2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There HAS to be a way to "Speak Up" and let it be known that some of us want a lift !! Not everyone loves Jeep but still want a trail worthy vehicle. Bronco II comes to mind. I'm not looking for a rock crawler!! I love the look, drive and style of the FE and got one, thinking surely someone would have a lift for it by now. To the neigh sayers, not all off roaders have to be boxy and square! The escape is great off pavement with all terrains!! Just looking for more ground clearance. A spacer kit front and rear would keep the ride and thicker sway bars would take care of that. Heck i found a kit for the smart car even !!!??? Do we really have to resort to the competition to go to the cottage, or fishing... plus there's snow here 6 months of the yr!!! If i could afford it , i'ld a got a Raptor if it wasn't so huge! ANYWAY...hope someone's listening!! Thank You.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I am with you, I really want a small lift for some ground clearance when the Mrs and I go camping/hunting. I didn't need a truck so I stuck with a CUV. I just want an inch, just an inch lift then can go to a little larger tire. Come on people, give us what we want!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,218 Posts
Actually, a lift kit by using spacers (even a small amount) would radically alter the roll-center of the vehicle. Stiffer anti-sway bars do not negate that effect and have consequences in terms of altered understeer/oversteer characteristics. There's other consequences in terms of steering-system geometry being unavoidably altered (yes, even with spacers on the steering links).

All this has great potential to compromise the ability of the Escape's stability control system to do its job during, for example, a sudden evasive maneuver on the road. That because the vehicle roll-behavior would then quite probably be beyond the parameters considered in the stability control system algorithm.

Not saying it can't be done, obviously it can, but the potential liability for the vendor would be substantial (for good reason). I would at least hope that if/when someone makes such a kit available, they make very bold and full disclosure of the compromises such a modification would inherently incur.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Of course it would alter the roll over ability and stability control, but look at almost every other SUV on the market... quite a few have lift kits. Given most aren't unibody CUVs, but it would be nice for those who want a little extra ground clearance but don't want the ugly body of the Jeep Cheroke Trailhawk. I bought my E before the Jeep hit the market so the only other choice I had if I wanted a good ground clearance was a truck or body on frame SUV, both of which were too much seeing as I go off road 2-3 times a year. A lift kit would be nice because I wouldn't loose too much fuel economy, but I would still have a nice utility vehicle.

And if someone wants to use my vehicle as a test, just let me know...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was kinda hoping for those who WERE interested to chime in. Those of us who like taller rides usually know the physics of it. If safety of tipping over was such a concern, the escape and everything taller would not exist and we'ld all be in corvettes stuck on McDonalds speed bumps! But hey, we'ld all be able to run those pylons at 6 g's! Then we'ld need fighter pilot suits! Where would it end? I have a 2 " spacer lift with bigger rubber on my suzuki sx4 and the handling and roll difference was barely noticeable. In fact the biggest difference in handling came from the switch to all terrain tires. Which i expected. Manufacturers just have to put warning stickers on every bolt to cover there butts is all. :)

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Respectfully, why not get out of the box of thinking about lift kits and petition aftermarket manufacturers for a solution to your stated occasional need that presents much less of a compromise for the other 360 days of vehicle use? Yes, I'm suggesting you 'go for the gold' and ask for a solution that lets you have your cake ("I love...the drive..." you said) and eat it, too! ;-)

As an example, properly designed air shocks can offer several benefits When Inflated...
1. Offset the sag induced by camping/fishing trip cargo loads
2. Provide a small additional height boost above the normal static ground clearance
3. Stiffen the suspension to reduce bottoming on particularly rough terrain

The nice thing about this type of approach is that all of the compromises can be limited to times when the additional 'lift' is needed (e.g. when you enter rough tracks, easily accomplished with a built-in or very small portable air pump).

When not inflated, this type of solution has virtually no adverse effect on the 'normal' daily operation of the vehicle and more importantly, on the operation of the vehicle during those rare conditions when stability control is designed to help save your life.

Again respectfully, I've no doubt that your Sx4 mod was "barely noticeable". Only a fool would test that mod at the limits where the effect would be problematic ( I certainly do not suggest you are that fool ) and only an unfortunate person would find themselves in an emergency situation where the automated vehicle stability control kicks-in ( congratulations for not getting there! ) .

ps: i AM interested in mods to make vehicles work better for their owners, been doing it for 40+ years; I just like to find the BEST solutions involving the LEAST compromise ;-)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Sharp Gt. I did look them up a few times and can't figure out their website. What i gathered so far is they are springs for the first generation Kuga only. I think. A phone call would be in order and that alone would be the cost of a spacer kit from this side of the pond. :) Never mind shipping cost!
A thanks to you too Centex for your idea of air shocks which would definitely be the ultimate! But the price, ouch! I don't think they make em for the escape yet? Not sure. Have to check again.I found air bag levelers for the rear but don't like those since it's more that can go wrong... from experience. Air lines ,compressors and what not.
By the way, i did test my lifted sx4 to beyond limits of the all terrains. Stickier street tires on pavement would no doubt unsettle it but those limits few people would ever experience. Driver's z teaches us to brake strait is better in most cases then to try and avoid with hard steering inputs and end up tasting the rhubarb anyway, in most vehicles. Remember the warning stickers on 4x4 visors past? Huh, i never noticed, are they still there? Been replaced with air bag warnings. :)

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Neat stuff on that Delta 4x4 site.

The Google Translate result was pretty funny, but from looking at the catalog and price list it seems their Kuga +30mm (1.18") lift kit prices at about $445US (that price is subtracting the 19% VAT which would not be charged if shipped to the US). Beyond me to figure out if they'd fit the '13-'14 Escape, nor could I figure out if it fits both FWD and AWD models. Too bad they don't seem to have a UK distributor and the Australian Distributor website make no reference to parts for the Kuga line :(

As they mention, the +30mm isn't a lot but it provides fender clearance for a taller tire so there's that, too (perhaps similar to the Sx4 lift you did).

Nope, like lift kits, haven't seen any air lift shocks for the Escape in the US, either :(

Maybe there's a niche for you as an importer ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol, Wouldn't know where to begin! Not too many seem interested anyhow, surprisingly. Although many only go on forums with a problem.

2"spacer lift on an sx4 along with taller rubber and it's small footprint gave it surprising capability... cheap!!! I love it, but no where near as sophisticated as the FE. And underpowered.

I'ld be willing to bet some back yarder already has theirs lifted! Many many hidden talents out there!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I'm kicking this back up.

I'd like to level the front or get a tad of a lift. I am up north and deal with the snow etc. Also changing oil without ramps would be nice ;)

Facts to help us find some stuff.

The OLD gen aka 2012 Kuga is based off the C1 platform as well as the new kuga and escape. This could be good.

Lift:

Delta4x4 lift kit
body lift kit
"lift kit +30mm Ford Kuga
for front and rear
Distance blocks for spring and distance blocks for shock absorbers."
30mm
- Maybe this is just spacers?

Maybe that front skid plate too..... ;)

Spacer kits:

Spaccer - each spacer adds 12 mm, can use multiple. front and/or rear

SPACCER car lift kit / suspension lifting kits - lift your*Ford*Kuga
"Each SPACCER® will lift your car by 12 mm at any one wheel enabling lifts of 12/24/36/48 mm. You can lift the front axle, the rear axle, or front and rear axle of your vehicle."

Ebay spacers - say they fit the new E's
1.5" and 2.0" spacers

I just worry they haven't test fit them as they say, ford escape, mazda tribute and merc mariner 2001-2014.

I emailed delta4x4, see if I hear back. I'd like at minimum 1" higher on the front. Also that freaking bottom engine cover and air duct really takes away some height, but if you look without it on, the ac has a plug facing the ground, right there.. :/ I think an aftermarket with a small scoop in the rear (for turbo) could work....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Alright! I want to lift my Escapes too, however I don't dislike the rake look, so I'd lift front and back. I don't know how much 12milimeters looks on the height of car. But when I added 20mm spacers to my wheels it made a huge difference. Just don't want to get too little, or too many spacers... if I get them.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
spring spacers work for slight increases. I have even made a set for a car I rally-x. you don't gain any travel though.

another option is custom springs, which a fellow racer did. (iirc, he added 1" height and 50% to the spring rate)

Coil Spring Specialties | Request a quote
they're about $500 for a set of 4.
Even the old gen escapes had 1" spring lift from H&R. I was going to ask them about it, but its been 3 years in the current gen without anything :/ Or OME out of AUS. THey have the kuga, figured they'd be all over it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Even the old gen escapes had 1" spring lift from H&R. I was going to ask them about it, but its been 3 years in the current gen without anything :/ Or OME out of AUS. THey have the kuga, figured they'd be all over it.
Wouldn't hurt to ask if the kuga springs work on the Escape right?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to ask if the kuga springs work on the Escape right?
Alright, I'll fire off letters.

OME - ask about lift kit for 2013+ kuga/escape
H&R - Ask about 1" spring raise kit
Delta4x4 - I have already sent a message asking about their 30mm lift kit

Spacers - waiting for old gen escape owner to verify distance of the top strut bolts to see if they will fit ours

·
Registered
321 Posts
It looks nice. Looks like I'm gonna add it to my future plan list if other companies don't have comparable products.

Reactions: escape05xls

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
It looks nice. Looks like I'm gonna add it to my future plan list if other companies don't have comparable products.
Ya, I'm all about it, but it is 399 euro plus shipping/freight. So that is $439 + shipping :/ expensive....but if you think about it, not too bad. springs are about that.

It is still just a body lift, but I just want that front end up a few to get that stupid lower engine panel up., we lose 2-3 inches because of that thing...

1 - 20 of 313 Posts