2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time driving this vehicle at night . Turned from daylight to dusk to dark half way home on the 125 km trip .
Headlights came on low beam automatically . but automat hi /low did not work. Just stayed on low beam with bright lights approaching me and after they passed . .I actually pulled over and checked with a flashlight to make sure the knob was set to automatic. High beam works when either pulling up or pushing down on the lever . Is there a certain of level of darkness like approaching pitch black before the automatic Hi/Low works .? I loved that feature on my previous vehicle and at the level of darkness I was in the automatic feature would have surely worked on it .
Is there some trick that I am not aware of in Ford's system ?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Is there a setting in the dash menu to enable auto headlights as well as the knob?

Reactions: Colorado_Al

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think there's a setting in Sync that lets you turn on auto hi/lo and adjust the sensitivity

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think there's a setting in Sync that lets you turn on auto hi/lo and adjust the sensitivity
Thanks to all who answered . I will check for settings and then do a test drive after dark .

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked this morning and so far this is all I have found and it doesn't show any settings other than on or off settings and it was already set as on .Don't know what the automatic delay means so left it as is.
Heaslights Settings .jpg

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,621 Posts
Checked this morning and so far this is all I have found and it doesn't show any settings other than on or off settings and it was already set as on .Don't know what the automatic delay means so left it as is. View attachment 78968
Have you checked with your dealer? You must still be under warranty

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid with Premium Package Agate Black Metallic with Black Leather
64 Posts
Checked this morning and so far this is all I have found and it doesn't show any settings other than on or off settings and it was already set as on .Don't know what the automatic delay means so left it as is. View attachment 78968
Try toggling it on and off. I have had a few settings that weren't working right and then toggled on and off and things worked fine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you checked with your dealer? You must still be under warranty
Not yet. The reason I prefer to check stuff on forums first is that the dealer always want to book an appointment for days or weeks ahead and keep the car for a while so they can send a warranty bill through to ford even if it was just for a setting. Just hoping someone here might have had the same problem with an easy fix before taking the dealer route .

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid with Premium Package Agate Black Metallic with Black Leather
64 Posts
Auto delay is for when you lock and walk away from the car. You can choose how long the lights stay on after you lock up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for that one .
No problem. My auto wipers setting was set to on but they weren't working. So I went into the settings menu and it showed on, I toggled them off and then on and they were fixed, might be the same issue with the auto high beams.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No problem. My auto wipers setting was set to on but they weren't working. So I went into the settings menu and it showed on, I toggled them off and then on and they were fixed, might be the same issue with the auto high beams.
I would be shocked if that worked but it doesn't hurt to try the simple things first .

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would be shocked if that worked but it doesn't hurt to try the simple things first .
Better than a trip to the dealer. I have noticed a few technical quirks on my early build 2020 hybrid. I have had to turn the radio on and off several times after initial morning start.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,151 Posts
Auto high beam doesn't kick in until you're above 35mph and if you put your high beams on it doesn't over ride them and turn them off, you have to do so manually.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Auto high beam doesn't kick in until you're above 35mph and if you put your high beams on it doesn't over ride them and turn them off, you have to do so manually.
It was highway driving at 100 kmh . You say you have to use the high beams manually ? ? Yes It works that way and is what I had to do because no matter if the lever was pushed forward or back Automatic doesn't work . Pushing forwards is constant high beam and pulling back is momentary high beam to flick high beam on somebody approaching with high beams on . Any setting of the lever defeats the purpose of the automatic feature .
Had several vehicles with automatic lights that worked just great . Looks like it might be a dealer appointment to rectify this one just like I finally had to do with my radio problem .

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
@Barny...it does need to be pitch black as you suggest for the auto system to work.
On the route you travelled for the first time at night were there many curves in the road or were there street lights present?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Barny...on the route you travelled for the first time at night were there many curves in the road or were there street lights present?
No street lights for 80 km through the mountains .Sure , lots of curves but also lots of straight areas with transport trucks and cars approaching . I know how automatic lights should work I have had them before. Just not working (yet) on this one . I used manual hi/lo just like in some of my older vehicles .

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
No street lights for 80 km through the mountains .Sure , lots of curves but also lots of straight areas with transport trucks and cars approaching . I know how automatic lights should work I have had them before. Just not working (yet) on this one . I used manual hi/lo just like in some of my older vehicles .
Yes, I realize you know how they work. It is just that the Escape ones may act a little differently to others.
In my case they will not go to auto high beam if there are streetlights or even a hint of a curve or vehicle approaching.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I realize you know how they work. It is just that the Escape ones may act a little differently to others.
In my case they will not go to auto high beam if there are streetlights or even a hint of a curve or vehicle approaching.
I am aware of that and quite understandable .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts