2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Because most NEW cars have such extended service schedules (plugs 100K, anti-freeze 100+ K, oil changes 10K etc..) dealer service departments lose out on revenue. So the dealers created their own (nice colorful pamphlets) service schedules which is about 1/2 or less the time of the owner's manual schedule.

Sticking to the owner's manual schedule is the usual rule of thumb with paying attention to the finer print for when the vehicles are used in extreme conditions (towing, stop-n-go, high heat regions etc..)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Changing 6F35 Transmission Fluid Question (Intervals)

I am not a fan of believing the lifetime fluid or 150K mile interval on the Merchon LV tranny fluid for our vehicles. Not to say that the transmissions or the fluid are flawed purposefully, but I have had my fair share of problems of different cars in the past. Worse off I recently had a 2016 Focus that died at 30K miles on it (I know that was a dry trans which is not really part of this discussion).

My question is I have a 2014 with 28K on it now. I replaced all fluids and plugs with the exception of the transmission fluid (I like to start fresh when I buy a used car) - Will it be ok to go through the winter and change it in the spring, or is it best to do this every 30K as suggested by a guy like this:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
That's a pretty good price, I may buy some myself.

Yes, if you can accurately measure what you take out then you can put back in the same amount.

I did 2 drain and fills the first time, around 22,000 miles. Then a single drain and fill every 30,000.

The reason for the 2 drain and fills early on was to get rid of any wear-in particles from the new transmission.

Reactions: bigbirchlake

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just want to let you guys know, my mechanic told me :"you should've came early for a transmission fluid change."

I changed it at 88 000 km. It was black. Its necessary to keep the transmission working for years to come.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was reading that the Ford Escape 2014 had specifically rather fragile transmission. So I tried to find in the service manual when the fluid needed to be changed. Not finding it, I phoned the dealer directly (the dealer who’s been servicing my Escape for a while when we’re talking more specific tasks). I don’t need my dealer to replace brakes as an example. So the technical advisor at the dealer told me that it had to be replaced at 240,000 km (roughly 150,000 miles). I asked him if it had exceptions. Basically he told me “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. As far as I know, it never leaked but at 51,000 miles I will check tomorrow for traces of leaks at my friend’s garage because we’re replacing the brakes with a new PowerStop kit (those fancy rotors and ceramic pads).

Then I made some research on this forum and I read several comments about changing the fluid every 50,000 miles as a precautions. On the other side, many people are saying that changing the fluid can actually damage the transmission.

My Escape has a relatively easy life: rarely towing a trailer, plugged outside when winter nights go below 0 degrees F, as well as being washed and cleaned thoroughly in winter in a heated garage once every 2-3 weeks (I should have built a bigger garage for my two cars but it’s too late now so one has to stay outside when the other one goes in).

My transmission is working flawlessly so far. Who should I listen to and what should I do?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,227 Posts
I was reading that the Ford Escape 2014 had specifically rather fragile transmission. So I tried to find in the service manual when the fluid needed to be changed. Not finding it, I phoned the dealer directly (the dealer who’s been servicing my Escape for a while when we’re talking more specific tasks). I don’t need my dealer to replace brakes as an example. So the technical advisor at the dealer told me that it had to be replaced at 240,000 km (roughly 150,000 miles). I asked him if it had exceptions. Basically he told me “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. As far as I know, it never leaked but at 51,000 miles I will check tomorrow for traces of leaks at my friend’s garage because we’re replacing the brakes with a new PowerStop kit (those fancy rotors and ceramic pads).

Then I made some research on this forum and I read several comments about changing the fluid every 50,000 miles as a precautions. On the other side, many people are saying that changing the fluid can actually damage the transmission.

My Escape has a relatively easy life: rarely towing a trailer, plugged outside when winter nights go below 0 degrees F, as well as being washed and cleaned thoroughly in winter in a heated garage once every 2-3 weeks (I should have built a bigger garage for my two cars but it’s too late now so one has to stay outside when the other one goes in).

My transmission is working flawlessly so far. Who should I listen to and what should I do?

Thanks.
I merged your thread with one of the many existing threads asking this. Have a look at some of the other posts for possible help.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I had already read these threads but still can’t make up my mind. These threads are already 3 years old so I though maybe new information could come out.
Most here recommend that you change the transmission fluid every 30,000 to 50,000 miles regardless of the manual and dealer advice of every 150,000 miles or whatever.
The possible damage you speak of is if you have a transmission flush as well which can possibly throw any grit or old metal particles in the system into the torque converter or other components so perhaps you should avoid having a flush done.
There is plenty of info here if you want to do it yourself if you scroll back or do a search.

Reactions: Gryffindor101

·
Registered
29 Posts
Most here recommend that you change the transmission fluid every 30,000 to 50,000 miles regardless of the manual and dealer advice of every 150,000 miles or whatever.
The possible damage you speak of is if you have a transmission flush as well which can possibly throw any grit or old metal particles in the system into the torque converter or other components so perhaps you should avoid having a flush done.
So basically, you just let gravity do the job and you refill it to the top nut. I have no clue as how to do a transmission flush. With compressed air?

Also, I read that some transmissions have a filter and some don’t. What about mine?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
So basically, you just let gravity do the job and you refill it to the top nut. I have no clue as how to do a transmission flush. With compressed air?

Also, I read that some transmissions have a filter and some don’t. What about mine?
A dealer or trannie shop would have the gear to do a transmission flush but as I suggested I would avoid having this done for the reasons stated.
I would not be too concerned about the filter and just follow instructions on previous posts on this thread. Briefly, to do the job properly you should do 3 drain and refills over time as all the old fluid will not be removed with your first drain and do a final level check after the third refill at the fill hole you mention after running the car.
In my case I do not have the gear or confidence to do this so my mechanic will be doing the job. Often they have syringes or oil pumps to remove nearly all the fluid before the refill.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
It is an internal filter. No way to change it without opening up the transmission.

Just remember this, if the filter has that much debris and wear material your transmission would need servicing anyway.

Your best course of action is to drain and fill every 30,000 or as often as you can manage. This keeps the fluid clean thus not wearing things faster. The solenoid pack benefits from clean fluid. A lot of passages in there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am going to think about this. The car is at 51,000 miles so I still have time (I am probably driving 3-4K per year because I have a summer car). And we haven’t mentioned the fluid. Motorcraft, since it already has that inside? This is a round trip of 90 minutes for me but I have an auto part store at 15 minutes (round trip 30 minutes). If I am to replace the liquid tomorrow with my mechanics replacing the brakes, I need some fluid. And how much of it?

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0
80 Posts
I am going to think about this. The car is at 51,000 miles so I still have time (I am probably driving 3-4K per year because I have a summer car). And we haven’t mentioned the fluid. Motorcraft, since it already has that inside? This is a round trip of 90 minutes for me but I have an auto part store at 15 minutes (round trip 30 minutes). If I am to replace the liquid tomorrow with my mechanics replacing the brakes, I need some fluid. And how much of it?
I took 10 quarts of Mercon to my Ford dealer who charged me $100 labor. I'm getting close to 80k miles. I don't know if it's psychological but it definitely feels smoother.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I took 10 quarts of Mercon to my Ford dealer who charged me $100 labor. I'm getting close to 80k miles. I don't know if it's psychological but it definitely feels smoother.
If you just do a drain and fill, you only need about 4 qts. I've just been doing the drain and fill a couple of times and so far have put in about 12 qts of fluid. I'm only at 47,000 miles on mine, but I do it myself, so the only expense is the fluid and the few 'cold snacks' along the way.. ;)

Mitch

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you just do a drain and fill, you only need about 4 qts. I've just been doing the drain and fill a couple of times and so far have put in about 12 qts of fluid. I'm only at 47,000 miles on mine, but I do it myself, so the only expense is the fluid and the few 'cold snacks' along the way.. ;)

Mitch
How long does it take to drain? I supposed the transmission has to be hot (but too much)?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts