2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I had my escape in for regular service @~50,000 kms. I was advised that the ATF should have been changed @ 48,000 kms.

I verified my recollection of the service interval in the manual @ 240,000 kms.

I questioned the difference and was told that because the car is used in canada the severe service interval applies.

I didn't find anything clear cut in the manual for severe service for the ATF.

I called another dealer and asked them, and after waiting on hold for a few minutes I was told 60,000 kms.

I change the oil/filter every 8,000 kms with full synthetic-so I'm not adverse to upping the key fluid maintenance intervals. I'd just like to know the real answer on the ATF change for a ford escape driven in the canadian climate

Note: I have towed infrequently with the vehicle: total weight was less than 1000 lbs and distance less than 100 kms.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I have owned two 2005 escapes with the CD4E transmission. It is known to be weak, but keeping the oil fresh in it, can help prolong the trans life. I didn't start changing fluid in that until 100k miles. Also I did the drain and fill method. It has a drain plug just like the engine. And you fill via the dip stick. Keeping the oil red/pink and non burnt smelling.

I am not familiar with this transmission. I haven't heard of any major issues. But 50km is like 31k miles? that seems pretty early.... If you do your own engine oil changes, you could check to see if there is a drain plug on your transmission and just do your own drain/fill. Should be around 3qt's. Just measure the fluid that came out. You do not want to overfill the trans...or under fill...bad news. You will want to check the trans fluid (via dip stick) while the car is warm and running.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
One could argue that there is no right or wrong. But the first change is one of the most important and should be done early. This gets all the wear-in stuff out of the transmission. Here is a very informative video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMoTqPBIyGw

Many people complain about the transmission filter not being serviceable. But you have to remember, when the filter gets so much debris in it that its not circulating the fluid anymore, your transmission is probably already worn out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Those are great videos!
BUT, he is showing us a pre-2013 escape. The 2013+ escape has no transmission dipstick.
There is a transmission vent cap on the top of the transmission, just to the pass. side of the air cleaner box. This is where to add fluid. There is a fluid level plug in the side of the transmission case just forward of the left drive shaft.
To fill the transmission, it is necessary to fill the transmission until fluid exits the fluid level hole with the engine running. Mine takes just a little more than 4 qrts after a simple drain.
IMPORTANT; it is then necessary to fully warm up the transmission and again remove the fluid level plug with the engine running to remove excess fluid from heat expansion.
Hope this helps everyone.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Those are great videos!
BUT, he is showing us a pre-2013 escape. The 2013+ escape has no transmission dipstick.
There is a transmission vent cap on the top of the transmission, just to the pass. side of the air cleaner box. This is where to add fluid. There is a fluid level plug in the side of the transmission case just forward of the left drive shaft.
To fill the transmission, it is necessary to fill the transmission until fluid exits the fluid level hole with the engine running. Mine takes just a little more than 4 qrts after a simple drain.
IMPORTANT; it is then necessary to fully warm up the transmission and again remove the fluid level plug with the engine running to remove excess fluid from heat expansion.
Hope this helps everyone.
Is there an actual drain plug, at least?

No dip stick? Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh I HATE when they do that...Or like Dodge not putting drain plus on their pans....

·
Vendor
2013 1.6L EcoBoost SE, Tuxedo Black
449 Posts
So, first, thank you guys for posting all of this. I'm trying to get my head around the right way to do this to sum up all of what's been discussed.

On top of that, I'm talking with some old timers at work here, and they don't believe me that my '13 SE doesn't have a dipstick.

Am I correct in saying that there's not a replaceable filter? That there IS indeed a filter built in, but not one that is considered a disposable cartridge part?

Also, to change the fluid, this is the process I have understood so far, so please correct me if I'm mistaken:

1) Raise the car and keep it level.

2) Remove the skid plate, and open the drain plug.

3) Measure the amount of fluid drained out.

4) Put plug back in and refill the amount of fluid drained via the port in the engine compartment. Stop filling when fluid begins draining from the overflow hole.

5) Re-install bolt/plug from overflow hole.

6) Start Engine and allow fluid to stabilize at operating temp

7) Remove bolt/plug from overflow hole once more and add fluid/drain fluid as needed until overflow is achieved

8) Re-install bolt/plug in overflow hole once more and reattach skid plate.

Am I correct in this?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
514 Posts
So, first, thank you guys for posting all of this. I'm trying to get my head around the right way to do this to sum up all of what's been discussed.

On top of that, I'm talking with some old timers at work here, and they don't believe me that my '13 SE doesn't have a dipstick.

Am I correct in saying that there's not a replaceable filter? That there IS indeed a filter built in, but not one that is considered a disposable cartridge part?

Also, to change the fluid, this is the process I have understood so far, so please correct me if I'm mistaken:

1) Raise the car and keep it level.

2) Remove the skid plate, and open the drain plug.

3) Measure the amount of fluid drained out.

4) Put plug back in and refill the amount of fluid drained via the port in the engine compartment. Stop filling when fluid begins draining from the overflow hole.

5) Re-install bolt/plug from overflow hole.

6) Start Engine and allow fluid to stabilize at operating temp

7) Remove bolt/plug from overflow hole once more and add fluid/drain fluid as needed until overflow is achieved

8) Re-install bolt/plug in overflow hole once more and reattach skid plate.

Am I correct in this?

Thanks in advance!

a) No dipstick, like many transmission in the last 15 years, the sight plug on the side of the trans is used for filling

b) There is not serviceable filter.

c) Frequency of changing ATF. Normal driving no mileage given in manual. Towing or using a car top carrier, every 30K. Excessive idling, every 30K, Dusty or sandy conditions every 30K.

d) Method of ATF replacement. The workshop manual method is using a fluid exchange machine at the Ford dealership. The exchange method replaces all the fluid (9 quarts) including the torque converter.

I am a DYI guy and have many years of auto repair. Without a fluid exchanger, the only alternative is to replace the ATF in the case multiple times to gain a somewhat clean fluid replacement. My opinion is by the time you change the fluid out say 4 + times it will be cheaper and safer to have Ford do the fluid exchange. My escape has been driven in the mountains and on dirt roads on summer hiking and backpacking outings. I will have my ATF replaced at the ford dealership when I am at 30K. Nothing worse that replacing a very complicated and expensive transmission.

Reactions: Jammer717

·
Registered
514 Posts
It's 150k miles for normal service interval per the maintenance schedule.
I agree it does say 150K. It also says to consult your dealer for requirements whatever that means. With average yearly mileage, I expect the transmission will have a melt down if the fluid isn't changed until 150K. I won't try that out.

·
Vendor
449 Posts
a) No dipstick, like many transmission in the last 15 years, the sight plug on the side of the trans is used for filling

b) There is not serviceable filter.

c) Frequency of changing ATF. Normal driving no mileage given in manual. Towing or using a car top carrier, every 30K. Excessive idling, every 30K, Dusty or sandy conditions every 30K.

d) Method of ATF replacement. The workshop manual method is using a fluid exchange machine at the Ford dealership. The exchange method replaces all the fluid (9 quarts) including the torque converter.

I am a DYI guy and have many years of auto repair. Without a fluid exchanger, the only alternative is to replace the ATF in the case multiple times to gain a somewhat clean fluid replacement. My opinion is by the time you change the fluid out say 4 + times it will be cheaper and safer to have Ford do the fluid exchange. My escape has been driven in the mountains and on dirt roads on summer hiking and backpacking outings. I will have my ATF replaced at the ford dealership when I am at 30K. Nothing worse that replacing a very complicated and expensive transmission.
Thanks for the feedback! It totally makes sense that it would be best and most thorough to have a complete 9 qt flush as you said. Everybody I've talked to though has said that the flush machines churn things up and the bits of metal get thrown back into the gears...

I'm out of warranty as well, so it would cost me around 275-300 to bring it to the dealer.

I'm on the fence here as I'm @ ~67K miles.

Do you have an opinion on the drain vs flush machines? Have you heard anything similar to what I'm talking about in reference to the shards and bits being thrown back into the gears?

Thanks!

·
Registered
514 Posts
How does your trans shift at 67K miles? I would take a look at the color of the ATF. It should be clean, clear / transparent fluid, with virtually no odor. If it has a brown tint or has a slight burnt odor, it should be changed. I have always performed a manual drain and filter change. But with this trans you will only drain ~ 1/2 of the fluid each time. I see nothing wrong with draining 4-5 times, its just a pain doing it and there's allot of fluid to dispose of. Regarding the exchange method. I have to believe that Ford has validated equipment and a good standard operating procedure since a failure with be really expensive to fix. Do not let jiffy lube do an exchange, before I was married, my wife had them do it and they ruined the trans.

·
Registered
137 Posts
so according to the manual - page 351 in the one I have, service interval for transmission in normal driving is
Change automatic transmission fluid Every 150000 miles (240000 km).

If you operate your vehicle primarily in any
of the following conditions, you need to
perform extra maintenance as indicated.
If you operate your vehicle occasionally
under any of these conditions, it is not
necessary to perform the extra
maintenance. For specific
recommendations, see your dealership
service advisor or technician.
Every 30000 miles (48000 km) Change automatic transmission fluid.

Unless you are in the north of Canada, where there is extreme winter cold, you are probably driving 'normally'. I live in southern Ontario, so in my opinion, that is normal driving conditions. When I got my car, first thing they did was try to schedule an oil change for 8000km - which is of course way too soon, but this is where they make lots of money, so they try to get you to change your fluids frequently. My dealer tries to tell me the OLM is not accurate and I should always change my oil every 8,000 Km or 6months. $$$$$

·
Vendor
449 Posts
How does your trans shift at 67K miles? I would take a look at the color of the ATF. It should be clean, clear / transparent fluid, with virtually no odor. If it has a brown tint or has a slight burnt odor, it should be changed. I have always performed a manual drain and filter change. But with this trans you will only drain ~ 1/2 of the fluid each time. I see nothing wrong with draining 4-5 times, its just a pain doing it and there's allot of fluid to dispose of. Regarding the exchange method. I have to believe that Ford has validated equipment and a good standard operating procedure since a failure with be really expensive to fix. Do not let jiffy lube do an exchange, before I was married, my wife had them do it and they ruined the trans.
Hey Alan,

So far, it shifts really smooth still. Sometimes when I'm going from D-R, there's a slight jolt, but it may just be my foot not holding the brake long enough hah. I haven't jacked up my car yet to take a look at the fluid.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Let us know what your fluid looks like. Maybe the Escape trans can go longer w/o a fluid change, but 150K seems allot to me. My last car needed a fluid change badly at 40K.

Ford instructions for fluid change. Connect the Fluid Exchanger to the transmission fluid cooler tube after the transmission fluid cooler on the return tube. This will help remove any foreign material trapped in the transmission fluid coolers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I realise this thread is a little old, however I had my transmission fluid changed at the local dealer today. They used synthetic fluid. $132.00 for this fluid. Must be good stuff. I can say that on the drive home, the escape seems to shift smoother.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I realise this thread is a little old, however I had my transmission fluid changed at the local dealer today. They used synthetic fluid. $132.00 for this fluid. Must be good stuff. I can say that on the drive home, the escape seems to shift smoother.
The correct way to change it is to drain, refill, warm up engine, move selector through gears, drain, refill, repeat one more time. Or, use a flushing machine.

If they did either way, the price is fair. If they only drained it once, the price is pretty high.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got my transmission flushed yesterday with the 30K mile scheduled maintenance at my mechanics shop. I had all the inspections, tests, tire rotation, flush, and cabin air filter done. I waived the oil and air filter change as I am still good on my oil life and the air filter is K&N and put it on last season. Came out to $245. What did you all pay for your preventative maintenance at 30K?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts