2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Banned
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get a feel or general consensus on when folks plan on changing their ATF. Our 2013's are getting up there in miles. We all know that the manual states 150,000 intervals. But isn't this number a little high? Maybe to help reduce the operating cost of the vehicle to make it more marketable? This is not really a Ford thing, they are all doing it and trying to have the lowest cost.

I was thinking doing the simple fluid change every 50,000. The service DVD lists like 3 different levels of change depending on how much of the trapped fluid you want to get out.

I figure if I do the simple drain and fill often enough that will be fine. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
708 Posts
I haven't looked yet but do we even have an accessible drain plug and fill port (dipstick) for the tranny? I know my VW had the "magical" sealed transmission that never needed any fills or service for the "life" of the vehicle. Non the less when I had a tranny leak at 18k miles they opened it and replaced the seal, filter, and refilled the tranny. I'd say every 60k miles would be a good replacement time for the fluid especially with a 6 speed (more gear changes with regular driving and a more complex group of clutches and planitaries)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I typically cut the recommended interval in half....so 75k is when I would change fluid/filter.

And recommendations are the maximum with very good driving conditions. If you do a lot of stop and go, hills, off-roading, half the recommended value would be maximum.

Reactions: Elf911

·
Registered
423 Posts
I typically cut the recommended interval in half....so 75k is when I would change fluid/filter.

And recommendations are the maximum with very good driving conditions. If you do a lot of stop and go, hills, off-roading, half the recommended value would be maximum.
thats the best thing to do if you really care about your vehicle and want to keep it for a long time. even with the first oil change i over kill it all the time. Best to do what ever you can to get the most out o fit.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Question still is can you drain and refill this transmission or do you need to go under and use the weird hose/pump to refill like my VW?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just had my 30K service at the Ford dealership - they drained and filled the transmission fluid. Assumed that was standard. (?)

·
Banned
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't looked yet but do we even have an accessible drain plug and fill port (dipstick) for the tranny? I know my VW had the "magical" sealed transmission that never needed any fills or service for the "life" of the vehicle. Non the less when I had a tranny leak at 18k miles they opened it and replaced the seal, filter, and refilled the tranny. I'd say every 60k miles would be a good replacement time for the fluid especially with a 6 speed (more gear changes with regular driving and a more complex group of clutches and planitaries)
I did check the service DVD and there is a process to do the fluid change. No dipstick on our Escapes but there is a drain plug and fill port(I think). I will have to post the info when I get time. I remember it saying the vehicle should be running when you check the level. What I have done in the past is measure what I drain and replace with the same amount plus a dash more. Then I check the level and add if needed.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just had my 30K service at the Ford dealership - they drained and filled the transmission fluid. Assumed that was standard. (?)
same here I will do mine at 30k
Manual states 150,000 mile interval between changes. Your just throwing money away changing it any sooner than 75,000 miles IMO. Of course the dealership is going to suggest it, it's easy money....

Reactions: Rocko1

·
Registered
395 Posts
Manual states 150,000 mile interval between changes. Your just throwing money away changing it any sooner than 75,000 miles IMO. Of course the dealership is going to suggest it, it's easy money....
I purchased the pre-paid service plan from Ford. The 30K change is part of that plan...so technically it is money already spent. I know probably lots of opinions on if that was a bad idea to do or not - but I did it because we have 7 cars. My mechanic husband prefers to work on his old Camaro, his race car or his trucks. I wanted MY baby to get SOME TLC so I opted for this plan. :)

Reactions: bjeans

·
Registered
374 Posts
I purchased the pre-paid service plan from Ford.
Well, that's a different story. Get them to change fluids as often as they possibly can in that case :)

I had free service on my old Caddy....I was there every 3k for my free oil change lol getting as much free service as possible :) Plus the cappuccino was pretty good ;)

Reactions: 2014Escape

·
Registered
84 Posts
the 150k is due in large part to the synthetics they are using in the tranny fluid nowadays.

What is the average cost most are spending on the trans flush at the dealer vs at a lube shop?

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is a drain plug and a oil level check plug but no access to the filter unless you remove trans and split the case open .
I change my own 4.5 quarts at a time (quantity that you can drain from bottom plug) .
My first change was at 57,000 miles second will be at 110,000 miles
If you drain from the plug shown in related thread below you can change out 4.5 quarts .
Use only Motorcraft LV fluid. Available at Orielly Auto Parts @7.49 qt

Related thread :http://www.fordescape.org/forum/engine-technical-discussion/31353-6f35-level-plug-location.html

Link to Motorcraft LV Orielly

·
Registered
708 Posts
Had my FE in at the dealer recently for unrelated stuff and they do 30k tranny fluid and I believe the 4x4 different too...they also "recommend" some additive with the fluid changes that they swear help. More than a little skeptic, need to go back in about 3,000 miles for what would be my 31k oil change. Can't wait to see what they try to sell

·
Registered
483 Posts
There is a drain plug and a oil level check plug but no access to the filter unless you remove trans and split the case open .
I change my own 4.5 quarts at a time (quantity that you can drain from bottom plug) .
My first change was at 57,000 miles second will be at 110,000 miles
If you drain from the plug shown in related thread below you can change out 4.5 quarts .
Use only Motorcraft LV fluid. Available at Orielly Auto Parts @7.49 qt

Related thread :http://www.fordescape.org/forum/engine-technical-discussion/31353-6f35-level-plug-location.html

Link to Motorcraft LV Orielly

Where is the fill location though? I'm definitely on board with the small drains, and just do a few of them. I just don't know where to fill at.

·
Registered
483 Posts
iirc it is on the top to the right or behind your air intake box. Hard to find but if you get a flashlight you can dig around looking down and find it. It is just a plug you remove, sadly no dip stick.
So how would I know when to stop filling..?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts