2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to REI in heavy traffic and bam the engine stumbles and misfires terribly. Check engine light went on. I limped to the ford dealer and you could hear a rumble under the hood and smell burned plastic or rubber. They are and excellent dealership and I am under warranty so no worries. My 2013 escape has already had many repair for un-drive able conditions such as the main harness replaced, the TBS splice, a plug come out of the intake manifold, I think also the MAF sensor was replaced. I wonder what this one is, maybe a timing belt, but at 32K? Good thing I have premium care extended warranty.... Alan

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They say the "plug" came out. This is the second time the "plug" came out. The service rep didn't know if the plug was in the cylinder head or the intake manifold. I looked at some parts pictures and can see two metal plugs in the side of the cylinder head. They ordered a new plug. My problem is it could be something other than the plug, like the hole and fitment. I called them as asked for a complete rundown of what was the cause for the second plug to come out. we will see...

·
Registered
982 Posts
I had the wiring splice done years ago but currently at the dealer for the recall for it (among many other things). Dealer explained the current repair/procedure may somehow be different than the previous hence Ford stating still has to be redone on my '13.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well they said the plug was replaced per the TSB. The service rep knew nothing more than that. Seems like another crap shoot.

Likely it is TSB-13-1-4. Anyone know where to get a copy?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
TSB 13-01-04 – 2013 Escape/ Fusion 2.0L (GTDI) Rolling/ Fast Idle – Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCS) P0507, P0171 and/ or P0174 – Built On Or Before 9/28/2012
Some 2013 Escape and Fusion vehicles built on or before 9/28/2012 and equipped with the 2.0L gasoline turbo direction injection (GTDI) engine may exhibit a rolling/ fast idle with DTCS P0507, P0171 and/ or P0174. This may be due to a missing plug on the left hand side of the intake manifold. Follow the Service Procedure in this TSB to correct the concern if it exists by installing the intake manifold plug using the instruction sheet provided in the kit.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, the third plug is now in. Hope it stays, I have my fingers crossed!!!!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found the plastic plug laying inside the engine compartment. it has a ~ 1.5 in round shaft 1/2 in in diameter. The new plug can be seen on the upper front right intake manifold. Just below the 2.0L top cover. The plug has an orange silicon looking gasket on it. The plug and the gasket look new. The old plug has no gasket. Anyhow just an observation.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No recalls listed.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I found the plastic plug laying inside the engine compartment. it has a ~ 1.5 in round shaft 1/2 in in diameter. The new plug can be seen on the upper front right intake manifold. Just below the 2.0L top cover. The plug has an orange silicon looking gasket on it. The plug and the gasket look new. The old plug has no gasket. Anyhow just an observation.
Possible pic of that? :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the plug pictures. I also attached on of the installed plug.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
weird. It looks like maybe could tie a string to it so if it pops out a guy maybe could do an on the road repair.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Here are the plug pictures. I also attached on of the installed plug.
Great! Will be a good reference, I'll need to take a look under my hood. ;)

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Checked mine, looks like the pic, with the 2 orange o-rings, but it has vacuum tubing attached to it, looking at the service manual, it looks like an alternative design on the Evaporative Emission System.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had a great hike at Cape Lookout. Saw a few gray whales feeding on the kelp beds at the tip. There was a baby also! Stopped at the Pelican Pub at Pacific City, it was 80+ degrees out!. I get off the expressway for my house and the engine starts to rev. and cough. The escape is in the garage and the intake plug is missing again, What a surprise, NOT! So this will be I think #4 , starting to loose count....

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I duck taped the hole and used a zip tie to secure it to get to the dealer. They are going to elevate this problem to ford engineering.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The duck tape / tie wrap worked well! When I go traveling in the outback with no cell service, I'll take some with me just in case the fourth plug pops out! :) Alan

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ford tech hotline advised, replaced the intake manifold and gaskets, checked the turbo and EEC diagnostics. Hopefully this is the end of the plug saga. Alan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts