2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over a year ago the cloth splash guard underneath my 2013 Escape started to fall apart. I kept it like that for a while since I thought there was no other option. For the next two winters I struggled to keep it connected to my car until I recently took a peek online and found that there were no quality plastic aftermarket alternatives. After looking around I ordered on from Amazon from a company called GZYF. I first found out about them from a Youtube uploader whose channel is dedicated to the Ford Escape.

The Youtube video can be seen here >>>>>

The price was about $125 with shipping which I didn't think it was that bad (a new cloth splash guard from Ford is even more expensive at $135) . My part did come from China though and that meant waiting 2.5 weeks as it came from overseas and had to pass customs. When it came in the splash guard was covered very well with styrofoam, tape, and other protection. When I finally got the splash guard unwrapped it was exactly as described and came with the extra hardware as well.

The installation was pretty straight forward and I took off the old cloth guard and replaced it with the new plastic one. I also used the new hardware since the screw holes for the plastic cover is a little big bigger and the new washers that come with the plastic splash guard compensate for this. Overall the install probably took 20-30 mins with me on my back against the ground without and car lift or electric tools. All I needed was a couple of screw drivers - one with a flat end and one with a sharper end.

I'm very happy with the outcome and I wish I should have done this before. If anyone has any questions let me know.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Nice write up.

I’m sticking with OEM. I’m sure I’ll have to replace the OEM at least once in the life of the car. The reason I’m staying with the original design is because of the air scoop. That blows air right on the transmission/PTU location and after looking at the failure rate of the PTU due to heat I want as much air flow as possible in that area. Go ahead and flame me but why else would Ford incorporate the air scoop?

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Nice write up.

I’m sticking with OEM. I’m sure I’ll have to replace the OEM at least once in the life of the car. The reason I’m staying with the original design is because of the air scoop. That blows air right on the transmission/PTU location and after looking at the failure rate of the PTU due to heat I want as much air flow as possible in that area. Go ahead and flame me but why else would Ford incorporate the air scoop?
I totally agree. I thought I saw a video where someone made the air vents in these larger? I do admit, these plastic ones do look a lot more serviceable. I like that you don't have to remove them for oil & filter changes. Not sure what I will do when mine bites the dust.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice write up.

You're right about the PTU and I'm looking into a way of maybe adding a new vent that will cool the PTU or even detaching it from the original splash guard and putting it on the new one. We'll see.

The plastic one does have vents in it but unfortunately none really hit the PTU straight on. :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
This splash guards can also be purchased from amazon for less than $100, and they have the air scoop. It doesn't have the access panels though.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Looks good, I was considering getting one of those eventually just for the ease of oil and trans fluid changes. I don't have AWD so I don't need to worry about PTU cooling. I'd imagine the cooling effect on the transmission itself even with the OEM cover is not much.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Over a year ago the cloth splash guard underneath my 2013 Escape started to fall apart. I kept it like that for a while since I thought there was no other option. For the next two winters I struggled to keep it connected to my car until I recently took a peek online and found that there were no quality plastic aftermarket alternatives. After looking around I ordered on from Amazon from a company called GZYF. I first found out about them from a Youtube uploader whose channel is dedicated to the Ford Escape.

The Youtube video can be seen here >>>>>

The price was about $125 with shipping which I didn't think it was that bad (a new cloth splash guard from Ford is even more expensive at $135) . My part did come from China though and that meant waiting 2.5 weeks as it came from overseas and had to pass customs. When it came in the splash guard was covered very well with styrofoam, tape, and other protection. When I finally got the splash guard unwrapped it was exactly as described and came with the extra hardware as well.

The installation was pretty straight forward and I took off the old cloth guard and replaced it with the new plastic one. I also used the new hardware since the screw holes for the plastic cover is a little big bigger and the new washers that come with the plastic splash guard compensate for this. Overall the install probably took 20-30 mins with me on my back against the ground without and car lift or electric tools. All I needed was a couple of screw drivers - one with a flat end and one with a sharper end.

I'm very happy with the outcome and I wish I should have done this before. If anyone has any questions let me know. View attachment 74870 View attachment 74871 View attachment 74872 View attachment 74873 View attachment 74874 View attachment 74875
Do NOT and I repeat DO NOT use an aftermarket “splash shield” ... btw, its purpose has NADA to do with preventing splashes, but rather, is there to direct cool “ram air” onto the transfer case (aka PTU) on the 4WD models. Unless that aftermarket one has the same precise air chute, stay away from it... unless you like having to replace your ptu then by all means keep it on.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Do NOT and I repeat DO NOT use an aftermarket “splash shield” ... btw, its purpose has NADA to do with preventing splashes, but rather, is there to direct cool “ram air” onto the transfer case (aka PTU) on the 4WD models. Unless that aftermarket one has the same precise air chute, stay away from it... unless you like having to replace your ptu then by all means keep it on.
If you read post #2, that is exactly what I said.

This is but one item of consideration. There have been several posts about this shield becoming loose, sometimes detaching, from the underside of the vehicle. I would certainly not want this hard plastic to bounce around under my vehicle.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you read post #2, that is exactly what I said.

This is but one item of consideration. There have been several posts about this shield becoming loose, sometimes detaching, from the underside of the vehicle. I would certainly not want this hard plastic to bounce around under my vehicle.
Sorry if I took your credit... new member here and having lots of probs posting and navigating this site as I am inept at computer stuff and web forums in general.. just posted my first online pic ever on a coolant hose leak issue few mins ago lol...

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Sorry if I took your credit... new member here and having lots of probs posting and navigating this site as I am inept at computer stuff and web forums in general.. just posted my first online pic ever on a coolant hose leak issue few mins ago lol...
My only advise to you is to slow down and do ALOT of reading. Pretty much everything has been posted about our Escapes at least once. You might have many questions and your first inclination is to post that question. But look around first, your question may have been answered.

And you should fill out your vehicle signature and specs, like mine below.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My only advise to you is to slow down and do ALOT of reading. Pretty much everything has been posted about our Escapes at least once. You might have many questions and your first inclination is to post that question. But look around first, your question may have been answered.

HI thanks but i’m Not posting any questions per se... just trying to reply to others in a helpful way with what’s I’ve learned as a fe owner.... but if I were going to ask a question, yes... I’d def search it first to see if it’s been explored. Ty for reply.

·
Registered
108 Posts

Hi it’s a 2014 escape SE 4WD with the “infamous “ 1.6l gtdi engine...color is black (metallic, not a solid black)....hmm, what else? The usual factory options pw, pdl, ac, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Hi it’s a 2014 escape SE 4WD with the “infamous “ 1.6l gtdi engine...color is black (metallic, not a solid black)....hmm, what else? The usual factory options pw, pdl, ac, etc.
That's not really what he ment. You need to add your specs as a signature, that way it will appear everytime you post. Click on your icon circle near the top right just to the left of the 3 dots, then go to "account settings" you will see "signature" along the left side. :) ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
is it safe to use if I have the front drive only.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts