2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a mention that I ordered one late last fall and finally had some decent weather to install and I am very happy with fit and quality. Only takes 10-15 min to change and you can use existing hardware from old guard however I opted to add some enlarged washers for extra grip on the guard as it is quite rigid and wanted a secure hold. Also just had oil changed and garage was quite happy to not have to remove and install old guard (and charge me for it of course).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is this the metal type? Does it still have the cooling channel?

·
Registered
2013 1.6L EcoBoost SE, Tuxedo Black
369 Posts
Is this the metal type? Does it still have the cooling channel?
Did a review on it a while back- it's a hearty plastic- really tough.

It does have vents to draw air upwards- not as intentional as the factory cover, but I've had it on my FE for over a year and no problems.

The ONLY issue I've found with it so far is that it may not be optimized to get your arm around the front of a 1.6T FE to get to the oil filter. You can do it, but it's tight.

Other than that, I've loved it. Held up great, doesn't rip, doesn't absorb water... pretty good for the money :)

Hope this helps:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Anyone recall the part numbers for the bolts and plastic nutserts? My daughter ran over something and tore the shield loose. I need to replace the stripped out plastic inserts and lost screws

·
Registered
321 Posts
Did a review on it a while back- it's a hearty plastic- really tough.

It does have vents to draw air upwards- not as intentional as the factory cover, but I've had it on my FE for over a year and no problems.

The ONLY issue I've found with it so far is that it may not be optimized to get your arm around the front of a 1.6T FE to get to the oil filter. You can do it, but it's tight.

Other than that, I've loved it. Held up great, doesn't rip, doesn't absorb water... pretty good for the money :)

Hope this helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnex3rPwyo8&t=8s

I just changed the oil in my Escape about 2 weeks ago. The shield is in perfect condition and it is already 1&1/2 years old. I believe it will last as long as you own your vehicle unlike the biodegradable OEM one which many people had tear and fall off after oil changes. On the 2 liter the oil filter is centered perfectly within the oil filter opening acess panal.

·
Registered
2013 1.6L EcoBoost SE, Tuxedo Black
369 Posts
I just changed the oil in my Escape about 2 weeks ago. The shield is in perfect condition and it is already 1&1/2 years old. I believe it will last as long as you own your vehicle unlike the biodegradable OEM one which many people had tear and fall off after oil changes. On the 2 liter the oil filter is centered perfectly within the oil filter opening acess panal.
Great to know about the 2.0T! Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Anyone recall the part numbers for the bolts and plastic nutserts? My daughter ran over something and tore the shield loose. I need to replace the stripped out plastic inserts and lost screws
I don't have the part # for the screws (which I need to replace a couple of), but here's the part # for the plastic nuts:

http://www.fordescape.org/forum/363721-post11.html

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
someone on the site was making a good part list of common things....but you'd have to search for it. I do not know/remember where it went.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have but one question.

After changing the wife's oil in her 2013 Lexus RX 350 this evening, I decided to crawl under the front end of my 2017 Escape 1.5L as I had not yet done so - owned it about a month at this point. I was absolutely aghast to see the fiber pad on the bottom side of the Escape! That pad drove me here for to look for answers to my questions, like, "just how freakin' complicated is an oil change going to be for the Escape?"

So my question now is, does anyone make a plastic or metal version of the above nice looking splash guard for a 2017 Escape in the 1.5L flavor?

As a guy who prefers to do his own maintenance, I am still stunned and in disbelief that Ford would put a fiber splash guard under the Escape. At first I thought, "gee, what is that, a metal skid plate? How cool!" Then the horror set in as I realized it was a fiber material...lol!

As an aside, would there be any real downfall to just removing that fiber splash guard?

Reactions: Tall Timbers

·
Registered
321 Posts
My 2013 Ford Escape Titanium was missing it's stock under engine guard and it does not hurt at all to drive with it off. I put on the Ali Express one about 1.5 years ago and it works great and still looks as good as the day I put it on and I like that I do not have to remove it to change the oil. I can see it lasting as long as you own your Ford Escape because it is 1/4 inch thick ABS plastic and it is really rugged made.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Not seeing one for the 2017 yet on AliExpress.com - that is the site, right?

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I rolled my '17 Escape SE 2.0 up on ramps, it took about 30 seconds to remove the splash shield, and about a minute to reinstall after changing the oil/filter using a ratchet/bitholder for the phillips screws and a T30 torx bit/impact driver (on light torque setting.) It does tend to keep the underside of the engine a but cleaner. I guess if it starts to wear out I's be interested in a thicker plastic shield, but for now I'll just see how she goes. Just remember to slide it so the tabs on each side slide into the slots.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Torx screws T27/T30

W702413-S307

The plastic nuts

W702438-S300

Reactions: Tall Timbers

·
Registered
171 Posts
Maybe they use fibre as a sound deadener... I have a 2014 Fusion with the same type of shield and it takes like 5 extra minutes to remove and install again. What's the big deal??

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
My wife's 2017 engine shield got ripped up after hitting a tire shard on the Interstate. I've been trying to buy one of the shields from AliExpress for two days. It's never been so difficult to spend money...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a question for anyone who owns this pan:

I have a 2.0 engine and typically change my oil using ramps, does the oil drain plug access cover allow enough room for the oil to flow out into a drain pan w/o being redistributed over the inside top of the cover? Again this is with the car on ramps at an angle and not on jack stands as shown in the video.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts