2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

ACM ( Audio Control Module ) need to be replaced

144K views 61 replies 23 participants last post by  Cryan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. My name is Kris. My wife drives a 2013 Ford Escape. Some weeks ago her radio start to make weird noises. Suddenly about a week ago whole sound system went dead. You can see radio buttons on the touchscreen and CD but you can't press them. So basically no music or anything.

Took my car to the dealer and they said it is Audio Control Module that is dead. And they want $850 to replace it. Decided to do some research before I pay them. Took the unit out and got the number off it. The only problem is there are two cables on the back of it that I have no idea how to disconnect. Also if I search for used units it looks like everybody just cut them off. I don't want to do it since don't know if I am able to re-solder them after. I attach a photo of the two cables cut off.

Can someone let me know what they are used for? And is it possible to disconnect them without cutting them?

Attachments

See less See more
#58 ·
Ideally for it to be plug and play you would need the exact same code including the last two letters. You have a different set up with radio in the USA but over here in the UK a newer model ACM will work with an older sync system after the asbuilt settings have been used for the replacement ACM. That also works the other way around as well as I upgraded my sync 1 with a sync 2 system and used the original sync 1 ACM. I now have sync 3.

Over here the breakers are charging a fortune for a Kuga (Escape) ACM, yet one for a Mondeo (Fusion) is about half the cost or less. The Fusion one shares a similar engineering part code in the "19C107" part and it would be interesting to know if it could be used in the Kuga / Escape. I know over here the one for the Focus cannot be used as it cannot be programmed, certainly not with Forscan.

The amount of failures of the 2012-2015 sync 1 ACM's we have over here is quite surprising and it seems to be down to a common fault. Surprised that nobody has taken one apart and found what's blown as it could be an easy and cheap repair.

Good luck in your search.

#59 ·
May not apply to everybody's issues. But I have a 2013 Ford. Escape titanium radio started off making static noises I Then completely cut out a few weeks later. Would be intermittent would come back on 1 day static next and then stop working.
So I look at the forms found various solutions. I know I'm not paying $300 for AC. M. That's older than my daughter. I reflowed the board myself. Did not fix the problem while I was troubleshooting it. I hooked it up with out the CD player module connected Walla. Radio workfine, then running it now. For a week. Without the city player in it works fine. No issues reconnected the CD player today to confirm radio would not work. Did the static thing for about 5 minutes and then completely one out. I believe it may be a power issue or something wrong with the CD module itself.
But I don't use cd's anyways. Just want the Bluetooth and navigation to work. So I'm running it when no city player so far no problems. Save some money in compromise may not work with everybody's.

#61 ·
Just an FYI. Finally bit the bullet and took the 2014 Escape Titanium to the dealer for no audio problem. Diagnosed as needing ACM replacement, which I expected.

But here's the thing that's worth noting...the part they will put in (for $775...$150 diagnostic, $150 install, $475 part) is refurbished from Ford! There are no new ones to be had, said my dealer guy. The dealer mechanic removes the broken one and sends it to whoever Ford is using for this, they refurbish and sell it to a dealer for installation in another vehicle.

When I told the service manager that these were available on eBay for $100-$150 he said, "hunh." I'd have tried to do this myself except for the fact that I'm old as dirt and almost crippled myself checking the fuses under the glove box on the passenger side ....whoever designed that little setup must have been tiny and high.

Good for those of you who did the swap out yourselves. You saved about $600.
UPDATE 3/2024….The dealer replaced ACM blew a week or so ago. I called dealer..oops, out of warranty, will cost more than last time to replace. I decided to try a fix myself, so bought one on eBay ($150 + tax). Biggest problem I had was trying to get the damned negative cable off the battery …'s hidden, so you have to disconnect the negative extender cable, which has a funky nut that requires a deep 13mm socket and extender.Once I got that done, taking the dash apart and replacing the ACM was easy. Great YouTube videos show exactly what to do. Interestingly, ever after the dealer installation, I had no Sirius..didn't care all that much, but today I discovered why…the dealer mechanic had broken the Sirius antenna clip so the wire wasn’t”t connected to the ACM. Total cost to get all working again m
Just an FYI. Finally bit the bullet and took the 2014 Escape Titanium to the dealer for no audio problem. Diagnosed as needing ACM replacement, which I expected.

But here's the thing that's worth noting...the part they will put in (for $775...$150 diagnostic, $150 install, $475 part) is refurbished from Ford! There are no new ones to be had, said my dealer guy. The dealer mechanic removes the broken one and sends it to whoever Ford is using for this, they refurbish and sell it to a dealer for installation in another vehicle.

When I told the service manager that these were available on eBay for $100-$150 he said, "hunh." I'd have tried to do this myself except for the fact that I'm old as dirt and almost crippled myself checking the fuses under the glove box on the passenger side ....whoever designed that little setup must have been tiny and high.

UPdATE 3/24/2024. Dealer installed unit broke…same exact problems. This time, refusing to pay $900, I bought a unit on eBay and installed myself. Everything working fine. The dealer installer actually broke the Sirius antenna lead, which I discovered today, and which explained why I had no Sirius after the last 'repair'. I didn't care enough to take it back to dealer and wait again, so lived without it. Now I know why. Total cost this time about $190, including a couple of needed tools. Good videos on YouTube for this replacement.

#62 ·

UPDATE 3/2024….The dealer replaced ACM blew a week or so ago. I called dealer..oops, out of warranty, will cost more than last time to replace. I decided to try a fix myself, so bought one on eBay ($150 + tax). Biggest problem I had was trying to get the damned negative cable off the battery …'s hidden, so you have to disconnect the negative extender cable, which has a funky nut that requires a deep 13mm socket and extender.Once I got that done, taking the dash apart and replacing the ACM was easy. Great YouTube videos show exactly what to do. Interestingly, ever after the dealer installation, I had no Sirius..didn't care all that much, but today I discovered why…the dealer mechanic had broken the Sirius antenna clip so the wire wasn’t”t connected to the ACM. Total cost to get all working again m

a