2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Antimatter Blue Titanium PHEV

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  WSGosset 
#1 ·
Hello!

I've been lurking for a bit both before and after receiving my 2021 Titanium PHEV in Antimatter Blue.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

We put in our order in June and were pleasantly surprised to receive it on September 2nd. This is our first car purchase in 10 years, and our first new car purchase ever, and we are absolutely thrilled with it so far. After driving home from the dealership, my first trip was driving to the airport and getting a great electric vehicle spot with a free charging station. I think I can get used to the red carpet treatment.

We decided to go for the Titanium trim line to get the full CoPilot package and the upgraded headlights. I probably would have skipped on the upgraded upholstery and B&O stereo if given a choice, but I didn't mind paying the price to get the other features we wanted. We were moving from a minivan down to the Escape, so we added the roof rack and the towing package, with the idea that we can expand the carrying and hauling capacity as needed. Excepting some Smartliners as a gift from my in-laws, it is otherwise factory standard at this point. I'd like to get some film to protect the headlights (I hate scratchy foggy headlight plastic) and some splash guards. I'm not much of a car guy, so feel free to suggest other improvements.

One downside we knew going in is that the PHEV Escape is FWD only. Living in Michigan, we decided to buy a set of winter wheels and tires. I think I have a handle on the basics of wheel sizing to keep the overall diameter the same, but if anyone has experience fitting 4th gen Escapes for winter tires, I'm all ears.

Lastly, since I'll probably be asked about it, I'll mention price. The base price plus delivery came to $40,770. After X-Plan, $39,332. Between the X-Plan and some other promotions, $1950 got knocked off that price. The real kicker for us was $3000 extra from Ford corporate for trade in on our 2007 Kia Sedona mini-van with 125k miles on it. I'm pretty sure the dealership trade-in manager low balled it for $700 because he didn't want to deal with it (I don't blame him!), but with the extra trade in cash, we were able get far more than we would have made in a private sale (and without the hassle). All told, after the additional fees and taxes, we financed $36,136 over four years at 0.9%. Add in the tax credit, and I'm pretty happy with the result.

Safe travels!
WSG

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Congratulations on your purchase...very jealous. 😁
Splash guards from Ford for these cars are a ridiculous price. Plenty of aftermarket ones on EBay and Amazon etc. that fit perfectly using existing wheel arch fasteners and are a fraction of the price of OEM ones. Just read the reviews on them before purchasing and Google is your friend as you are no doubt aware. 😉
These cars have just about everything standard and the only other 'improvement' I can think of at the moment is perhaps a dashcam.

Reactions: WSGosset
#4 ·
I’m so jealous of the ev range! Maybe I can trade my titanium 2020 hybrid for 2021 se phev.

#5 ·
My son and I went camping and canoeing this weekend. On the way up, we stopped at a Ford dealership to charge up a little while grabbing some food and doing a little shopping. I misunderstood the speed at which a 220V outlet will charge, so we only got a partial top off from that, but on the way home we stopped at a state park and got a full battery while taking a 5 mile hike.

Tire Car Plant Wheel Vehicle

I really appreciated the lane keeping and radar cruise features on this trip (our first of any length). The car basically did all the driving on the highway, and I just took charge for the occasional lane change and to navigate surface streets. I do need to turn off the intelligent cruise speed. This was more trouble than it was worth when it suddenly dropped the speed, sometimes due to a misread sign (I think it read a license plate at one point and put us at 50 in a 75 zone).

#9 ·
My son and I went camping and canoeing this weekend. On the way up, we stopped at a Ford dealership to charge up a little while grabbing some food and doing a little shopping. I misunderstood the speed at which a 220V outlet will charge, so we only got a partial top off from that, but on the way home we stopped at a state park and got a full battery while taking a 5 mile hike.

View attachment 80107

I really appreciated the lane keeping and radar cruise features on this trip (our first of any length). The car basically did all the driving on the highway, and I just took charge for the occasional lane change and to navigate surface streets. I do need to turn off the intelligent cruise speed. This was more trouble than it was worth when it suddenly dropped the speed, sometimes due to a misread sign (I think it read a license plate at one point and put us at 50 in a 75 zone).
Nice car! We just purchased a 2021 Silver Escape SEL PHEV with 360 Assist+ and the Technology Package. I have only had one occasion to use the adaptive cruise control so far, and was impressed by the excellent response when a slow truck pulled in front of me on the highway. As far as speed identification, I was also told that it uses the camera to read the speed signs and not gps data to determine the speed limit, but have not yet seen the misreading issue - that seems like a serious problem.

On an unrelated note, is the state park in your photo in Michigan? Do most state parks in Michigan have EV charging readily available? I live in Wisconsin and the situation here is that you have to rent an electric campsite overnight to charge your car, so no option to charge if you are day hiking. I definitely plan to do some trips to Michigan that include hiking and camping, and my other vehicle is all electric so am very interested. Thanks for posting.

#6 ·
IACC relies ion gps data too, that is likely the source of the problem.

#8 ·
Yes, much darker than the online photos (renders?) suggest. In the dimness of my garage it looks straight black. In moderate sun it looks almost dark purple. You've got to have good light and get close to really see that it is blue.

I'd give it a B for hiding dirt and dust. Anything light colored will show up (I think you can see some road grime and bird droppings in the more recent photo), but since the paint tiny speckles in it, it can blend in a little.

#12 ·
Just took delivery on our 2021 ESCAPE PHEV Titanium last Friday. It is Anti-Matter Blue and definitely way darker than the online Ford Brochure shows. It is nearly black in most lighting. Metallic flakes show in just the right sunlight. So far we love the new Escape which replaced our 2010 Escape Hybrid. It is so much quieter and smoother riding,with appropriately responsive steering. We have all the Bells and Whistles and are still learning. For local driving the the All Electric mode is perfect for us. Looking forward to really learning the functions and checking out the MPG and MPGe.
Gary
Stanley, Idaho

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.