2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am going to be switching carriers in a month or so. Good opportunity for a new phone.

Currently using an iPhone 8 Plus, but have had some connection issues with Sync 3 and CarPlay not being detected.

Anyone want to comment that have used both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, which one do you find better and less glitchy?

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Trend 2L, Ruby red,Technology pack, SatNav, dashcam etc.
902 Posts
Have had 2 Android phones connected for around 2 years. Never had connection issues or any other problems.
Sorry...cannot comment on Apple CarPlay but others here use it.

·
Super Moderator
5,942 Posts
So I am going to be switching carriers in a month or so. Good opportunity for a new phone.

Currently using an iPhone 8 Plus, but have had some connection issues with Sync 3 and CarPlay not being detected.

Anyone want to comment that have used both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, which one do you find better and less glitchy?
You should be determining what phone you want. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto each have their plus and minuses. You should also research this. You will get answers from both Apple and Android fanboys saying their product is the best. You need to find a 3rd party review site to see what best fits your needs.

·
Registered
2020 Escape
82 Posts
Being an Apple guy, I say iPhone. I have an Android as a work phone and don't like the interface. It's tedious to use and, IMO, way too clunky. I will admit, I don't use carplay very often. All my Ford's can stream Pandora or Amazon Music without being in carplay mode. And I don't use WAZE.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should be determining what phone you want. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto each have their plus and minuses. You should also research this. You will get answers from both Apple and Android fanboys saying their product is the best. You need to find a 3rd party review site to see what best fits your needs.
I have been an Android user this whole time. I've been using an iPhone for the last 3 months because it was the only phone that I could BYOD to Sprint. Going to stick with them until I get my BYOD $300 rewards otherwise their service sucks. It was my wife's old phone. I'll be switching to AT&T and I'll have a chance to buy a new one then...
Honestly while I thought I would miss Android, iOS ain't too bad it has all the same apps I normally use. That being said, if Android works better in my car then I am all for it. Having Android Auto or Apple CarPlay was one of the reasons for buying a new car, so might as well use a phone that works with it well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have been an Android user this whole time. I've been using an iPhone for the last 3 months because it was the only phone that I could BYOD to Sprint. Going to stick with them until I get my BYOD $300 rewards otherwise their service sucks. It was my wife's old phone. I'll be switching to AT&T and I'll have a chance to buy a new one then...
Honestly while I thought I would miss Android, iOS ain't too bad it has all the same apps I normally use. That being said, if Android works better in my car then I am all for it. Having Android Auto or Apple CarPlay was one of the reasons for buying a new car, so might as well use a phone that works with it well.
I have iPhone.
My wife has android.

I personally suggest you use whichever you’re most comfortable with.

from all I can tell, on the CarPlay vs AA situation, carplay is more prone to glitches in its current version(Though those glitches also may be from apps not playing well, hard to trace exactly the issue), but also seems to have more capabilities.

I was going to suggest being careful of switching ecosystems, but since you don’t have much time invested in iOS, that’s less of a concern.

might be a good idea, to watch some videos of the interface to see if you like it or not.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I got tired of CarPlay connection issue, so I went and bought a Pixel 4. Here are the results between Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Let me know if you guys have the same experience.
These are my preliminary test results, both phones running latest updates and patches.

Android (Pixel 4):
Pros:
  • Every time I connect USB cable, Android Auto work
  • Android Auto Navigation shows up on the HU
  • Android Auto seems faster than CarPlay to load and operate
Cons:
  • Mobile Apps do not work. It doesn't work via Bluetooth, says to connect USB. When you connect USB it doesn't detect any apps. (not sure if this is an issue with the Pixel or just Sync3/Android all together)
iOS (iPhone 8 Plus)
Pro:
  • Mobile Apps work via Bluetooth and USB (when the app doesn't crash lol)
Cons:
  • Glitchy USB connection, CarPlay doesn't always activate
  • When CarPlay does work, it doesn't display navigation on the HUD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts