2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
161 - 180 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
@Messw/stuff I'm glad the Wildpeaks are working out for you. I have like 10,000 miles on mine so far and all is good.
You shouldn't have to worry about the alignment bit as the adjustment points do not change, and from my experience, you are not maxed out on those adjustments either. There isn't much play left but there is a little. I've had alignments done at a tire shop and at my mechanic with no issues. Quite frankly, they would probably not even notice the difference.
Where do you rub? Before the lift I might have had a tire hit the top of the front wheelwell when I bottomed out on a frost heave. It might have been my imagination on that but I never had a rub, and that was with the more beefy Cooper Discoverers at the time.

·
Registered
2014 Ford escape AWD titanium
128 Posts
It's a light rub if I'm turning almost all they either direction don't see marks so must be just barely I assume plastic wheel well liner or if they are covered in m
ud like they were last weekend with all the rain we got. Got to do a little mud bogging just to leave when I went hiking up north was a lot of fun actually and only once got scared I might get stuck. Thanks for the pointers I guess I'll do the lift was just gonna do like .75" I think was the smallest kit.

Reactions: needliftnow

·
Registered
538 Posts
I checked my local dealer to see if they had any cars left in their inventory when I noticed they had a Bronco! I sped down there to check it out with a camera in hand and there was no Bronco. There wasn't much of anything actually. Such is the nature of things these days, LOL! I may get one one day. It's certainly out of my price point right now and a monthly payment is basically a couple hundred less than a mortgage payment! One day though. For now, the Escape works well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah I'm trying to get as much time out of my escaped as possible I was kind of mad when I heard that I have to wait probably at least a year but now I'm okay with that cuz I just put those all terrain tires on like I think less than a year ago and the car runs perfect except for that AC problem I had which was just a blockage in the drain hose so and I'm just getting the base model that's the only way I can afford it on a government salary. But even as a base it's awesome and all I'm going to do is put tires on it and locking differentials don't need all that nice stuff for an off-roader. And honestly I'm not too crazy about the Sasquatch package because it looks like it automates a lot of that stuff and it's like I know when I want to lock my differentials and when I want to go into four wheel drive and all that I want it all manual that's also I didn't get to Sasquatch package cuz you can't get a manual transmission with it although supposedly they're going to change that in the future kind of would be nice to have that disconnecting sway bar but I've never had it on any of my other 4x4s and did fine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys, can anybody speak to how well the all terrain BFGK02 tires handle paved roads in the rain? They used to have a terrible reputation for sliding around but that rep was for the originals and I was wondering if their handling had improved.

Cheers

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape SE AWD 2.0 Ecoboost
52 Posts
Hi guys, can anybody speak to how well the all terrain BFGK02 tires handle paved roads in the rain? They used to have a terrible reputation for sliding around but that rep was for the originals and I was wondering if their handling had improved.

Cheers
Hey Stooge!

I can't speak for K02's on the escape, but I did have a set on my 2013 F150 4x4 for a while. They still do pretty poorly in the rain in my experience, but excel most other places. Even snow oddly enough.

If you wanted a more aggressive AT, I'd suggest the Wildpeak AT3W's. Those are my favorite all terrains I've ever ran. I'd give them an A+ in wet and dry, snow, rain, and every off road terrain I ran across. Which is basically anything you can imagine. Only place they didn't do super well was in clay mud. Couldn't void enough mud to keep traction, but I don't hold that against them. Clay is a whole nother animal and only dedicated mud tires can sometimes get through it with little struggle. Durability was too notch.

I ran them out in Barstow CA with some buddies, and I was the only one who didn't slice a sidewall on the roads made almost entirely of shale 😂

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi mate, thanks for the feedback! That’s a good real world example of strong sidewalls eh👍
Not necessarily looking for an aggressive tread just a tougher overall tire than what I have and something that can handle the wet as we get a lot of it here in BC.
Long story but basically I’m getting current tires warrantied and looking to step up to an 8 ply from (6 ply) as i get loads of punctures (8-12 annually) and am hoping the extra couple of ply will reduce this. I got offered the K02’s as a replacement but am a bit leery of their wet rd handling….lots of rain, curves and potholes around here. I’m limited to what Canadian Tire stocks which is BFG and Coopers. I’ve got 30km of dirt as well as 70km of pavement to drive everyday to get to work, trying to find something that fits this balance, it ain’t easy! Hahaha

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi mate, thanks for the feedback! That’s a good real world example of strong sidewalls eh👍
Not necessarily looking for an aggressive tread just a tougher overall tire than what I have and something that can handle the wet as we get a lot of it here in BC.
Long story but basically I’m getting current tires warrantied and looking to step up to an 8 ply from (6 ply) as i get loads of punctures (8-12 annually) and am hoping the extra couple of ply will reduce this. I got offered the K02’s as a replacement but am a bit leery of their wet rd handling….lots of rain, curves and potholes around here. I’m limited to what Canadian Tire stocks which is BFG and Coopers. I’ve got 30km of dirt as well as 70km of pavement to drive everyday to get to work, trying to find something that fits this balance, it ain’t easy! Hahaha
Not a problem! Sounds like you have quite the adventurous commute! Wish I could be more help to you there, I don't have much experience with coopers. I know several guys that run the cooper AT3 and the STT pros and love them. Just to be clear, these would be going on your escape, correct?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah they are for the Escape.

In regard to mud tires on clay, I couldn’t agree more. I ran the BFG MT on my Landcruiser back in Australia and they even had trouble on wet clay, it just slicks up and there’s nothing to bite into…it’s even hard to walk on!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah they are for the Escape.

In regard to mud tires on clay, I couldn’t agree more. I ran the BFG MT on my Landcruiser back in Australia and they even had trouble on wet clay, it just slicks up and there’s nothing to bite into…it’s even hard to walk on!
Gotcha. Well I'm having trouble finding anything past a 6 ply all terrain in any size for the escape, at least in the states. It appears to me it's necessary to step up to a light truck tire for that. Could be different in Canada though, not sure.

But yeah, seriously! Clay is no joke and it sticks to EVERYTHING 😂

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was told (but can’t confirm) that the K02 AT were 8 ply. Maybe someone else on here who has them can confirm….

I found 1 set of 10 plys that will fit my 2017 Escape (235/60/17) and yep they are sold as a light truck tire but they weren’t AT, just standard pavement pattern and were $400 per tire in Canada.

·
Registered
128 Posts

Cheers
I haven't had those since like 2000 so I don't know I know they did do a big redesign and they're supposed to be better but if you want stuff for like wet especially like snow and even mud I absolutely loved my falken atw3s I had them on two cars and the 2nd I never hardly usedy rear locker they were so good. right now on my escape I have their at trails which is like a downplayed all terrain and I can tell you in the snow and mud they're amazing for not being a true all-terrain and they drive just like a stock tire and they last forever they don't wear down fast and every version of I've had even the ones I had on a sonata hybrid were awesome so I consider the falcon atw3s and they're usually a little bit cheaper than the KOs or if it's a daily driver you might consider just the 80 trails but if you want more aggressive I go with the atw3s but I don't think they make a size that fits the escape without a lift

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't had those since like 2000 so I don't know I know they did do a big redesign and they're supposed to be better but if you want stuff for like wet especially like snow and even mud I absolutely loved my falken atw3s I had them on two cars and the 2nd I never hardly usedy rear locker they were so good. right now on my escape I have their at trails which is like a downplayed all terrain and I can tell you in the snow and mud they're amazing for not being a true all-terrain and they drive just like a stock tire and they last forever they don't wear down fast and every version of I've had even the ones I had on a sonata hybrid were awesome so I consider the falcon atw3s and they're usually a little bit cheaper than the KOs or if it's a daily driver you might consider just the 80 trails but if you want more aggressive I go with the atw3s but I don't think they make a size that fits the escape without a lift
The AT3W'S are made in a 235/65r17, which will fit a stock 3rd gen escape with no lift 👍🏻 I have 235/65r17 AT trails and had them on before I lifted mine.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,450 Posts
I got offered the K02’s as a replacement but am a bit leery of their wet rd handling….lots of rain, curves and potholes around here.
Have you tried looking for reviews on sites like www.tirerack.com ? (Assuming they sell them ;) )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the info on Falkens guys, I’ll definitely see if they are an option as it sounds like they have the features I’m after.
Snow and dirt handling aren’t as important for me as the Escape has been really good with everything I’ve driven on so far (apart from the) punctures and that’s with standard rd tires. In my experience (and from talking to mates over the years) the handling in the wet and cornering are AT’s weak spots so I’m looking for tyres that are strongest in that regard.
Great to know 235/65/17’s will definitely fit as well, was considering sneaking up a size but didn’t want to deal with rubbing issues.

No I haven't had a chance to look through reviews, works been hectic with the border reopening but thanks for the tip, I’ll check them out when time allows.

The real world driving experience and feedback is mainly what I’ve been after, thanks for all the info so far guys, much appreciated!!👍

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think I’m going to try the Falkens in 235/65R17 108H WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL, gonna check out some reviews over the weekend. Seems that Can Tire only stocks them or the Pirelli Scorpions in that size and Falkens seem to generally have more positive reviews.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think I’m going to try the Falkens in 235/65R17 108H WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL, gonna check out some reviews over the weekend. Seems that Can Tire only stocks them or the Pirelli Scorpions in that size and Falkens seem to generally have more positive reviews.
I've been very happy with my AT trails. No durability issues at all so far, even on some fire roads made entirely of fist sized pieces of granite 😂 Post pics when you get them on!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah I was kind of scared that my AT trails wouldn't cut it but they've been amazing I haven't had any punctures like I said I'm over 20,000 miles and I do stuff that people would consider crazy for a Ford escape so I would go with them they're great dual purpose tire and they're going to drive just like normal tires and then if you want something a little more aggressive I would go with the atw threes and with those you will feel a very slight difference in driving one thing to note now I have 18 in rims so I don't have as many options as y'all but I went up two sizes to 235/60r18 with mine so I did have to remove the back mud flaps no problem and the front rub a very tiny bit if you get to full suspension flex (considering .08" front shock spacer to stop this and make clearance equal back but not sure it worth it and don't want to mess with stock suspension cuz it works perfectly as is and does everything I need besides the slight rub that rarely happens) and they're like .9 inches taller and I did feel a slight decrease in power cuz it's having to turn not only a larger diameter but it's slightly heavier wheel and tire so consider that too if you need a little more oomph I would recommend going to unleashed tuning I got there 87 octane tune and one heat range colder plugs gapped at .03 with the sctx4 and it's been really nice it gives a nice little bump in torque for just being a tune.

Reactions: Lewic
161 - 180 of 191 Posts