2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

amp and subs

26K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  2014SteveBuscemi 
#1 ·
has anyone installed subs and a amp in a 15 Escape yet? or has the wiring diagram for the 3 plugs in the OEM sony amp in the spare tire well?

#2 ·
do a search on this site, the '15 is the same as the '13 and '14

#3 ·
ya, im just learning this thing, only had the suv for 2 days. by the looks of the engine bay power wire is gonna be fun to run lol. looks like the least intrusive place is behind the glove box to run the wire through the firewall. the 2.0 and plastic covers everywhere is a tight fit.

I already have the wiring kit and line out converter its just finding the info that seems to be the problem. the remote wire seems easy ive read its the green wire off the push button start. I just don't want to break anything. I think I can pick up the rear speakers for the lineout out on the left and right harness between both doors. im excited and discouraged all at the same time lol.

#4 ·
Matthew welcome to the forum.

A good place to run the power wire is between the battery and the fuse box. If you look under the driver side there's a square piece of carpet cut out. behind that is a plastic/rubber grommet already in place on the firewall. Its pretty easy to reach and its easy to tuck it in under the carpet from that location.

#5 ·
sweet thanks for the advice migz, so remove battery for this im assuming. one down, now I just gotta find the best place to get remote power from, was hoping that I could get it from the amp input on the sony amp in the spare tire area. I also figure the easiest way to run the rca line out is right at the rear door speaker terminals then run them back to a common point close to the amp to hook up the line out..

this is what I want to hook up. :)

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum!

'twould help to be clear that you are working with the Sony system - lots of differences between that and the non-Sony so be sure what you are looking at in posts about other folk's audio mods.

Adding info about your vehicle to your sig-block is always helpful for those trying to help you, click "Add a custom signature" near the top of this page http://www.fordescape.org/forum/ ;-)

Reactions: atlcarl69
#10 ·
I tapped into an ignition wire which is behind the glovebox. There may be other ones but I had the glovebox out as I was doing other things and got my ignition from there. Once you remove the glovebox it is behind it on the right side. You cannot get to it without removing it. It is very easy to remove the glovebox. Below are some photos I just took (after removing the glovebox) so you can see the wire. It is the solid GREEN one up in the air coming out of the big white connector on the right side. That GREEN wire is the third hole down from the top left closest to the front of the connector.

Reactions: migz219
#12 ·
excellent, I shall use http://www.fordescape.org/forum/diy-garage/9378-diy-installing-swapping-factory-rear-speakers.html for installing the RCA line out converter, i'll pickup straight from the speaker terminals. only issue I see the the a-pillar between doors. how do remove the fairing. I cant find a DIY on the forum for it. I will run the wire through the factory grommet into this area then group it with the wire bundle running along the sills. I just don't wanna break the a-pillar fairing trying to remove it.

thanks for the help guys.

Cheers,

Matthew

P.S. Sorry for the double post.

#14 ·
post ***** extraordinaire, so its in, one last hitch is where do I ground the amp and capacitors? thought about using the seat mount lug down by the sony amp.
i'll post some pics tomorrow. haven't had base in my old tundra for 5 years gonna be sweet pounding them 10's again.
got them strobowoofers back in 2004 pounded them in my corolla for years, jvc had decent subs back then. lined the box with cotton and hit 131db's in the rolla. i'ma like them better now that i'm in a hatch back!

#16 ·
Ugh, still at it.

Ref A: Imgur
Ref B: Imgur

Ok so im having issues installing my line out converter. (more like i wanna do it right the first time)

1. in accordance with reference a, is wire CME27 (Enable) @ pin 3, plug C4326A a suitable circuit for remote wire? its the term "enable" that is making me want to assume that it is a accessory wire.

2. Does the audio unit contain its own amp? like aftermarket decks ie: 50x4 or does the DSP do all the work. im asking because im unsure if i should hook up the line out converter to head unit signal to DSP(ref A) or dsp output signal to rear speakers (ref b)

3. does anyone know the output of the sony DSP?, my line out converter can only handle up to 80watts per channel.

I would like to finish this installation this weekend, forum community help is appriciated.

#17 ·
... 1. in accordance with reference a, is wire CME27 (Enable) @ pin 3, plug C4326A a suitable circuit for remote wire? its the term "enable" that is making me want to assume that it is a accessory wire.
FWIW on my Non-Sony audio upgrade's I ended up using a PAC TR4 to sense the non-audio level voltage to a speaker and serve as the remote turn-on trigger for an external amp.

Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

When the OEM HU is activated by canbus signal from the BCM there is low-voltage (non-audio signal) present in the speaker outputs at the Non-Sony HU sufficient to trigger the TR4 and thence trigger turn-on of the external amp. For the Sony System I'm pretty sure that would be the same as catching any one of the (+) the speaker leads at C240B (or C4326A if you don't interrupt the signal before that connector).

Using the TR4 in this manner causes the external amp to turn-on and turn-off whenever the OEM audio system is activated by the BCM (e.g. turn-on when you open a door even before turning on 'entertainment' and turn-off when the BCM delay timers cause the OEM system to turn-off).

In another post I indicated concern that the TR4 was causing a turn-on thump .... that was solved by using the TR4 trigger to turn-on of all my external devices (JBL MS-8 DSP + subwoofer amp + 4-channel amp) simultaneously.

HTH

#22 ·
Saw that pic but can't read the model :rolleyes: - is that the JVC KS-AX7700 or KS-AX7300?

If yes, why are you using an LOC? Both of those units have High-Level speaker input per the PDF instructions I downloaded (see instructions page 7 under the bold heading "When your receiver is NOT equipped with Line output ...").

By using the provided built-in High-Level (Speaker-Level) inputs as instructed the JVC amp should invoke circuits designed to deal with the current from the OEM amp.

BTW, since the OEM DSP is providing all of the crossover filtering for the sub output you'll want to be sure that the crossover on the amp is turned off.

#23 ·
There is only 3 crossover settings full/low/high, imagine full in Japan means no crossover lol

I still need to find a decient wire for accessory power, from an earlier post does enable from the first yellow wire on ref a indicate it's the Sony dsp remote wire? If so I should be able to tap that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.