2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have a vibration at highway speeds apparently caused by the active grill shutters?
My 2021 SEL hybrid often vibrates and shakes the front end at speeds from 50 to 70 mph up. Much worse if there is a head wind.
My Dealer inquired with Ford and received back an email regarding issue. This was after checking my car and found nothing else is causing the issue.
They won’t disconnect the shutters until a fix is found.
Anyone heard of a fix?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I’ll look into this.
Addition. The dealership advised me Ford will get back to them or me with a service bulletin or some form of contact. It’s been over a month and they’ve not heard back. I was led to believe they knew of this problem and we’re working on it. Trying to figure out my next move to correct this.

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV
70 Posts
You say the front end is shaking and vibrating. Can you be more specific? What in particular is vibrating and shaking?

It it the back edge of the hood fluttering up and down at speeds over 60 mph?

Who diagnosed the grille shutters as the cause and did they say in what way the grille shutters were malfunctioning?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You say the front end is shaking and vibrating. Can you be more specific? What in particular is vibrating and shaking?

It it the back edge of the hood fluttering up and down at speeds over 60 mph?

Who diagnosed the grille shutters as the cause and did they say in what way the grille shutters were malfunctioning?
Thanks for your post.
The front end gets a vibration (and noise, sometimes) and sometimes the side of the hood will shake but not unless there is a very strong head wind. The vibration at speed varies with how strong the head wind is. Typically, 80km/he in to a head wind. However, If I’m traveling with the wind it may not occur or be barely noticeable unless I’m going more than 115km/hr.
I took it to the dealer where they checked it all out and could not find anything wrong. (I now have my winter tires on and it still the same) At this point the dealer communicated with Ford and Ford emailed back with this diagnosis. I was advised I would be notified when there is a solution. ( I’m not holding my breath) It’s been more than a month now. Car has about 2000 Km.

·
Registered
70 Posts
See the post in this section about the dancing hood. It appears this is what you may be describing. Rattling noises is another issue and may be coming from aerodynamic close out panels under the engine bay.

I have installed hood stop support pads at the rear of the hood in an attempt to reduce the hood flutter at high speeds. I have not had an opportunity to drive at 75 mph yet to confirm if it is effective at all. When I do test it and if it works, I can provide the details.

if Ford believes the grille shutters are malfunctioning, they are likely opening up when they are not supposed to, at high speeds when they should be closed. That would cause a variable pressure increase in the engine bay that could cause the hood and the close out panels in the engine bay to flutter and vibrate. Unlike older vehicles, the Escape has a relatively closed-in engine compartment.

Disconnecting the power to the grille shutters would probable make them stay open all the time which may only make the problem worse not better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See the post in this section about the dancing hood. It appears this is what you may be describing. Rattling noises is another issue and may be coming from aerodynamic close out panels under the engine bay that may need more attachment points installed.

I have installed hood stop support pads at the rear of the hood that may eliminate the hood flutter at high speeds. I have not had an opportunity to drive at 75 mph yet to confirm the effectiveness of this fiix. When I do test it and am confident it works I can provide the details.

The hood stop support pads are available on Amazon and just snap into existing rectangular holes in the front fenders inside the engine bay in a few seconds with an exact fit with no drilling or other alterations to the vehicle.
Thank you, I’ll try the hood stops. Any chance you have a name or link for the correct size!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just found this TSB. Was your Escape built within this date range? I would hold off on the hood stops given this TSB. The TSB fix should resolve the hood flutter.
View attachment 80540
Hi, thanks for finding the TSB.
My car was built 9/21. I can only see the month and year, no day. However, my car falls within the posted time frame. So far, no fix is offered.

·
Registered
2021 Titanium Hybrid
68 Posts
Anybody have an update on this? My build date is outside of the time window (by 1 business day!) but I'm definitely getting the noise-buzzing, chattering, vibration above 70mph and is much worse with a headwind.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was at the dealer a few weeks ago and there was no update on that TSB. I have since eliminated some of the high speed noises myself. There are two noise sources.

1) There is a close out panel under the engine bay that extends under the foot wells of the front seats. This close out panel is underneath and very close to the metal cabin floor. At high speeds it vibrates a bit vertically causing it to bang into the metal floor panel when vibrating creating a noise.

I added just two plastic expanding push pin attachment fasteners similar to those used by Ford to secure the close out panel in a strategic location to resolve that noise.

2) The plastic rocker panel covers just below the front and back doors are attached with plastic clips that are slightly loose and can’t be tightened. This allows the covers to vibrate under high wind loading conditions. This vibration of the covers causes a rattling noise only at high speeds (but not bumps or rough roads) that sounds like it is coming from the door panels.

I haven’t fixed this yet but I plan on adding silicone RTV caulk around the large rectangular rocker panel fasteners to eliminate the cover looseness that causes the rattle. The fasteners are underneath the rocker panel covers and face the road so they are out of sight. Silicone RTV can easily be peeled off if the covers ever need to be removed.

·
Registered
2021 Titanium Hybrid
68 Posts
Apparently there is now a fix for this problem. I took mine in to the dealer this week and they replaced 2 parts under TSB 21-2445. Have been up to 75 mph and so far, no noise. And the hood isn't fluttering either. I suspect the 2 things were related.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Addition. The dealership advised me Ford will get back to them or me with a service bulletin or some form of contact. It’s been over a month and they’ve not heard back. I was led to believe they knew of this problem and we’re working on it. Trying to figure out my next move to correct this.
I also have the problem at highway speeds. I was thinking it was the rod that holds up the hood. 2021 escape SE PHEV

·
Registered
16 Posts
Was just the dealer making a repair claim for the noise caused by the shutters. My 21 Escape makes the vibration noise consistently from 70+ mph. Dealer rep was not aware of a fix or of a TSB, so obviously I have to educate them. It either gets fixed or I'm removing the shutters myself.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The shutters are not replaced to fix the problem. It’s the two molded plastic ducts that direct air from the upper and lower grille openings to the upper and lower shutters that cause the racket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
However Ford gets it fixed is what matters. Surprises me that this current design made it all the way through testing to production with such an obvious flaw. The noise made by the shutters at 65 to 80mph is loud enough to be heard alongside the vehicle, and felt in the body structure.

Bugs the crap out of me, and if this was a vehicle I actually paid for (it's a company provided vehicle) I'd be at the dealer weekly to get it fixed. That, or replace the vehicle. My 2018 Escape also has shutters and has never made one bit of noise at any speed (which has been over 90mph a few times).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts