were i can find the replacement.

Best Regards

1 - 20 of 48 Posts