2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Titanium 2.0
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, adding a hitch before our move to my wife’s car so she can tow a small uhaul trailer. I regretted not getting one with factory tow package since I won’t get the 3500 lb tow rating now. But are there any aftermarket hitches that work well with the lift gate sensors? I know the factory one requires a new module and sensors I believe. Getting a quote now for all that. But I’m sure it will be way more than aftermarket. If they won’t work what do people do? I saw a few notes that said only the side sensors will work, if that’s true I will just do the after market and save a ton of money.
Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Titanium 2.0
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Local dealer quoted $645 for factory hitch and install, about $300 was labor. I would do it myself. The guy stated they usually get away with not ordering the new sensors and modules cause they can make it work with the old ones.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Have you checked with U-haul? maybe they have a complaint hitch for rent or some sort of work-around. I'm sure you're not the first person needing to tow with rear sensors w/o a factory hitch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 2016, so this may not apply, but... With trailer attached, just get a warning message that rear sensors are not functioning and that goes away once trailer is removed.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,740 Posts
But are there any aftermarket hitches that work well with the lift gate sensors?
Are you referring to the gesture motion foot sensors that open the tailgate? One of them is secured via screws to the lower lip of the plastic tray/ diffuser that's between the exhaust tips. I assume they'd need to cut a hole in that area for the towbar's tongue- so that would need to be moved. That's how they normally do the tow bar installs here in Australia on Kuga/ Escapes I've seen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a Curt 13186 installed on mine. The receiver hangs just below the bumper with the rest behind. It was around $300 at a rack shop in town. The liftgate sensor still works and there are no error messages; you just kick your foot on either side of where the receiver hangs and the liftgate opens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts