2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2013 ford escape with the 1.6. i have air getting into the cooling system somehow. the coolant level drops after driving it for about a half hour. when i loosen the over flow cap air escapes, coolant bubbles,and returns to full line on the tank. im all out of ideas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You might try running the engine to full temp, but leave the pressure cap OFF to let it "burp" some of the air out. Keeping an eye on the temps and also the coolant level. You might also try this with it pointing nose down a bit and let gravity help a bit.

They have these vacuum pump devices that pressurize the system and when the pressure is released, it pulls the coolant thru the system, and is supposed to remove any air bubbles in the system.

I have not personally used such a device, so only going by what I've "heard"....

I've done the burping deal with the cap off on other vehicles with success.. Not on the Escape, so take it for what's it's worth... :)

Good luck! Mitch

·
Registered
18 Posts
Humm.. Yeah, might have to try that vacuum setup then..

When I just did my coolant change, I only did a "drain and fill" of the rad. I'll do another one at the next oil change, along with a drain and fill of the trans fluid. Just to get some fresh stuff in there since I'm not at a whole lotta miles for a 14. (46k right now).

Mitch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Humm.. Yeah, might have to try that vacuum setup then..

When I just did my coolant change, I only did a "drain and fill" of the rad. I'll do another one at the next oil change, along with a drain and fill of the trans fluid. Just to get some fresh stuff in there since I'm not at a whole lotta miles for a 14. (46k right now).

Mitch
i just did a combustion leak test and it came back positive. seems to be a head gasket issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh.. Do you see bubbles coming thru the system when the cap is off and the engine idling? I'm not sure if these new cooling systems do that, but the old school ones with the cap on the actual rad would show bubbles in the rad when there was a head gasket or even a cracked head issue. (I had that happen to an old Plymouth Acclaim and it turned out to be a cracked head..)

Good luck with the repair! Mitch

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,772 Posts
i just did a combustion leak test and it came back positive. seems to be a head gasket issue.
I was about to suggest checking for head gasket issues. :(

The 1.6l EcoBoost has a bad reputation for cooling system related faults. Check if all the relevant TSB's / recalls have been done on it.

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,511 Posts
Make sure you take the head to a machine shop and make sure it's not warped or that you don't have a crack from the exhaust port to the water jacket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts